Alena Kostornaia | Page 325 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Scott512

Record Breaker
That clean -eu-3S said everything to me, just as much as the 3A. She was underrotating it all the time last season! But she went there with this one. There's definitely so much work to do, but I remember her first performance of Lovely was lackluster and then a few weeks later just AMAZING.

I really thought the stamina issue would be gone, is it nerves? It's just surprising because she spent the whole time at Novogorsk and did the intense Eteri training.

That music. She said she listened to so many Blues songs and arrived at this one. I don't know what I can say, it's HER choice. But I hope it isn't her undoing. I'm still in the Vivaldi short and Lovely free gang. I am kind of surprised Eteri allowed it because she had all ability to exercise her power considering Aliona game back.
Remember AK wanted a big say in her music before and now she has it. But this girl is so fabulous at skating she will make both programs work.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Remember AK wanted a big say in her music before and now she has it. But this girl is so fabulous at skating she will make both programs work.
Agree.. as a package set, both pieces work and she is comitted to them..
just adding Patrick Chan’s Winter as a reference.. he is a divine skater!!

As for Beth Hart, there are just as many lovers as haters and I am in the first camp a stretch for her that I believe she is equal to and beyond..

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Agree.. as a package set, both pieces work and she is comitted to them..
just adding Patrick Chan’s Winter as a reference.. he is a divine skater!!

As for Beth Hart, there are just as many lovers as haters and I am in the first camp a stretch for her that I believe she is equal to and beyond..
Agreed

We also need to give Aliona time to put her fingerprints on these programs.

For now all the girls are behind Sasha. But there is plenty of time to get in the mix. If Aliona loves these programs then she will make them work and make us happy.

As for her short program I would have loved AK to do something like take 5 or summer time. Both those programs would superbly show off her brilliant skating skills.

The 3rd is Olympic spot is wide open.
between Anna Liza Aliona and perhaps Maia.

macy

Record Breaker
Agreed

We also need to give Aliona time to put her fingerprints on these programs.

For now all the girls are behind Sasha. But there is plenty of time to get in the mix. If Aliona loves these programs then she will make them work and make us happy.

As for her short program I would have loved AK to do something like take 5 or summer time. Both those programs would superbly show off her brilliant skating skills.

The 3rd is Olympic spot is wide open.
between Anna Liza Aliona and perhaps Maia.
she would do amazing with summertime. i think i posted this in RLT but shine on you crazy diamond would be perfect for her.

Scott512

Record Breaker
she would do amazing with summertime. i think i posted this in RLT but shine on you crazy diamond would be perfect for her.
That would be perfect for her. But it's not to be and I hope AK can make a masterpiece of each of the programs.

It's good that she has her triple axel back. How many will she have to do in her frees skate to score 240 plus points?

I am thinking she will have to hit 2 at least. I expect sasha and KV to be scoring 240 to 260 points during the season if they season if they skate fairly clean.

Last edited:

Artemisa

Final Flight
That would be perfect for her. But it's not to be and I hope AK can make a masterpiece of each of the programs.

It's good that she has her triple axel back. How many will she have to do in her freescape to score 240 plus points?
I am thinking she will have to hit 2 at least. I expect sasha and KV to be scoring 240 to 260 points during the season if they season if they skate fairly clean.
I think for her have a shot .. ... she needs to nail 3A in the SP and 2 in LP and have a perfect 4. Because the true weapon of Kostornaia is perfection to the limit. Sasha have a lot of quads but for her have a shot to win she needs a least no nail 3-4 quads to win ... her PCs are base if she jumps the 4 .. and how many men's we know that land everyone of them everytime?

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think for her have a shot .. ... she needs to nail 3A in the SP and 2 in LP and have a perfect 4. Because the true weapon of Kostornaia is perfection to the limit. Sasha have a lot of quads but for her have a shot to win she needs a least no nail 3-4 quads to win ... her PCs are base if she jumps the 4 .. and how many men's we know that land everyone of them everytime?
It's very good point and Aliona's perfection as a skater can put her in the scoring range of sasha and KV and Anna.

