Andrei Mozalev | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Andrei Mozalev

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
What was the assessment?
I found Andrei's free skate poetic and engaging. The mistakes didn't even detract much from the performance. Not that it matters much but I thought at least 170 points was appropriate, even though the double lutz was unexpected.
I think he gained some new fans after his nationals performances.
Total position 6, he is lower in the table than Kovalev.

Mozalev was robbed. Again. Now even those who treated him calmly argue that his components was very much underestimated.
Well, we can only hope that Mozalev's spirit is strong and that he has the motivation to continue to compete under pressure.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
One year ago. RusNat gala

icewhite

Record Breaker
Total position 6, he is lower in the table than Kovalev.

Mozalev was robbed. Again. Now even those who treated him calmly argue that his components was very much underestimated.
Well, we can only hope that Mozalev's spirit is strong and that he has the motivation to continue to compete under pressure.

The word robbed seems harsh. But in comparison he definitely deserved more PCS points than he got.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Compared to the, let's call it "domestic bonuses" that others get, Mozalev's evaluations are tear-inducing - he gets no bonuses at all, he is judged about the same way international referees would be judged. Sure, he makes mistakes, but that doesn't disqualify him from being judged the same way as other top athletes. We take what happened here as exemplary punishment. If he's not taken to the national team this year, despite definitely the best potential of all the competitors, then... Let's pray for the long patience and stubbornness of Mozalev, I don`t know how to continue in such conditions sports career, with general problems with jumping elements and obvious content limitations and inability to include some expensive jumping elements after surgery and complete lack of interest from RusFed. It is quite possible that he can change the profession.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
He would have reached top 5 and then invited to the gala...
I don't recall his gala program this year.
He had a new exhibition number prepared, unlike most of the participants. No one had seen it yet; it would have been a premiere. But the organizers were not interested in him making a deviation from the rules. A lot of viewers are not happy about it, there are a lot of comments about it.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Mozalev's otherworldly hand is once again like dainty bait for photographers.

By Darya Isaeva

A simple costume idea, and how many Del Toro-style concept photos!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Compared to the, let's call it "domestic bonuses" that others get, Mozalev's evaluations are tear-inducing - he gets no bonuses at all, he is judged about the same way international referees would be judged. Sure, he makes mistakes, but that doesn't disqualify him from being judged the same way as other top athletes. We take what happened here as exemplary punishment. If he's not taken to the national team this year, despite definitely the best potential of all the competitors, then... Let's pray for the long patience and stubbornness of Mozalev, I don`t know how to continue in such conditions sports career, with general problems with jumping elements and obvious content limitations and inability to include some expensive jumping elements after surgery and complete lack of interest from RusFed. It is quite possible that he can change the profession.
I admit I am nervous about his position in the team next season. It was close between him and the skater who narrowly placed above him...however I think they would rather reserve a spot for Mark (their hero) and Andrei will be monitored along with Gleb and Makar.

At point I'm confident that Andrei is still motivated and the feedback from his programs was positive. :) There were no clear favourites at nationals and it's unlikely there will be international assignments for the winners. So, this season is more of a build-up season.

With two clean programs, could Andrei have won nationals outright?
He is very loyal to Davydenko, in terms of 'bonuses' I would maybe consider a move to an alternative coach (not rukavitsin) for his future prospects, but I can't see it happening.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I admit I am nervous about his position in the team next season. It was close between him and the skater who narrowly placed above him...however I think they would rather reserve a spot for Mark (their hero) and Andrei will be monitored along with Gleb and Makar.
Traditionally, RusFed doesn`t deviate from its "six first places at the Nats are automatically on the national team" rule. That's how strange athletes like Erokhov last year and maybe Kovalev next season end up on the national team.

Of course, Mark won't lose his spot on the national team under any circumstances. But by the formal criteria he may qualify for a place in the reserves, but whether it will be so, or whether he will find a loophole, we will know when we see the lists.
Gleb's position seems even more shaky to me, and I assume that it could also be about a place in the reserve, given the unsuccessful RusNat.

It seems very strange to me that a former junior with no international experience (excluding the Santa Claus Cup) would be in the national team, while an Olympic athlete who was in the top six at the national championship would be in the reserves. But after this kind of judging, you can expect anything.

At point I'm confident that Andrei is still motivated and the feedback from his programs was positive. :) There were no clear favourites at nationals and it's unlikely there will be international assignments for the winners. So, this season is more of a build-up season.

What scares me is Andrei's prolonged silence on social media, a sign that he's feeling very strongly about what happened. I hope he won't suffer from a prolonged depression and loss of motivation.

In the post-Olympic season on the Nats the favorites for the new quad are chosen, and the results show that Andrei is not among the favorites, he can't ununderstanding it.

With two clean programs, could Andrei have won nationals outright?

This is a very good question! Before recent events I was sure that yes, now I don't believe it anymore. But things can change in an instant. At the end of the day, you have to see those two clean skates and the scores for them first. Either way, it will be a serious bid to regain the lead. Undoubtedly, Andrei is still one of the leaders of the nat team, I hope no one thinks that he will be replaced by Samarin or Kovalev.

He is very loyal to Davydenko, in terms of 'bonuses' I would maybe consider a move to an alternative coach (not rukavitsin) for his future prospects, but I can't see it happening.

I would feel sorry for an original athlete if he left an equally original coach. No one else will prepare such original programs for Andrei. At least, so far I do not see the prerequisites for this.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
His heart not blind!

I love his eyes :love: It's as if he sees the universe

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei signs autographs for young girls fans

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t think he was robbed. His PCS were the same in SP and FS, ranging between 8.25 and 9.5. His Free wasn’t the best and he was noticeably behind the music again. He has never been able to change program on the fly to match the music after mistakes. So, every stumble and fall sets him out of synch with bars. His performance remains overloaded versus polished.

And, Russians are looking for a stable leading man first and foremost, where Mozalev noticeably can’t deliver 2 stable quads. Neither he has any ‘higher level’ quads. He also doesn’t deliver all 6 triples, since 3F is still missing from his programs. He is also not delivering spins this year. Other men can do far more technically, with Semenenko being a miracle of stability so far.

Unfortunately, Mozalev’s team continues to go for what he doesn’t seem to deliver, the second quad.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I don’t think he was robbed. His PCS were the same in SP and FS, ranging between 8.25 and 9.5. His Free wasn’t the best and he was noticeably behind the music again. He has never been able to change program on the fly to match the music after mistakes. So, every stumble and fall sets him out of synch with bars. His performance remains overloaded versus polished.

And, Russians are looking for a stable leading man first and foremost, where Mozalev noticeably can’t deliver 2 stable quads. Neither he has any ‘higher level’ quads. He also doesn’t deliver all 6 triples, since 3F is still missing from his programs. He is also not delivering spins this year. Other men can do far more technically, with Semenenko being a miracle of stability so far.

Unfortunately, Mozalev’s team continues to go for what he doesn’t seem to deliver, the second quad.

The team probably realizes that without the second quad, Andrei will be ranked in the second ten next to Danielyan and Yablokov. He has no support like Samarin or Kolyada. That's why they will achieve it, maybe they can do it.

Andrei's scores are probably adequate skating, but in the opinion of many, against the background of the scores of the first four look quite undervalued in the second evaluation, plus again noted judicial violations in the form of negative GOEs for the clean landed jumps, of course, it was not corrected and the amount has not been changed. Hence the feeling of robbery, the reaction is really painful, it doesn`t happen when an athlete gets what he deserves. Andrei doesn`t need to forgive his mistakes, but he is entitled to the same treatment as all top athletes, or then everyone should be equal (which will not happen, of course).

However, it seems like we've been through it all, and damn it, it's only RusNat, especially since he's not the last one.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Eh, next to Gummenik it wasn’t hard-core scoring manipulation imo. Mozalev’s free wasn’t great, unfortunately. They will all be skating 3 more competitions anyway.

icewhite

Record Breaker
There's no need for doomism or writing him off here at all. He's a great skater with a good chance things will come together at one point. Personally I am enjoying his programs of this year so much more than last year's. He's showing more intensity and strength.
Overall the PCS were not treated like they should at Russian nationals. The overall trend to make it all about jumps and features continues and still seems even stronger in Russia. That's not advantagious for someone like Mozalev.
One can't say much against the overall placements, they were justified. Maybe Mozalev could/should have overtaken Kovalev, but apart from that his technical score just wasn't strong enough for a better placement anyway. Kovalev is a skater I remembered as having very laboured skating skills, no ease, but in this competition, from what I saw (could only follow in parts), he seemed to be at his strongest, artistically, with a lot more flow than I thought he had.

Basically, I thought the PCS mostly were not adequate, they didn't really take into account the skating and programs but like 90% technical score and reputation and Mozalev neither has a 4Lo/Lz nor has he ever been European Champion. But different PCS would not have changed the overall result much. He simply needed to skate cleaner.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There's no need for doomism or writing him off here at all. He's a great skater with a good chance things will come together at one point. Personally I am enjoying his programs of this year so much more than last year's. He's showing more intensity and strength.
Overall the PCS were not treated like they should at Russian nationals. The overall trend to make it all about jumps and features continues and still seems even stronger in Russia. That's not advantagious for someone like Mozalev.
One can't say much against the overall placements, they were justified. Maybe Mozalev could/should have overtaken Kovalev, but apart from that his technical score just wasn't strong enough for a better placement anyway. Kovalev is a skater I remembered as having very laboured skating skills, no ease, but in this competition, from what I saw (could only follow in parts), he seemed to be at his strongest, artistically, with a lot more flow than I thought he had.

Basically, I thought the PCS mostly were not adequate, they didn't really take into account the skating and programs but like 90% technical score and reputation and Mozalev neither has a 4Lo/Lz nor has he ever been European Champion. But different PCS would not have changed the overall result much. He simply needed to skate cleaner.
Basically, yes. Kovalev used to have that ease, then lost it a little with his growth period.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia

Last edited: