American Idol - Top 24 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

American Idol - Top 24

Petlover

On the Ice
The really odd thing about the MSN.com poll is that Jordan Sparks' name did not show up in the results at all!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
At MSN.com, you can vote for the winner down to 9th place. I was surprised by the 9th place winner percentage wise. Sanjaya over Haley and Chris, what a hoot!!!

Actually, I would personally have Chris and Haley booted before Sanjaya. Sanjaya is actually entertaining in an offbeat way. Haley's voice is too saccharine and insipid for me, and Chris has DESTROYED -- I mean smashed up and ran over on the interstate with a truck -- WAY too many perfectly good songs the last few weeks and NO ONE is cute enough to get away with that in my book. Just MHO.

Personally, I'm really expecting a Jordin/Blake final.

Last edited:
That is odd that Jordan's name is not anywhere on the MSN thing.

I am thinking I'm going to be bored out of my skull with Tony Bennett night....too bad I'm not a drinker.:p

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think they could streamline this show considerably if they just skipped the whole vote counting thing on certain episodes and just did the old vaudeville trick of having someone offstage with a cane loop the cane around their neck and just YANK EM OFF never to be seen again. Every season there seems to be at least 1 or 2 people that this should happen to. Then they could just skip the results show for that week......:laugh: :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they normally find another way to do it... season 2 they find police reports, etc... lol

then again maybe in his case he dumped Paula and that was the real reason he was kicked off the show ;)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well, not the most exciting AI night ever, but for those who like this type of music, I suppose it was a pretty good show. Should be interesting to see who goes home tonight.

My top 3:

MELINDA -- Like with really good skating, the better it is, the harder it is to say much about it because it speaks for itself. Excellent, of course, tho I agree with Simon that I could have done without the first half, but the second "let it rip" half was fantastic. I wish she would choose more songs that allow her to make use of that awesome lower register of hers.

CHRIS -- Yes, believe it or not, after my last several posts here saying that he's totally gotta go -- IMHO he gave the performance of the night!! This is the performance that I expected from Blake. Guess I'll have to pick on someone else for a while... :laugh:

LAKISHA -- Getting past the fact that she was, in the words of the Commodores, "mighty mighty just lettin' it all hang out" [:eek: :eek: ], this was one of the best song/singer matchups of the season. EXCELLENT!! Right up until the very end, when she almost SCREWED UP THE ENTIRE THING by adding that "Ain't no sunshine when he's gone" that Tony Bennett advised her to take out. Mr. Bennett was totally correct; had she just ended with a sustained high note, this would have been one of AI's all-time classics. Like him or not, Mr. Bennett has not had the career he's had by NOT knowing what he's talking about, and it would have served her well had she listened to him. Nonetheless, the rest of it was outstanding.

Middle 3:

BLAKE -- It was OK, but needed more edge. The fact that I think it's one of the stupidest songs ever recorded didn't exactly help it along with me either.

JORDIN -- Well done, though I don't like that song either. What got me was the criticism she got for not making it "hip". You know, some of these songs are near impossible to "hip up" without funking them up nearly beyond recognition, and when that was attempted a few times earlier this season with older songs, the judges nailed them for screwing with the song too much. Ain't no pleasing some people that's for sure....

HALEY -- Does anyone remember the Sweeney Sisters, the Saturday Night Live characters played by Jan Hooks and Nora Dunn; they were these airport lounge singers who sang these hideous medleys? I think Haley is the long-lost third Sweeney Sister. She radiates "LOUNGE" enough as it is without performances like this. Nonetheless, she was passable and at least on pitch, and she finished it well.

Bottom 3:

SANJAYA -- It's really hard to assess whether or not Sanjaya can actually SING or not, because IMHO, he, when you really listen to it, does NOT. Instead of actually out and out letting it rip and attempting to belt it out, he does this thing where it sounds more like he's TALKING (and in this case a little too fast) in some sort of extended sing-song cadence; he chops off most of his notes too quickly. However, the boy does know how to WORK IT, I'll give him that. Definitely makes the most of what he's got, however limited.

GINA -- I rather suspected that this wasn't going to be her night; this genre is not exactly suited for her. Nonetheless she still could have sang better; this was way too warbly and pitchy and what was with the hair????

PHIL -- PITCHY OR WHAT??? Even worse than usual. Again, great on the big notes, AWFUL on the "small notes"; seems to me the vocal coaches should be correcting that by now but it seems to get worse every week. And while I wouldn't call it "dark" as Simon did, I understand his point. The way he was lit, given the shaved head and rather odd features, he did look more than a bit creepy.

I'm thinking either Phil or Gina goes home. Sanjaya ain't going anywhere for a while; we simply must face this.

It was a total bore-fest for me
couch1.gif
....I just listened while I sat at the computer.

