ABC video rights | Golden Skate

ABC video rights

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I saw on the FB page, "The Skating Lesson" that they seem to have a remarkable ability to post new Youtube vids of ABC (at least) skating events, like the skates recently posted on the 1996 worlds. While the quality is not the best , I wonder how they came to find them and get permission to use them?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Mostly from people sending him DVDs of old competitions, likely digitized from old VHS collection, hence the quality.

As for permission, I guess he just uploads them until the copyright monkeys tell him to take the videos down.

Too bad we can't always have those magical 1080p Japanese broadcast videos from the 90's. :laugh: I mean, come on! 1994 Olympics in 1080p!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Mostly from people sending him DVDs of old competitions, likely digitized from old VHS collection, hence the quality.

As for permission, I guess he just uploads them until the copyright monkeys tell him to take the videos down.

Too bad we can't always have those magical 1080p Japanese broadcast videos from the 90's. :laugh: I mean, come on! 1994 Olympics in 1080p!
I think you are right. That's what I did. I am going through my old DVD collection...DVDs I created when I have a VHS/DVD recorder burner. It didnt help when Universal Sports was broadcasting skating in standard definition. After 2010 sometime, PaulE turned me on to the Magnavox DVR recorder/DVD burner. There IS a person on the web who I wont mention here who has helped me numerous times. He advertises a large collection of old skating vids on DVD sans commercials at a reasonable price. Super nice guy. He sells DVDs by the size of the disc you want. So if you want a DVD with 4 hours of skating at that quality, you can ask him for pairs free from one event and ladies short from another....

Amei

Record Breaker
I don’t think ABC is as stingy as NBC. There are all sorts of old ABC skating stuff on YouTube even before TSL started posting their stuff.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that what's being posted that's ABC is at like a decade or more old, whereas the NBC content is far more recent.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I wonder what the statue of limitation is, because there are plenty of unblocked youtube videos from the 2018 Olympics.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I wonder what the statue of limitation is, because there are plenty of unblocked youtube videos from the 2018 Olympics.
Here we call it copyright protection. Any video content produced as of January 1, 1978, is copyrighted for the creator's lifetime and 70 years after that. Anonymous content, however, is protected by copyrights for 95 years after publication and 120 years after creation. Jul 14, 2020