Alena Kostornaia | Page 189 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Alena is so strong for being able to skate like that after hearing Anna’s score. Those triple axels were beautiful and I could tell that she held the landings a second longer so she could get that high GOE, smart girl. I feel like she was a little tentative during that performance because she didn’t want to make a major mistake. She should be proud because her score was still close to Anna’s despite having no quads. I hope that she isn’t too disappointed and will still have fun during the gala. I am so glad that she was in the top two.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
So close! I feel like she could have gotten it with better landings on the 2A and 3F-3T, but we'll never know.

Onwards and upwards, Aliona!

SXTN

Final Flight
So close! I feel like she could have gotten it with better landings on the 2A and 3F-3T, but we'll never know.

Onwards and upwards, Aliona!

I don't think so. Because the small errors on the 2A and 3F-3T weren't severly deducted.

I'm curious to know if Aliona will introduce a quad this season. She doesn't need more than one in my opinion. A 4T instead of the 2A maybe? If Liza can do a 4T, she can do too. Her 3T is huge.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Well, she is a three time National medalist now. Silver is better than bronze, I‘m happy she climbed a step up. She was tighter than usually but held it together incredibly well after seeing Anna‘s skate. She looked disappointed and I understand her. For me she‘s still the best, though. And she should be proud of skating cleanly and landing two gorgeous 3As. :)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
This silver would be gold anywhere else but Russia. Aliona has nothing to be ashamed, nothing to be sad for. I understand the motivation is always the highest, but she delivered two outstanding performances (that so much talked SP was superb, without a debate). The fight at Euros and Worlds will be outstanding, this is the new level of ladies skating.

dhjh811

On the Ice
Would've been gold in an international competition. Congrats to Aliona!!! Hope she got extra fired up today to win Euros and WC.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I’m sure she’s upset about the not so great landings on 2 of her best jumps - but she will come back strong next time. And her 3As were the best we’ve ever seen from her - so secure and fully rotated!

Daniil mentioned she is working on 4S and it sounds like she’s already landed it. I hope we see it at Euros!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I would be ecstatic if she could master the 4sal by worlds. Imagine her four opening jump passes being 3a2t, 3a, 4sE3s, and 4s!!

dhjh811

On the Ice
No, I calculated it and it wouldn't have been enough

I've seen you in forums speaking badly of not only Alena's scores (which could at least be understandable if you were objective), but also her character. Why are you here and commenting that? Do not do this in her fan thread. Thank you.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Congratulations to Aliona on her silver medal! She skated beautifully today, even with those tight landings on those two jumps. She hit that 3F combo right on the beat today, which had me drumming my hands on the table, and was pretty much on top of the music the whole way through, which she wasn't in her last two outings for the FP. It was sad to see her despondent afterwards, as I think she really wanted to win, but she did a wonderful job, and delivered a skate which she can be proud of (though I guess she doesn't feel that way right now).

SkateSkates

Medalist
It seems like she lost about 1.50 points in GOE from the 2A and flip combo based on her usual GOE for those elements. So it would have been really close but unless she got a bit of an additional PCS boost for going totally clean it would’ve been hard for her to beat Anna’s score. And I think she was so upset because she knows how much she can get for those elements and how much she lost by.

Hopefully this spurs her on to improve further (of course taking her health into account). And Daniil - please release the 4S video. :)

Batsuchan

Medalist
So as I posted earlier, I had thought that it would be very difficult for Aliona to win Russian Nationals if Anna or Sasha went clean, and Aliona wasn't her best in the FS, but it does still sting a bit... :sad4: It made me sad to see her look so disappointed in the kiss & cry and afterwards. :sad21:

Of course, I *always* want Aliona to skate her best, and I'm always rooting for her to win, but there is a part of me that thinks that coming in second here is a good thing. I think it will only motivate Aliona to work harder, and it is clear that she needs a quad if she wants to be able to "control her own destiny." :yes:

I am a bit puzzled by Daniil's recent interviews though. :unsure: After GPF, he said that they would try to teach Aliona quads, but probably not until the season is over, and now, all of a sudden, she has a 4S that she wanted to try at Nationals, but they wouldn't let her?? :confused:
https://rsport.ria.ru/20191228/1562978788.html
Did Aliona learn a quad in two weeks, like she did with the 3A?? :eek: I mean, I guess I wouldn't be that surprised! :laugh:

I do have to say that her 3A is looking better than ever, with a nice tight rotating position, and if she has been working on a quad, it would make sense that the 3A now seems comparatively easier to her! :yes:

JUST PLEASE DON'T GET INJURED, ALIONA!!! :pray:

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Wow that’s exciting that Alena has a quad salchow!! I bet it is massively huge!! I was wondering how Alena was going to try to stay on top of her competitors. This is a good way to do it!! Knowing this I bet that Aliona is upset that she couldn’t jump the quad and possibly win. If she would have landed it, then it would have been enough to win.

LuffyJackson

Rinkside
So as I posted earlier, I had thought that it would be very difficult for Aliona to win Russian Nationals if Anna or Sasha went clean, and Aliona wasn't her best in the FS, but it does still sting a bit... :sad4: It made me sad to see her look so disappointed in the kiss & cry and afterwards. :sad21:

Of course, I *always* want Aliona to skate her best, and I'm always rooting for her to win, but there is a part of me that thinks that coming in second here is a good thing. I think it will only motivate Aliona to work harder, and it is clear that she needs a quad if she wants to be able to "control her own destiny." :yes:

I am a bit puzzled by Daniil's recent interviews though. :unsure: After GPF, he said that they would try to teach Aliona quads, but probably not until the season is over, and now, all of a sudden, she has a 4S that she wanted to try at Nationals, but they wouldn't let her?? :confused:
Did Aliona learn a quad in two weeks, like she did with the 3A?? :eek: I mean, I guess I wouldn't be that surprised! :laugh:

I do have to say that her 3A is looking better than ever, with a nice tight rotating position, and if she has been working on a quad, it would make sense that the 3A now seems comparatively easier to her! :yes:

I think by "try to teach quads" they could actually mean officially putting in a program, because Alyona had mentioned before in her interview about her trying 4S in a harness

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Yeah, but Daniil said that they didn't let her train it a lot/hard and put it into programs, because the priority is for Aliona to stay healthy. :pray:

paulusfr

On the Ice
I wonder why she doesn't try a quad flip or lutz. I mean, it's clearly easier than the quad sal. Ask Shcherbakova about that, massive prerotation would definitely help. And why should she work on fixing her flutz if Shcherbakova's one doesn't get called?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alyona Kostornaya: to perform at the Olympics in equestrian sports - why not?

The winner of the Grand Prix Final this season Alyona Kostornaya on Saturday became the Silver medalist of the Russian Figure Skating Championship. In an interview with reporters, among whom was Andrey Simonenko, the figure skater summed up the results of the competition, shared her plans for the future and said that she does not exclude performances not only at the winter, but also at the summer Olympics.

-- Alyona, some time has passed since the competition ended, have you already managed to comprehend the results of the Russian championship?

- I will be more serious about training, skating, everything. And try to be more disciplined.

-- You've lived through your emotions over the fact that you lost by two points?

- Yes, I was very sorry. There was a fairly large margin after my short program. It was not enough for the free program. I need to try new elements, perform them, complicate my program. And skating cleanly, not loose points on those jumps, where I could have gained a lot.

-- When you were asked at a press conference about your victory in the Grand Prix Final, you said that for you this is just a medal in your collection. Perhaps this approach will help to treat the silver of the Russian championship more philosophically - after all, a medal can be not only gold?

- Standing on the podium is one thing, but everyone is chasing after clean skating runs. Therefore, first of all, I want skate out my program cleanly. If I skated the program cleanly and became second or third, there would have been different sensations. I didn’t deliver what I am capable of.

-- Anna Shcherbakova competed right before you, and her scores were announced when you were already on the ice. Could this affect the performance?

- In fact, I don’t listen to scores when they are announced. I looked, but did not pay attention.

-- The trainer-choreographer of your group, Daniil Gleikhengauz, spoke about that you already think about the quad Salchow.

- Yes, I tried it a couple of times in training. There was practically no full completion, since it is still a raw jump, which must be learned from scratch. But along its trajectory I fly smoothly, so there are chances.

-- Why Salchow?

- Why not? I learned the triple Salchow first.

-- Do you set yourself a task to learn all the quadruple jumps in your career?

- No, it seems to me that this is rather the task of Sasha (Trusova), and not for her career, but for her record book (laughs). I don’t have one, I just go step by step.

-- What are your tasks then?

- Enjoy what I do. Being among such athletes is already a joy. Initially, I just wanted to be in the senior competitions. I have achieved this. I wanted to stand on the pedestal ... Of course, (for now) this is not the time that I would like to stand on a pedestal, but anyway ...

-- You, along with Sasha Trusova and Anya Shcherbakova, with whom you stood on the pedestal, look like a company of jolly girls. Does it happen that you spend your free time together?

- For example, recently Sasha was going to go to the movies, and I wanted to go with her. But I needed to buy gifts for the New Year, so it didn’t work out. But sometimes yes, it happens.

-- When this happens, you discuss figure skating or everything except FS?

- We discuss everything at all. One topic flows from another. We can discuss figure skating, and after three minutes some new dance on Art Nouveau.

-- You said that you are involved in equestrian sports. Do you devote a lot of time to it?

- Not yet at this moment, while serious competitions are still going on, God forbid what happens, for it is even dangerous. But in the summer, when there is a lot of free time, yes. When flying to our holiday, we specially chose a hotel where there is a stable. And my aunt has a horse, I can call her at any time, ask if I can come. She'll instruct me where to find the tackle, I will collect the horse - and go!

-- Do you have any particular kind of equestrian sport?

- Dressage and show jumping. I only tried a little jumping, dressage more, because it’s the basics. It's like in figure skating - at first gliding, and then jumping.

-- Do you think about performing at the Olympics in equestrian sports?

- Yes, why not?

(c) Андрей Симоненко
-----