Ashley Wagner's 2009-2010 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's 2009-2010 Season

Nigel

On the Ice
^^Actually; I think Ashley is taking a year off to focus on skating. She's graduated from high school, but she hasn't started college yet. So now it's basically skating and doing a little of teaching beginning to skate and adult classes in Wilmington. I know she wants to go to Georgetown next year (I don't know if she's already been accepted).

She must be taking some classes...from her Twitter page:
"I've been putting off studying for my Iliad test all week, I suppose it is time to get started on that...
4:59 PM Oct 7th from web

cornell08

Final Flight
I just rewatched both her Moran programs and I must say I like her short program much more... The music cuts of the long really remind me of her Spartacus long-- some nice moments surrounded by rather harsh sounding clashes...the music doesn't really build up momentum but rather throws everything but the kitchen sink at you all at once. The loud 'dynamic' moments of a piece can go overboard and become ineffective if it makes up the majority of the program. The choreography/performance is beautiful but the music hampers it imo.

I think Mirai and Alissa are much better about balancing dynamics within a program. Caroline's on the other end of the spectrum mirroring Ashley.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I haven't read all the comments, just wanted to pop in & say that I wish Ashley Wagner the best this season (as I do ALL the U.S. women). I thought she should've won 2008 U.S. Nationals, that's how much I enjoyed her programs, her talent, her natural ability (she still reminds me of a more advanced Emily Hughes). If only she can acquire the mental toughness of Rachael Flatt.

Good Luck, Ashley!!!!:thumbsup:

cornell08

Final Flight
Just got back from Cambridge and finally got a chance to watch Ashley's LP-- very beautiful. Confirms two things--

1) Ashley still holds the title of most sophisticated choreography/best interpretation of music among the American women (helps that her music choices are great)

2) Her long program 'look' is lovely, but I wonder if its a bit much. Like she's about to play Peasblossom in A Midsummer Nights Dream much.

Johar

Medalist
I am so excited to see her skate this year! I always knew she would be hitting the podium sooner or later.

nubka

Final Flight
:p
Just got back from Cambridge and finally got a chance to watch Ashley's LP-- very beautiful. Confirms two things--

1) Ashley still holds the title of most sophisticated choreography/best interpretation of music among the American women (helps that her music choices are great)

2) Her long program 'look' is lovely, but I wonder if its a bit much. Like she's about to play Peasblossom in A Midsummer Nights Dream much.

Maybe she should have channeled Cobweb or Mustard Seed...lol! :p

Trewyn

Medalist
I was really pleasantly surprised with her showings at Russia (obviously; since she won a medal!). But her jumps look a lot better; she seems to really have worked on making sure they're all fully rotated. Just one UR in the entire competition is a good start of the season! (I couldn't see the underrotation so it must have been relatively minor and hopefully easy to fix) She also didn't two-foot any of her jumps (except one in the gala). Just too bad about her Lutz take-off; looking at the protocols; a correct take-off on the lutz might have made the difference between 5th place and 1st place... That's something to think about for sure...
I hope she'll grab a medal in NHK as well; I think she might have regained a lot of confidence from Russia. NHK is a tough event; not only will she be up agains fellow medalists Miki and Alena but Yukari and Laura as well. Of course if she skates as well as she did in Russia; she will likely be on the podium there... I'll keep my fingers crossed ;)