Like you I think she will try two 3As in her free skate.

Yes it's going to be very hard for sasha to land 5 quads in her free skate and for KV to land 3 quads and a 3A in her free. If we go off last season both girls are spectacular and sensational but mistake prone. If AK gets her full confidence back she is not mistake prone.

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Recently I saw an older picture of Aliona with Boyang Jin and can't find it anymore. Does anybody know of such a picture? It must have been taken at a competition which both of the skaters attended.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Gleikhengauz talks about new Free Programs at Khrustalny (English subs)
"I don't see any reason why she shouldn't be able to jump quads. Body-wise she can, head-wise no."

he didn’t say anything remotely bad about her, don’t get worked up people.
There are translation inaccuracies in the Video, which probably cause the confusion.
For example, regarding Shae’s program, it is translated as “if the skater doesn’t work on it”, where in fact he said something more like “if the program isn’t polished”, not implying anything about a skater.
He does use the word character, but he clearly explains that he means that Aliona has enough physicality to do more, it’s just in her head she’s not ready, that “she can’t let it go”.

Last edited:

patee

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
I totally agree! I got into some debate (below the video) with people who didn't get what Daniil meant to say. Yes, he was direct, but very honest and he was right about everything that he said. I think he just wants to bring out the best in her to reach her full potential. The quote (from him) I put here makes it clear that Aliona is capable of doing quads pshysically, which is very good news I think, it's "only" her head that stops her from doing them. Of course it's all in the head, but let's hope she'll be able to sort everything out in her head. To be honest, I don't mind if she's not doing quads (and it's very unlikely that she'll learn any quads after the Olympic season has just started), I just hope she'll be confident and consistent with her 3A and overall of course. And healthy. That is the MOST important.

Azikin

Medalist
I don't mind if she's not doing quads (and it's very unlikely that she'll learn any quads after the Olympic season has just started), I just hope she'll be confident and consistent with her 3A and overall of course. And healthy. That is the MOST important.
Absolutely. I must say it again: she still holds the world record. Without any quads. 3A is the key, if it's stable, she has more chances to succeed at the Olympics than any quadster because of the extreme pressure at that event, so I hope that nomination for Olympics would reflect that.. ;)

Scott512

Record Breaker
he didn’t say anything remotely bad about her, don’t get worked up people.
There are translation inaccuracies in the Video, which probably cause the confusion.
For example, regarding Shae’s program, it is translated as “if the skater doesn’t work on it”, where in fact he said something more like “if the program isn’t polished”, not implying anything about a skater.
He does use the word character, but he clearly explains that he means that Aliona has enough physicality to do more, it’s just in her head she’s not ready, that “she can’t let it go”.
Head wise nyet is not remotely bad? Okay. Saying something like that publicly is not exactly going to build a Aliona's fragile confidence.

It's time for the great coach to prove she is the great coach and if she can get AK back to 90% of where she was two years ago she can not only make the Olympic team she can win it all.
Let's be honest every lady doing all these quadruple jumps is taking a physical and mental toll on all these skaters. Aliona doesnt need quads to win.

Anna has lost her quads Sasha is hit-or-miss and to a lesser extent KV is hit or miss. Aliona in good form is hit and never miss. The fed knows that they also know the judges love Alionas skating. It's time for her to get it together and seize the opportunity before her.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Absolutely. I must say it again: she still holds the world record. Without any quads. 3A is the key, if it's stable, she has more chances to succeed at the Olympics than any quadster because of the extreme pressure at that event, so I hope that nomination for Olympics would reflect that.. ;)
If AK can skate at 90% of where she was two seasons ago she will make the Olympic team because the Federation cannot trust the other three top contenders to keep their quads and to be clean. Anna was brilliant when she was not feeling well at Russian Nationals last December but she's not the same skater now and she does not have her quads.

The opportunity there for aliona is golden. She is much less likely to bomb than the other top Russian ladies and I'm sure the Russian Federation knows this. The question now is can Eteri get her back close to 2019 / 2020 form? If she does a spot on the Olympic team is Alionas because the fed can trust her more than the others.

Last edited: