Alena Kostornaia | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Orlov

Medalist
Why the negativity? I personally would love to see Alena with programs from a different choreographer. I'm not saying her programs have been bad (thought I do admit I'm not a fan of her current FS), it's just fun to see skaters experiment a bit with choreo and try and see who they work with the best. I don't see what's so wrong with that.

Cuz between your words, and phrases like

but with a real masterful choreographer it could simply be magic.
or
I think a coaching change may benefit her. She has a softness to her skating that would be better developed elsewhere.

- a huge difference. You just offer to make a mental journey, but they aggressively impose their opinions and visions.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Ya not as effortless. I think a coaching change may benefit her. She has a softness to her skating that would be better developed elsewhere.

Her softness and current skill was developed by Eteri. If you watch her compete before going to Eteri, she was a whole different skater. Unlike Tarakanova and Trusova, she was very unrefined and her jumps weren't stable prior to going to their group. Of all Eteri's skaters, Alena and Alina have benefitted the most.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I'm just worry that during summer practice Alena was talking enthusiastically about 3A, 3L3Lo and even 4T in her ask, but now - no 3A, no loop combo (even at practice) and she looks less and less enthusiastic with each day. And her jumps became heavier and less stable.

So, it‘s obviously good that you‘re worried about Alena but to state it nicely, I think you‘re exaggerating. Alena does NOT seem less enthusiastic. Where did you get that from? Especially to say: “with each day“. So you’re watching their training or how do you get to claim something like this? She was nervous before the skate and she didn‘t skate the FS her best yet. But it‘s the first competition of the new season, she easily won a gold and created a magical moment in her SP without any shaky landings whatsoever. Her FS isn‘t perfect yet and people are starting to get worried. Really? Not even Medvedeva who is known as the powerhouse in consistency has ever had perfect performances on the get go. Neither had Alina Zagitova. She fell quite a lot during her first competitions last season. And guess what? She‘s the Olympic Champion now. And we‘re not even talking about a fall here. We‘re talking about a well covered stepout/shaky landing and not as passionate interpretation of the music. Give her some time, she‘s only human.

About the ultra-c elements she wanted to add: Well, again, it‘s the start of the season. She has said she wants to get stability on the 3A and maybe include it at the JGPF. We don‘t even know whether she‘s training 4T or not but really... quads are difficult, you can‘t just add them with a snap of your finger and wow, magically they‘re there. Not everyone‘s a Sasha. Also, Alena is older, she seems physically more mature than last year so she‘s probably focusing on getting stability on the jump arsenal she has already than trying to squeeze new elements in and injuring herself.

But what bothered me the most was the comment about her enthusiasm. Have you seen the medal ceremony? Because, well, I have with my own eyes and Alena was grinning and smiling up there as if she had just won the biggest prize of the season.

Does this look like a lack of happiness and enthusiasm to you?

https://pp.userapi.com/c847020/v847020645/e07f9/Sm1ipcDDBrA.jpg

Or this?

https://pp.userapi.com/c850336/v850336909/1aa42/GYwUOQ0Llzo.jpg

I know how it‘s like to be a fan of a certain skater and tend to worry a lot about them but we really shouldn‘t panic. Alena is fine.

wow. just wow. Did you see this Fluture? Oссam cries in the corner and screaming "why"

and, god damm, how to cancel "like" which I accidentally clicked to him?

Yes, I saw this. And I‘m like ... :palmf: and then ... :slink:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Tom Dickson's Fan Fest is on another floor. Thanks :)
hmm. Calm down. I just think Alena could look good with his choreo because the skaters he likes to choreograph for are similar to Alena(Great skating skills, elegant arms, etc etc).

MarinHondas

Final Flight
BTW I have re-watched both of Alena's new programs countless times already. I like them both a lot. No need to get defensive over Daniil...

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Why the negativity? I personally would love to see Alena with programs from a different choreographer. I'm not saying her programs have been bad (thought I do admit I'm not a fan of her current FS), it's just fun to see skaters experiment a bit with choreo and try and see who they work with the best. I don't see what's so wrong with that.

