Alena Kostornaia

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I have confidence in Aliona, that she’ll get her 3A back. She's just that kind of person who's incredibly hardworking and demanding to herself. Even if she doesn't get it immediately, it will happen sooner or later in my opinion.
Her 2A still looked as flawless and big as ever, so I have no doubt 3A is coming back.
i think Aliona has the same chances as anyone else for making the team next year. i really think it will be her, Sasha, Anna and Kamila battling it out for 3 spots. if Daria gets a quad or 3A by then, she will be right there with them. they will all have to be perfect and it will be heartbreaking no matter who is left off.

Fully agree. I already feel sad, because all of them are incredibly talented, gifted, yet so different from one another. Each girl has different strengths and weaknesses, that's why it's so interesting to see them compete with each other.
They all deserve to go to Olympics. It's so sad and unfair that only 3 will be able to. The olympic season will be heartbreaking, I don't want to see any of these wonderful girls upset, because they missed their shot at Olys. Because it's not their fault, it's the system's fault.

Philippa8187

Rinkside
Yes indeed, although refracted through the lense of my own recollection, it was your very own posting that I paraphrased. A bit of laziness not to track down the original is my shortcoming, and I beg pardon for misapplication of quotation marks used only to highlight the fact that the original thought was not my own.

While patiently waiting for the next performance, it is all fans' treat here to share, compare and "Let (us) count the ways."

To wit:

Reviewing her solitary public appearance this year, I found myself replaying time and again from the first camera cut, where a few simple strokes, a pair of turns and a couple of crossovers are enough to steal your breath.

And when a gesture comes from the wrist, an almost visible line of energy runs continuously throughout, from the blade to the fingernail polish.

Early reviews were quite mixed, but, when polished, I think "Crown" will prove to be iconic. Notable already, one infamously critical skating "pundit" has confessed that a very dimissive first impression was almost immediately swept away upon subsequent review, and now "👑" is called "next level", "perfect", "so right".

And the flamethrowers are out for sure, regarding the transfer, and the interview, and the "crowded ice" issue. But I say that "diva" is coarsely abused as a slur by the Philistines toward the many, many pretenders, whereas Alyonushka has been quite candid about these issues. "I am a difficult person"; "I am emotional."
(And I've already mentioned on this board my interpretation of the choreography bringing the finger guns to the judges.)

Hey, if the crown fits.... Though I wonder, how does she get it over those horns?
🦊💅💄👑😈

We have Alina for the icon, we have Zhenya for the martyr, we have Sasha for bravery and Anya for piety, but for me, personally, I have only one simple desire..."Let me see more of that 🔥!"

Surely I am not the only one who sees these things, am
I do not share the anxiety and uncertainty expressed here regarding Alenka's prospects in this upcoming competitive season. I do not disregard these concerns, but rather I have great confidence in the highest expectations. Whether she will summit the podium, or even attain its foothills, matters not to me. Because, unless fate or the "situation" triggers a quake that brings down the entire season, she will skate, and I will watch, and I will once again be overcome by her qualities.

When viewing the ridings, I am inevitably distracted by the outstanding skills and exceptional qualities of many of the elite competitors. Often I suffer a bit of anxiety then, wondering, "Have I mistaken my apprehension of my favorite?". But as soon as she sets blade upon the ice, I am reassured, I am proven out, "No mistake, there is genius here. This is special, very special."

Although "3A" is a phenomenon of the past, as circumstances have changed and now more than three young ladies warrant equal status to that of which only three were deserving just last season, I recall a remark from this thread many months ago regarding the exceptional qualities of the troika.

"Anya I would have as my daughter; Alexandra I would have as my lieutenant; Alyonushka I would have as my muse."

When I have struggled to share my own enthusiasm, I have borrowed this matrix to express my appreciation:

One is powerful and fearless, her blades carve her name into the ice as she launches like a rocket.

One is delicate and angelic, and seems to move across the ice without leaving a scratch upon it.

And to the last, the ice whispers, "No, please. Allow me to carry you."

The ice loves her blade. It always has, and I trust it always will.
Hi, this is my post first so I’ll try to keep it short. I think Aliona’s return will be gradual and that’s understandable given how disruptive this season has been, and considering injuries. However she skates at the fourth stage of the Russia Cup, I will always be a fan of Aliona’s skating, and I hope she feels that she is heading in a positive direction. PS I enjoyed your post.

Magill

On the Ice
Hi, this is my post first so I’ll try to keep it short. I think Aliona’s return will be gradual and that’s understandable given how disruptive this season has been, and considering injuries. However she skates at the fourth stage of the Russia Cup, I will always be a fan of Aliona’s skating, and I hope she feels that she is heading in a positive direction. PS I enjoyed your post.
Welcome on the board, Philippa8187! Have a good time here, post often (and don't get too much put off by sudden twists and turns some other threads sometimes take :biggrin:) Great first post, by the way! We all keep fingers crossed for Alyona's successful comeback! Good to have you on this ship, too!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Aliona'a 2As in her juniors.
Interestingly, despite the quality and complexity she put out, she never really got straight +3s in the old system, and +5 in the new one internationally in those 2 years. Only at her 2nd russian nationals (2018-19 season) did she get +5 across the board, so only domestically.
I guess in the grand scheme of things her scores were always good, but looking in detail, knowing she puts out incredible entries and exits into her 2A every single time, it becomes noticeable that something isn't right about the scoring.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Aliona'a 2As in her juniors.
Interestingly, despite the quality and complexity she put out, she never really got straight +3s in the old system, and +5 in the new one internationally in those 2 years. Only at her 2nd russian nationals (2018-19 season) did she get +5 across the board, so only domestically.
I guess in the grand scheme of things her scores were always good, but looking in detail, knowing she puts out incredible entries and exits into her 2A every single time, it becomes noticeable that something isn't right about the scoring.
She probably got dinged on the air position. Her 2A has a lot of great qualities, but she is pretty loose in the air and has a leg wrap.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Congratulations to Aliona! One of the TT fans asked her:

“But what about the non grata list? So many small children are riding, horror, " - wrote a subscriber. :palmf:
"
“This is the ice of the younger group. At my training session, I train, not take pictures, ”Kostornaya answered. :rock:

macy

you should see her in a crown
Record Breaker
She probably got dinged on the air position. Her 2A has a lot of great qualities, but she is pretty loose in the air and has a leg wrap.
well for someone who does all triples and ultra si, she is going to have a looser air position in an easier jump. it's like questioning why someone doesn't have tight air position on a double flip vs a triple or quad flip. you don't need the tight rotation and air position to get it around.

anyway, i think she should have been rewarded higher GOEs her 2nd junior season on her 2A. to me she has a bigger and floatier jump than her first junior season, even as good as it was then.

McBibus

On the Ice
Congratulations to Aliona! One of the TT fans asked her:

“But what about the non grata list? So many small children are riding, horror, " - wrote a subscriber. :palmf:
"
“This is the ice of the younger group. At my training session, I train, not take pictures, ”Kostornaya answered. :rock:
She just gave the word "Blasted" a new meaning :love2::cool:💪
Don't mess with Aliona: she looks like an Angel, but she's much more

Batsuchan

Medalist
It's always a great day when we get new Aliona content! :yahoo:

But while I really liked the fragments of Aliona's FS that we saw earlier, I'm not so I sure about this new clip... I guess it looks especially empty because she omitted the jumps, but there seems to be a lot of crossovers and two-foot skating, and I'm not sure what all the dramatic arm gestures are supposed to mean. :scratch2:

As we saw from the clips earlier this week, it's clear that Aliona is great at accelerating and maintaining speed even on one foot:
http://instagr.am/p/CGkbyRkoCj3/ :love:
So I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't more difficult steps and turns in this sequence. (I also feel the same way about some of her SP.) I know that some people complain that Daniil G's choreography is too busy, but I feel like Aliona can take a transition-packed program and make it look seamless and easy.

That being said, I was definitely not impressed when she debuted her Twilight FS at the test skates last season, and then I ended up loving it, so I will reserve judgement until we get to see the full program. :) I will say that I absolutely love Abel Korzeniowski's music, so I am very pleased with the music choice! (y) I only wish that someone would use music from "Penny Dreadful," one of my all-time favorite TV shows.

As for the new Karisma pics that Aliona posted... Major :clap: to Aliona for her comment to the TT fan.
I had to laugh though... To me it seems like you can find 100s of candid photos where Aliona looks amazing, but the photos she chooses to post on her IG always seem to be too far away or too close, or backlit, or blurry. Why, Aliona, why? :shrug: :rofl:

Finally - did anyone else notice that Aliona's height on her ISU bio was also updated?
Apparently she's now 155cm tall.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
So I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't more difficult steps and turns in this sequence.
I don't think the clip from her LP is of her step sequence, though. I can see space for a jumping pass and the bit with the spiral might be the Choreo sequence. Guessing it starts from a 'breathing point' in the middle of the programme since she begins from a standstill.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I don't think the clip from her LP is of her step sequence, though. I can see space for a jumping pass and the bit with the spiral might be the Choreo sequence. Guessing it starts from a 'breathing point' in the middle of the programme since she begins from a standstill.
Yes, it's definitely not the step sequence. I think her actual step sequence is set to "The Cheek of Night":
http://instagr.am/p/CGJx9W-o8Gz/
But I still think they could have done more with the "Dance for me Wallis" sequence in terms of choreography...but we'll see what it looks like when it actually has the jumps. :)