Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No because others obey the rules of the what the IOC and the USOC has stated
well at least her name will now be more followed than Gracie to Sochi

Ashley has not disobeyed any IOC rules. She might have said something that her federation has stated she should be silent about or turn a blind eye, but that's her prerogative.

So silly that you think she's doing it for publicity, when she was the one asked the question... ever think she responded as she did because she genuinely felt that speaking up was the right thing to do, even if it might jeopardize her standing with the IOC/USOC/ISU? Go back and look at her statements.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ridiculous? See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Russia

Bigger than US congress and US senate.;)

American politics are bipartisan fundamentally, so you'll rarely get everyone agreeing on something.

Russia is primarily homophobic and is patriarchal and archaic/old school in its thinking, so it's not surprising to see them all pass the law. Also, the opinions and actions of Duma don't always reflect the opinions of the majority of Russians in every case.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Way to go Ashley! Now I too know which American lady to root for...btw I'm also rooting for Tukt...

PS - Tchaikovsky was gay and died from alcoholism probably due to his inner deamons...too bad Russia wasn't more gay friendly back in the day...think of all of the fabulous music we missed out on...I sure hope that we can turn the tide so that the same thing doesn't continue to happen today.

brightphoton

Medalist
The IOC isn't an organization like the UN that looks out for the welfare of its people. I'd even suggest it doesn't care about its own athletes over the interests of their money backers.

The only thing that matters to the IOC is that their sponsors can peddle their trash food.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Way to go Ashley! Now I too know which American lady to root for...btw I'm also rooting for Tukt...

PS - Tchaikovsky was gay and died from alcoholism probably due to his inner deamons...too bad Russia wasn't more gay friendly back in the day...think of all of the fabulous music we missed out on...I sure hope that we can turn the tide so that the same thing doesn't continue to happen today.

your statement is a joke right ? Tchaikovsky lived in an Era in the late 19th century
no country was gay friendly. the US where he lived most of the end of his life was still pretty much a backwards country.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've heard some articles say that it's only 42%, and some newscasts say 25%. My best friend's next door neighbour's relatives in Russia all say it's anywhere between 20-29%. My massage therapist is Russian and she say it's 35% so I think I'm going to go with that. I've also heard that 86 to over 90% of statistics are made up on the spot, and 45% of posters will posts stats without links to articles in the hopes that people will actually consider them to be accurate.

:rofl::rofl::rock::party::party2:

Well, I have it at a confidence level of p < .001 that it's actually over 95% of stats that are made up on the spot. Also, though unfortunately at p < .056 so I can't really claim it, but more like 75% of internet users post stats with no links, or links to only secondary sources also purporting the same statistic with no reference. My husband's co-worker's daughter's friend agrees, so there you have it.

Ok, sorry, really nowhere near as funny as your post, but still I had to pay homage to your wit!

waxel

Final Flight
Bluebonnet and sky_fly20... you both clearly have serious issues with this subject beyond a young woman stating her opinion. You too are entitled to your opinions... however illogical, mean-spirited, bigoted and disturbing they are.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:rofl::rofl::rock::party::party2:

Well, I have it at a confidence level of p < .001 that it's actually over 95% of stats that are made up on the spot. Also, though unfortunately at p < .056 so I can't really claim it, but more like 75% of internet users post stats with no links, or links to only secondary sources also purporting the same statistic with no reference. My husband's co-worker's daughter's friend agrees, so there you have it.

Ok, sorry, really nowhere near as funny as your post, but still I had to pay homage to your wit!

Something doesn't have to be witty to be true.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Tchaikovsky was born in 1840 and most of his prominent works were composed in the 1860's...hardly the end of the century by any means....

and no I'm not joking...I'm trying to make a point...which was missed...so here it is...stop being so mean spirited towards gays...it affects people in some very negative ways...

Ashley gets it :)

why not ? she knows Gracie is the Golden girl not worn out Wagner with no 3-3
with this attention her name will be plastered and will be more profiled than Gracie
leading to the Olympics not to mention her publicity gig for endorsements purposes

she gets fame, money and media hype from the LGBT commutiy
its a win-win for her

? But this is just something you made up in your own mind. We have no reason to believe that Ashley is thinking like that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:rofl::

Hehe, thanks. ;) Sometimes the best reaction one can have to bigotry/idiocy is to just laugh it off.

ghislaine

Rinkside
its a win-win for her

I wish. At most she'll get a retweet from HRC or a short article (repurposed from the AP) on GLAAD's website. LGBT community a) is absolutely not a powerful force in media and culture b) has bigger fish to fry. Ashley does not have anything to gain from this, except the gratitude of her gay fans.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wish. At most she'll get a retweet from HRC or a short article (repurposed from the AP) on GLAAD's website. LGBT community a) is absolutely not a powerful force in media and culture b) has bigger fish to fry. Ashley does not have anything to gain from this, except the gratitude of her gay fans.

Not just gay fans, but really, anybody who opposes discrimination and upholds human rights. A huge part of LGBT acceptance is straight allies. I love Ashley for doing this because it's totally her personality not to back down and go with a safe, rehearsed response.

why not ? she knows Gracie is the Golden girl not worn out Wagner with no 3-3
with this attention her name will be plastered and will be more profiled than Gracie
leading to the Olympics not to mention her publicity gig for endorsements purposes

its a win-win for her

It's been my observation that no American skater these days gets "fame and money" for anything, even an OGM. I bet most people in this country have barely heard of Evan Lysacek, for example. Also, most large corporations (the businesses most likely to sponsor athletes and hire them to endorse products) are notoriously conservative and would never give a celebrity more exposure for supporting gays. Anything controversial frightens them. So if you use that line of thinking, Ashley is less likely to increase her wealth or her celebrity by making such a statement. I therefore doubt that either publicity or cash is a motivation for her to speak out.

Celine

On the Ice
bluebonnet and sky_fly20... You both clearly have serious issues with this subject beyond a young woman stating her opinion. You too are entitled to your opinions... However illogical, mean-spirited, bigoted and disturbing they are.

this

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
? But this is just something you made up in your own mind. We have no reason to believe that Ashley is thinking like that.

...most large corporations (the businesses most likely to sponsor athletes and hire them to endorse products) are notoriously conservative and would never give a celebrity more exposure for supporting gays. Anything controversial frightens them. So if you use that line of thinking, Ashley is less likely to increase her wealth or her celebrity by making such a statement. I therefore doubt that either publicity or cash is a motivation for her to speak out.

Yes, all of these. Also...since when did Gracie Gold become such a mega star? I really don't see where the "Oh, Gracie's getting all the attention and Ashley hates it so she's pulling this publicity stunt" thing is coming from. Gracie had some decent outings last year and made her name known as an Olympic hopeful, but she didn't exactly take the world by storm and win everything in sight. Ashley was still the top U.S. skater. Yes, Gracie's younger and newer and that excites people, but Ashley's hardly over the hill herself. How is Gracie America's golden girl?

And sky_fly20, do you see how you're contradicting yourself? On one hand, you say, "Oh, she's just doing this to help her career. Total win-win for her, obviously." On the other hand, you're saying, "Well, there goes her medal. Ha!" If she just lost her chances at a medal by saying what she did, then how was this some great self-serving career move that will totally make the money and endorsements start flying at her? I don't believe either of these things myself, but it really makes no sense to claim both.

You're not making any coherent argument. I suspect you just plain don't like what she said, and so you're pulling anything out of your behind to dismiss her without putting any thought into it.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Yes, all of these. Also...since when did Gracie Gold become such a mega star? I really don't see where the "Oh, Gracie's getting all the attention and Ashley hates it so she's pulling this publicity stunt" thing is coming from. Gracie had some decent outings last year and made her name known as an Olympic hopeful, but she didn't exactly take the world by storm and win everything in sight. Ashley was still the top U.S. skater. Yes, Gracie's younger and newer and that excites people, but Ashley's hardly over the hill herself. How is Gracie America's golden girl?

And sky_fly20, do you see how you're contradicting yourself? On one hand, you say, "Oh, she's just doing this to help her career. Total win-win for her, obviously." On the other hand, you're saying, "Well, there goes her medal. Ha!" If she just lost her chances at a medal by saying what she did, then how was this some great self-serving career move that will totally make the money and endorsements start flying at her? I don't believe either of these things myself, but it really makes no sense to claim both.

You're not making any coherent argument. I suspect you just plain don't like what she said, and so you're pulling anything out of your behind to dismiss her without putting any thought into it.

This.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And sky_fly20...

I've never met a bigot yet who let thought, logic and actual facts get in their way.

On the other hand, history does march forward. It may take more time in some places than others, but progress will inevitably progress. That's small comfort for LGBT Russians right now, but then we LGBT people have lived through this before (I could tell you some stories about the AIDS crisis that would -- and should -- appall anyone with a heart).

The thing is, no matter how much people like the Russian government and those who support this reprehensible policy would like LGBT people to disappear off the face of the earth, it ain't gonna happen. I said it before and I'll say it again, all this "LGBT people can't reproduce so they must recruit" is just so much codswallop. There are volunteers each and every year. And there always will be as long as humans are on the planet.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Bluebonnet and sky_fly20... you both clearly have serious issues with this subject beyond a young woman stating her opinion. You too are entitled to your opinions... however illogical, mean-spirited, bigoted and disturbing they are.

What are you implying?:confused:

Is it hurting too much to let Russia know that many people in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the rest of the world find this law repugnant? It is all opinion and you and they can say it is none of our business but you and they can't ignore the fact that many outside Russia's borders find the law greatly offensive? Ignore it or deal with it.

Of course they will ignore it. As long as the Russian people want, the law will stay. Such cry from the west can only make the Russians harden their beliefs that the influences are from the west.

Please enlighten me that which country/countries in Asia and Africa have voiced disapproval on this Russian anti gay propaganda law? Thanks in advance!

:clap: :agree:

And I'm really surprise that some are deeply trouble with Wagner personal opinion! Even result into personal attack toward her :confused:.

Not on par with the flood of attacks including personal attacks that Abbott got. Made Abbott afraid of stating his personal opinions on the matter. So much for "tolerance"!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What are you implying?:confused:

Of course they will ignore it. As long as the Russian people want, the law will stay. Such cry from the west can only make the Russians harden their beliefs that the influences are from the west.

Please enlighten me that which country/countries in Asia and Africa have voiced disapproval on this Russian anti gay propaganda law? Thanks in advance!

Not on par with the flood of attacks including personal attacks that Abbott got. Made Abbott afraid of stating his personal opinions on the matter. So much for "tolerance"!

If you say something stupid that compares gay rights to interior decorating, and trivialize the plight of others, then maybe you do kinda deserve to be flamed for it. Although, I suppose if we were to follow sky_fly's infallible logic, Abbott should be thankful for the all the attention he's getting from his comments.

As for "as long as the Russian people want, the law will stay"... you say that as though the Russian people had a say in the first place, or even have a say in general, about laws like this getting passed. Although I suppose Duma could advocate for anything that they claim/spin as "protecting Russian children" (take kids away! prevent adoptions! let the gays be bashed!) and Russians will nod their heads in acquiescence... I mean, agreement.