THANK YOU!! That's all I am saying.

Amef

Final Flight
Why are people saying Alena's jump got worse? The 2A was splendid. And her jumps are still high and cover much distance.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Why are people saying Alena's jump got worse? The 2A was splendid. And her jumps are still high and cover much distance.
Why don't you get it! She put her foot down to fast after landing the second 3-3! so it's mean that they become worse! :laugh::rofl:

Amef

Final Flight
Why don't you get it! She put her foot down to fast after landing the second 3-3! so it's mean that they become worse! [emoji23]:rofl:
Lol.. I legit think that some people are trying to look down on Alena... Maybe they see her as a threat to their fave... And rightly so.

typeyournamehere

Match Penalty

in fact that was probably the most gorgeous double axel i've ever seen, considering the entry, distance, height, exit, everything...

Wheelz

On the Ice
Regarding tbe choreography discussion, any thoughts on the wisdom of having one relatively young guy, Daniil, as the primary choreographer for a diverse team of skaters? I think it would be better to have multiple options as opposed to just one.

Amef

Final Flight
Regarding tbe choreography discussion, any thoughts on the wisdom of having one relatively young guy, Daniil, as the primary choreographer for a diverse team of skaters? I think it would be better to have multiple options as opposed to just one.

Exactly. I'm sure they can afford one? Anyhow, I think Alena would suit choreography from some NA choreographers like Jeff Butt and Shae Lynn. Or Marina Zueva, or David Wilson. Wonder what Eteri will think of this?

atsumiri

Record Breaker
They made a terrible choreography for Lipnitskaya, Voronov and Pitkeev. I hope Eteri is smart enough to stay away from any of them.

Orlov

Medalist
Exactly. I'm sure they can afford one? Anyhow, I think Alena would suit choreography from some NA choreographers like Jeff Butt and Shae Lynn. Or Marina Zueva, or David Wilson. Wonder what Eteri will think of this?

On the one hand diversity is good, but on the other hand Daniil knows the girls, works with them every day. He can make a programm really suit them. And strangers will work without a soul, just like professionals.

zounger

Medalist

I think we need some accurate financial figures to comment on this one. What is the cost of bringing Shae Lynn in Moscow for a week to choreograph two programs for Alena? I'm pretty much sure that she cannot afford it. Will Rus fed willing to pay that money, I don't think so. They have good results with Daniel anyway, why to bother?

Watch

Final Flight
On the one hand diversity is good, but on the other hand Daniil knows the girls, works with them every day. He can make a programm really suit them. And strangers will work without a soul, just like professionals.

That's really not true. Choreographers don't work "without a soul" only because they're not choreographing for one group exclusively. I have huge respect for the success Daniil has achieved with his programs so early in his career - choreographing great programs that won Olympic gold and silver this year, but please don't diminish the work other choreographers do and pour their souls into.

Orlov

Medalist
That's really not true. Choreographers don't work "without a soul" only because they're not choreographing for one group exclusively. I have huge respect for the success Daniil has achieved with his programs so early in his career - choreographing great programs that won Olympic gold and silver this year, but please don't diminish the work other choreographers do and pour their souls into.

Perhaps, I said it too harshly. It's a little difficult for me to express my thoughts in another language.

I wanted to say that, of course, stranger choreographer will also put his soul into the program, but it will be his ambitions, his love of art (that, of course, also wonderful motivation and emotions) but, in my opinion, there will be no "personal touch", "family's involvement". And I belive that is powerful resource.

And I think when such a rare event happens - in one choreographer there is a combination of "family spirit" and real professionalism, as it is in Daniil, it should be appreciated and cherished. That's why I overreact to the advice "change the choreographer"

dna5019

Final Flight
In an attempt to bring in some positivity, I personally really like Alena's programs. I think her SP is spellbinding, and even though she didn't skate her FS perfectly, I actually found myself tearing up during parts of the performance. I don't know, maybe I just have horrible taste or maybe it's because I'm going crazy from having moved abroad a few days ago ( :dbana: ), but there is something about her skating that really moves me. She's made a solid fan out of me and I'll continue to follow her performances--she's something special.