Alena Kostornaia | Page 190 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Vemvane

On the Ice
Maybe Aliona prefers edge jumps to toe jumps, and found the 4S easier? As for working on any edge issues with her lutz, I would imagine that she would want to be as squeaky clean as possible, given that her reputation seems to be founded on great skating skills, and staying clear of edge calls will eke out a few more points, which could make a difference in a competition.

It will be interesting to see whether Aliona has her 4S ready to go at the start of next season, because it is clear that she does need harder jumps to stay ahead in the FP. (I am assuming that Daniil's latest interview is correct, and that she has already been training a 4S to some extent.) It is a real arms race between the 3A right now, and my take-away from Nationals is that to be on top of the podium, they need to be clean and they need to have the jumps and spins. (Which is very much 'water is wet', but one never knows, until the competition is over, which way the winds are blowing.)

Anyway, have some cute Aliona at the medal ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsafL_gH2No

Vemvane

On the Ice
-- You said that you are involved in equestrian sports. Do you devote a lot of time to it?

- Not yet at this moment, while serious competitions are still going on, God forbid what happens, for it is even dangerous. But in the summer, when there is a lot of free time, yes. When flying to our holiday, we specially chose a hotel where there is a stable. And my aunt has a horse, I can call her at any time, ask if I can come. She'll instruct me where to find the tackle, I will collect the horse - and go!

-- Do you have any particular kind of equestrian sport?

- Dressage and show jumping. I only tried a little jumping, dressage more, because it’s the basics. It's like in figure skating - at first gliding, and then jumping.

-- Do you think about performing at the Olympics in equestrian sports?

- Yes, why not?

Um, yes please! Equestrian sports have a far longer window of opportunity for the rider, and it doesn't matter that she's started riding a little later than others - she's got plenty of time to catch up. I know of someone who started riding in her late 50s and went on to win the national endurance championships in her 60s, and I am riding better and more competitively now than I did in my twenties, because my horsemanship has improved. So I would love to see her skate for Russia at the Olympics, and then compete in show jumping or dressage at a later Olympics. (Maybe she can even be a Michael Jung or Ingrid Klimke, and be multi-talented and compete in multiple disciplines at the highest level!)

SkateSkates

Medalist
If you’ve ever watched Aliona on warmup, she always warms up her 3S as her first jump, even before the 2A. So it makes total sense this is the quad she’s training.

Also, it wouldn’t make sense for her to change her toe pick technique on the flip/lutz at this point - the correct toe pick is why she is able to get so much height and distance! Plus, you never know when/if the ISU will start cracking down on PR so she should keep working to improve her toe pick and edges on flip and lutz.

Imagine

Medalist
Um, yes please! Equestrian sports have a far longer window of opportunity for the rider, and it doesn't matter that she's started riding a little later than others - she's got plenty of time to catch up. I know of someone who started riding in her late 50s and went on to win the national endurance championships in her 60s, and I am riding better and more competitively now than I did in my twenties, because my horsemanship has improved. So I would love to see her skate for Russia at the Olympics, and then compete in show jumping or dressage at a later Olympics. (Maybe she can even be a Michael Jung or Ingrid Klimke, and be multi-talented and compete in multiple disciplines at the highest level!)

What's with Russian ladies and their horses? Personally, I find horses to be terrifying, but I can imagine a weird future timeline in which we are watching Alena vs Yulia in the Olympics.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Aliona's exhibition skate from 1tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDAk_QQkmkg

What's with Russian ladies and their horses? Personally, I find horses to be terrifying, but I can imagine a weird future timeline in which we are watching Alena vs Yulia in the Olympics.

I like that future. Very much. :biggrin: There's a definite girls and horses thing, for sure. If you go to a horse show, you'll see that quite often, there are more women and girls than men and boys. It is one of the few sports where women can compete on the same playing field as men, because horse riding is really less about strength and brute force, and more about skill and partnership with the horse. Putting it that way, I'm also going "Ohhh, maybe that's what draws skaters like Yulia and Aliona to it", and not that well-known vector of hippomania, equine hair!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I'm also going "Ohhh, maybe that's what draws skaters like Yulia and Aliona to it", and not that well-known vector of hippomania, equine hair!

LOL, equine hair, isn't that the specific department of Anna and Aleksandra with their waist length ponytails?

SkateSkates

Medalist
She smiles a lot, talks a lot about others, it’s not customary with us.

And her outgoing personality is one reason why so many fans love her! (of course in addition to her wonderful skating)

So I don’t understand all this backlash about her personality lately. She’s always been funny/fiery even if she looks like an angel on the ice

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
And her outgoing personality is one reason why so many fans love her! (of course in addition to her wonderful skating)

So I don’t understand all this backlash about her personality lately. She’s always been funny/fiery even if she looks like an angel on the ice

I do not understand too. She is better than Alina. Everyone sees it. Therefore. I love Alina but ..

LuffyJackson

Rinkside
I'm so frustrated guys, about the narrative her being sore loser because she wasn't satisfied with her last skate in Nationals.
We as fans knew that her perfectionist-self isn't news, from when she had the mini breakdown in JGP Ostrava and in NHK & IDF, she always emphasize how she wanted a clean skate regardless of a win or not.

I guess that she's no longer the underdog, now a very serious contender top lady, people scrutinize everything.

(i admit it's partly my fault for engaging with hate in youtube, I can't help it, she really didn't deserve it :noshake:)

SkateSkates

Medalist
I'm so frustrated guys, about the narrative her being sore loser because she wasn't satisfied with her last skate in Nationals.
We as fans knew that her perfectionist-self isn't news, from when she had the mini breakdown in JGP Ostrava and in NHK & IDF, she always emphasize how she wanted a clean skate regardless of a win or not.

I guess that she's no longer the underdog, now a very serious contender top lady, people scrutinize everything.

(i admit it's partly my fault for engaging with hate in youtube, I can't help it, she really didn't deserve it :noshake:)

I know! It’s very frustrating and so hard to restrain myself and not feed the trolls.

But if any of these detractors took time to read her interview from today, they could see she’s upset not because she didn’t win, but because she didn’t skate her best. And she said the feelings would have been different had she skated her best and ended up with silver or bronze.

I hope she’s able to rest up a bit before her performance at Bolzano Passion Gala in Italy. I noticed her back was taped - don’t want to start any rumors here like last time - so I hope everything is okay with that. She deserves some rest after basically competing every 2/3 weeks since Finlandia!

LuffyJackson

Rinkside
And she said the feelings would have been different had she skated her best and ended up with silver or bronze.

Exactly! For example it happened in previous Nationals 2019, she looked so happy & relieved she had a clean FS, she was smiling the whole time too knowing she'd be getting a bronze for her mistake in her short.

I almost forgot the show in Italy :dumb: anyone knows if it will be broadcasted somewhere or will it be private just like in japan?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Who says she’s a sore loser and that she was upset? :-/
Some people really need to mind their own business, what the hell?
Aliona was not upset with placements, imo, she looked a little upset with her landings from some of the jumps. I understand her, she did 2 best 3A in her life, and then she did some poor landings, it’s gotta be frustrating! She was about to put a performance of her life, and then came a few upsetting mistakes, which probably upset her, as she wasn’t happy right when she finished, not after the marks.

But she’s also a very emotional girl, she often cries when things don’t work out. I mean...there are people, who just cry easily, my wife cries when she sees some emotional commercials, and mind you she’s way older than Aliona, who’s just a teen. :D
I just think some people can’t hold their tears in, and she’s just a kid, people gotta let her be...

LuffyJackson

Rinkside
Aliona was not upset with placements, imo, she looked a little upset with her landings from some of the jumps. I understand her, she did 2 best 3A in her life, and then she did some poor landings, it’s gotta be frustrating! She was about to put a performance of her life, and then came a few upsetting mistakes, which probably upset her, as she wasn’t happy right when she finished, not after the marks.

But she’s also a very emotional girl, she often cries when things don’t work out. I mean...there are people, who just cry easily, my wife cries when she sees some emotional commercials, and mind you she’s way older than Aliona, who’s just a teen. :D
I just think some people can’t hold their tears in, and she’s just a kid, people gotta let her be...

It's on youtube where the translated rusnats press is uploaded, nevermind them I can calm myself now :laugh:
Ikr? by the way this narrative played it sounds like she was whining kicking around on the podium or something, when actually she just casually answered a question, I had a feeling if Aliona wasn't a teenage girl no one would bat an eyelash about her being emotional and a perfectionist :coffee:

Anyway, Happy New Year to you all ! It's been a great year for Aliona and her fans :luv17:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alyona's offical FFKKR interview by Olga Yermolina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUEUZAJ4tU

Alena Kostornaya shared her impressions of the past Russian championship, where she became the Silver medalist.

- I'm glad that I was able to qualify for the European Championship. My skating run was not perfect of course, in general, I'll work on my elements.

Overall, in the first half of the season I was glad there were more Gold medals than Silver ones. Of course this is very nice. I will also participate in a show in Italy, after which I will prepare for the European Championship, I guess.

-- This is your third Russian championship. Can you compare where it was most difficult to perform?

- The hardest thing was to perform here. It is not connected with any responsibility, or something was crushing me, neither.

It’s just, firstly, that it’s even later by a week, with each year it's moved a week later, it’s very difficult. Plus, holidays are close, everyone is already so half-relaxed, and you work, work.

And plus, probably, this long flight, longer than at all the other Russian championships. Fatigue builds up. Probably, it was harder here, but the audience supported me. I hope I have not disappointed anyone.

-- What would you wish yourself for the New Year?

- Less upset and more work.

macy

Record Breaker

i also don't understand why anyone would question her character when she was upset with how she skated. she knew her mistakes cost her the title, heaven forbid one be upset about that! it's really pathetic these girls aren't allowed to feel or show emotion without being questioned about their motives. she's 16, come on. they are human.