Alexander Petrov | Page 178 | Golden Skate

Alexander Petrov

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Mishin group should take a new choreograph, it is such a pity that their programs look tad outdated. But happy with his score and place.

adelia

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faCnhewYxm8v SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIxDfJm70oQ FS
The highest quad I've ever seen him jump. Second triple axel was very good as well. I gotta say though, the programmes are kinda bland.
Would be interesting if someone could do a side by side comparison between this FS quad and any one of the rest he's jumped so far. Because from a technique standpoint, it looked different but I can't quite pin-point the difference other than that he didn't hesitate just before entering the jump.

LRK

Record Breaker
Would be interesting if someone could do a side by side comparison between this FS quad and any one of the rest he's jumped so far. Because from a technique standpoint, it looked different but I can't quite pin-point the difference other than that he didn't hesitate just before entering the jump.

My technical knowledge is pretty much non-existent - but my impression with quads is that not hesitating is absolutely crucial. With quads, to quote Master Yoda: "Do, or do not - there is no try." Hesitate, and you're lost.

Now, confidence isn't all, of course - a quad can still fail; but as far as I've seen, a tentative quad tends to be a bad quad.

adelia

Record Breaker
He finished second at Panin Memorial. They added a second quad to the FS layout but he fell on both quads. First one was UR. TES 69+.

adelia

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what his physical condition is like. But if he's healthy, I don't see why there's such a huge fluctuation in his performance from one competition to the next unless it's a mental thing. If it is a mental issue, he could use a sports psychologist. But Mishin doesn't believe in those.

LRK

Record Breaker
Maybe he's still being haunted by his bad previous season - he's so used to being consistent after all, I'm sure that must have played havoc with his confidence.

I know Liza went to a sport psychologist - if she found it helpful, maybe she could suggest that to him, in spite of Mishin.

Anyway, how do you rate his chances of making Nationals? This isn't one of the qualifying competitions, though, I believe?

adelia

Record Breaker
Maybe he's still being haunted by his bad previous season - he's so used to being consistent after all, I'm sure that must have played havoc with his confidence.

I know Liza went to a sport psychologist - if she found it helpful, maybe she could suggest that to him, in spite of Mishin.

Anyway, how do you rate his chances of making Nationals? This isn't one of the qualifying competitions, though, I believe?
No, it's not a qualifier for Nationals. In any case he finished second, which is a good placement. But everyone kind of skated poorly in the mens competition.

He'll make Nationals, for sure. There's isn't much depth in Russian mens skating. But if he wants to make the national team (just the reserves) next season, he has to place within the top 5 at Nationals to stand a chance.

LRK

Record Breaker
No, it's not a qualifier for Nationals. In any case he finished second, which is a good placement. But everyone kind of skated poorly in the mens competition.

He'll make Nationals, for sure. There's isn't much depth in Russian mens skating. But if he wants to make the national team (just the reserves) next season, he has to place within the top 5 at Nationals to stand a chance.

Yes, let's hope that by then either his inconsistency issues have been sorted - or, that he has one of his good skates/competitions at Nationals. Anyway, things are clearly better than last year, so there is that comfort to cling to, at any rate.

adelia

Record Breaker
Yes, let's hope that by then either his inconsistency issues have been sorted - or, that he has one of his good skates/competitions at Nationals. Anyway, things are clearly better than last year, so there is that comfort to cling to, at any rate.

He clearly has it within him, the CoR competition proves that.

Flyflybutterfly

Rinkside
Hello,

Finally we can see him at Nationals. I wish him best of luck, the only thing I want is he can skate safe and clean, and be able to see him more often.

Go Sasha, go! Be strong, man!

adelia

Record Breaker
61.64 (26.99 + 36.65)
Fall on the quad, botched landing on the axel, fall on the 3Lz (no combo).

Russian men were pretty much a horror except for the top three.

Edit:
https://vk.com/video-86763332_456247287
(might not work for everyone)

Quad was fully rotated. Lutz and spins were just poor, a perennial issue all season. He doesn't seem to be in that poor physical shape so he probably was too nervous, which is something he needs to overcome in the freeskate.

Flyflybutterfly

Rinkside
Thanks for the video link Adelia,

He skated strong but I think you are right when you say he was probably nervous, It's not the first time he is the first skater to perform at Nats. He has been out of big tournaments for long. Good good luck to him tomorrow. Fight for those jumps Alexander!

Flyflybutterfly

Rinkside
Hello!

Today is Alexander's birthday :cheer:; 20 beautiful age! I wish him the best in everything but specially health, faith in himself :cheer2:, succes for next season, happyness and prosperity, Happy, happy birthday to him! :clap::hap10:

Miss him a lot everywhere!