No one thrilled me, no one killed me, so to speak.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Melinda........liked her song but her dress looked like she got shot in the breast and stomach.

Lakisha........looked beautiful. I agree with Tony........leave the ending off but she didn't.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
SANJAYA -- It's really hard to assess whether or not Sanjaya can actually SING or not, because IMHO, he, when you really listen to it, does NOT. Instead of actually out and out letting it rip and attempting to belt it out, he does this thing where it sounds more like he's TALKING (and in this case a little too fast) in some sort of extended sing-song cadence; he chops off most of his notes too quickly. However, the boy does know how to WORK IT, I'll give him that. Definitely makes the most of what he's got, however limited.

Well put, I was referring to him as a bagpipe with a hole in it last night. I don't like his posture either.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
LAKISHA -- Getting past the fact that she was, in the words of the Commodores, "mighty mighty just lettin' it all hang out" [:eek: :eek: ], this was one of the best song/singer matchups of the season. EXCELLENT!! Right up until the very end, when she almost SCREWED UP THE ENTIRE THING by adding that "Ain't no sunshine when he's gone" that Tony Bennett advised her to take out. Mr. Bennett was totally correct; had she just ended with a sustained high note, this would have been one of AI's all-time classics. Like him or not, Mr. Bennett has not had the career he's had by NOT knowing what he's talking about, and it would have served her well had she listened to him. Nonetheless, the rest of it was outstanding.

But if you recall the last time she was told to do something else - or not doing something else - she ignored that too and she could have been even better...

makes you wonder if the wardrobe people have tried to tell her hanging out of her dress doesn't look good and she disagreed. :no: It's really starting to bug me lol (her need to ignore advice...)

BLAKE -- It was OK, but needed more edge. The fact that I think it's one of the stupidest songs ever recorded didn't exactly help it along with me either.
HEY! The song is cool... but I agree he was just ok... and he was losing his way part way through. :(

I will say that this was his best week by far... but that's not saying much...

PHIL -- PITCHY OR WHAT??? Even worse than usual. Again, great on the big notes, AWFUL on the "small notes"; seems to me the vocal coaches should be correcting that by now but it seems to get worse every week. And while I wouldn't call it "dark" as Simon did, I understand his point. The way he was lit, given the shaved head and rather odd features, he did look more than a bit creepy.

he always looks creepy, but with that ballad it just sealed the deal - he's an undertaker (think skinny Uncle Fester!)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
But if you recall the last time she was told to do something else - or not doing something else - she ignored that too and she could have been even better...

makes you wonder if the wardrobe people have tried to tell her hanging out of her dress doesn't look good and she disagreed. :no: It's really starting to bug me lol (her need to ignore advice...

That's right, I forgot about that; it was when she had the choice of "Diamonds are Forever" or "You're My World", and Lulu thought she should have done "You're My World". Tho I loved her version of "Diamonds", I do have to say "World" would have been the better choice.

Actually, I find the wardrobe this season in general to be less than stellar on just about everybody. Part of Gina's problem was she looked like she was on her way to the Goth Rocker Ball, and most weeks that would have more or less worked, but not for the theme last night. Melinda half the time looks like she's wearing something made of old upholstery. Chris I swear wears the same thing every week. Phil looks ridicolous in just about everything, but then again those tall gangly dudes can be pretty hard to fit. All the younger contestants, male or female, tend to wear stuff hanging out from beneath under stuff, which is a look in general that to me just looks sloppy, sloppy, sloppy, in style or not. And what in the world was Paula wearing last night?? Looked like a TV test pattern. Haley always looks nice, tho (which probably has a lot to do with while she's still on), and Blake -- well, it looks good on him, but I wouldn't recommend that look for most guys. (Tho I swear he layers more stuff than Diane Keaton) Sanjaya -- well, all eyes are on the hair, so he could probably come out there in a sweatsuit and no-one would notice. As for LaKisha, well, what can you say? That's a lotta woman to cram into most contemporary styles...

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Personally, I'm really expecting a Jordin/Blake final.

Me too! Many of us here at the office think it will be a Jordin/Blake/Melinda top three, but no one is putting the contestants in any sort of order!
xoxo
Rave

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I like Blake's clothing choices... and Melinda hasn't had too many missteps...

are they still partnered with Old Navy, and I assume since *brain fart* their stylist from seasons past is battling kidney failure (?) they had to get someone new?

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG.........For those who haven't seen the show tonight are going to be shocked!!!!!!!! I was.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ok the show is over, I think, for all time zones.. so spoilers can be called off ;) lol

I wasn't shocked - just because I saw it coming...

this has to be - so far - the worst voting the show has seen

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn't shocked - just because I saw it coming...
Toni, I thought Phil or Haley would be gone tonight, even Chris. Never did I think Gina. Why did you see it coming??

Dee