Andrew Torgashev | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Andrew Torgashev

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Andrew and synchro skater Stephen Russell had a IG Live chat as part of the "IceMen" series:

Not a lot of specific content, but encouragement for young male skaters. ...

Stephen Murray is the name of the synchro skater from the Haydenettes who was the other half of the Icemen chat with Andrew.

It was wonderful how their chat really epitomized what the Icemen program is all about: With Andrew and Stephen having never met before (not even virtually) and being from different disciplines, it was great to see how easily they "clicked" and how interested they were to listen to each other and to talk to each other. Their mutual support and respect seemed to come very naturally to them -- because they have a love for the sport in common.

I am grateful to whoever at USFS paired these two personable Icemen ambassadors to chat together.
I was motivated to watch because I always enjoy hearing from Andrew. And to my pleasant surprise, I found Stephen's passion for synchro to be thoroughly compelling. Great job all around.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing Andrew (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew is not listed on the practice groups at US Nats.
He must have withdrawn.
😭 😭 😭

In my opinion, this goes beyond training with a new coach. I am afraid he must be injured although I have absolutely no knowledge.

we will miss him:(

Apple1078

Final Flight
He must have withdrawn.
😭 😭 😭

In my opinion, this goes beyond training with a new coach. I am afraid he must be injured although I have absolutely no knowledge.

Yes, I agree. It was clear from his interview late last year that he planned to compete. The only reason I can think of would be an injury. :(

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
He must have withdrawn.
😭 😭 😭

He did post that he withdrew due to lost practice from an injury, and adjusting to a new coaching system. Sounds like he's doing very well and is disappointed to miss the competition. But he felt it wasn't safe for him to compete. I'm sorry you won't get to see him. But it does sound like he's traveling a good path in his career.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He did post that he withdrew due to lost practice from an injury, and adjusting to a new coaching system. Sounds like he's doing very well and is disappointed to miss the competition. But he felt it wasn't safe for him to compete. I'm sorry you won't get to see him. But it does sound like he's traveling a good path in his career.

Yes, I finally saw the post:)

Still a tad cautious if you ask me (of course I want to know *everything*) but it sounds like a combination of injury and new coaching situation. But his head does sound like it's in a good place.(y)

I'm not one of those who thinks Raf, or any coach, is the one and only solution to all a skater's issues. But if he can get Andrew's head in the right place, which IMO is way more necessary for him than technique, I will be forever grateful:pray:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, I finally saw the post:)

Still a tad cautious if you ask me (of course I want to know *everything*) but it sounds like a combination of injury and new coaching situation. But his head does sound like it's in a good place.(y)

I'm not one of those who thinks Raf, or any coach, is the one and only solution to all a skater's issues. But if he can get Andrew's head in the right place, which IMO is way more necessary for him than technique, I will be forever grateful:pray:
I agree! Andrew's problem is mostly confidence. Raf is an excellent coach. He can't fix everything, but he clearly knows what he's doing. Andrew outgrew his former coaches, as Jason did and Shoma did. Andrew is in a good place and it's up to him to make the most of it. And it seems like he's doing that.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew's IG post says he is healthy and training hard, but not competing "due to a few things that have occurred this season." A font of information he is not:laugh:

Obviously still loving the California beaches though🌊

Apple1078

Final Flight
I just listened to Andrew's interview on Polina's podcast. I was worried about him this season because we didn't see him at Nationals but really thrilled to hear how happy he is in California. Not sure what it is (if he missed the sun in Colorado... I mean, he grew up in Florida) but it just sounds like he's in a really good place. So excited to watch him next season.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree Andrew T. sounds happy to be in Cali at least for the weather (which I also wondered a little, it's warm in Florida too, but hey, if he's happy).

I would have liked more info on what Andrew is actually training and what specifically he is doing. I felt I learned more about Polina's training routine than Andrew's:laugh:

Also, and knowing what little I do of Andrew I'm not sure we'll get this, why exactly did he go to Raf? I mean, I know the default answer for almost any American skater is Raf, but I don't like default answers. ;) Learning more quads? Training with more international skaters? getting yelled at in Russian again? :biggrin:

Inquiring minds want to know.

(Couldn't figure out how to link to the Andrew episode, here is a link to the Polina podcasts:

. )

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And Andrew is back on the ice with a competitive program:party2:

He was lowballed in the scoring
:devil:

I think this program will be soooo good for our boy: the slow burn, the faster step sequence, the attention paid to each positioning of arms and fingers and upper body.

All the drama, and it perfectly fits him:)

Ella5555

On the Ice
This appears to be a “getting his feet wet again” routine after being out of competition for so long. The first steps of the program are great along with the step sequence - plus love his hands. The bones are there. The technical difficulty will come later.

Apple1078

Final Flight
This appears to be a “getting his feet wet again” routine after being out of competition for so long. The first steps of the program are great along with the step sequence - plus love his hands. The bones are there. The technical difficulty will come later.
I agree! He's been out of competition for a really long time. What struck me about his protocol was that the 3T-3T and 3S were actually planned content so I think the strategy is exactly as you say: "Getting his feet wet again."

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been derelict in updating, but I keep looking (without success:() for a video of Andrew's FS.

Andrew came in third at Glacier Falls after the FS:

But on closer look, his tech score was pretty low, not even a 3A, and he got the highest PCS of the FS:clap: So room for optimism(y)

And Andrew is also now on the ISP for the US. :hap10:
(h/t to IceCoverage for the head's up)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great interview of Andrew on Polina Edmunds podcast.

He re-injured a stress fracture this year, sometime after Glacier Falls. He thought he was coming back and then was put in a boot for six months. He sounds so level headed and mature and responsible about coming back from his injury.

at the end of the podcast, Polina asks what are his goals for the next four years and he says

"I hope to have people remember my name and what I was doing on the ice"

We will:rock: