Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2014 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2014

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re: So Youn (Romeo and Julliete)

This is a better program than last year. There is no doubt about that in my mind and that is a good thing. Now. She needs to execute like she did at Worlds consistently. This skate lacked execution and full commitment IMO. That is going to be the key for her this year if she wants to move up and or at least stay where she is in the rankings. She has a beautiful flow that is quite apparent but all those little errors and moments of disconnect really take from the overall impact of the program for me. This is the type of program/music that can really be affected by simple errors due to how subtle it is in nature. It's still early and the panel may have been a bit stingy so no need to panic yet.

That dress :love:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
What is it with you people? Since when is being balletic Yuna-copyrighted? That's a Russian thing (I kid). Anyways, look at yuna's previous performances before her back started killing off her spins and bielman. She has a certain intensity that, as lovely as soyoun's performance was, a simply balletic performance doesn't have.
Don't take it personally. Melon is always like that when it comes to Yuna. It's Yuna or no one else.

*shrugs*

But I also thing s/he's right. There's a little choreographed passage right before the spiral that reminds me of a great deal of Yuna's programs. I don't know if it's an actual Yuna thing or if that's just how Davis Wilson choreographs. Either way, it's thanks to Yuna that she gets to work with foreign skating officials instead of relying on KSU, so can't complain too much

MiRé

Match Penalty
Don't take it personally. Melon is always like that when it comes to Yuna. It's Yuna or no one else.

*shrugs*

But I also thing s/he's right. There's a little choreographed passage right before the spiral that reminds me of a great deal of Yuna's programs. I don't know if it's an actual Yuna thing or if that's just how Davis Wilson choreographs. Either way, it's thanks to Yuna that she gets to work with foreign skating officials instead of relying on KSU, so can't complain too much

:laugh:

But on a serious note.... SoYoun needs to find her own style in skating. There was an interview not long ago where SY said she borrowed couple moves from Yuna and implemented in her program. Whether or not that's Wilson's decision or SY's I think it's better to find herself in a spot where she can reign without looking Yunaish. Now, there's nothing wrong with being like her, but it's a fan's desire to see a different style of skater from Korea. We had Yuna, but Korea needs SoYoun. Not Yuna's kids or 2nd Yuna, Princess.....whatever the Koreans or fans would name similar to Yuna

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tend to agree with Melon here but at such a young age it's kind of hard to expect skaters to have a large versatility of style. Especially when they get rushed onto the Senior Circuit so fast. I mean....being dynamic is one thing but you have to be who you are first and if I'm not mistaken Yuna helped shape the way she skates at a young age. Better to skate what you know and do it to the best of your ability than to do something uncomfortable just to show yourself in a new light at the risk of performing subpar. Hmm...it's a bit confusing honestly. Not everyone has a unique approach and I'm not sure that is a bad thing always. I love uniqueness but not at the sacrifice of quality.

sunnybear

Rinkside
I agree. It seems like many South Korean skaters are skating a lot like Yuna and I do wish they could develop their own style as they mature. I think Yeri Kim (from advanced novice) is one skater that definitely has her own unique style and interpretation. Sohyun, on the other hand, seems to Yuna-ish (as Melon said), down to the music choice. That said, it is pretty exciting to see all these new talents sprouting out from the ground especially in the advanced novice and junior categories. :)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That said, it is pretty exciting to see all these new talents sprouting out from the ground especially in the advanced novice and junior categories. :)

While its sad to see some of our favorites retire its great to see all of the emerging talent hoping to fill the void. I think its very exciting. Welcome to posting here at GS. :)

Kuan

Final Flight
Soyoun's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsyDBm0Pq30#t=97

Looks nice even though she needs to work with some parts of her program. Definitely not a program that worths 47 points for PCS and falls behind the juniorish Japanese girls.

Very nice free skate. :love: But like in the SP she struggeled with her steps. I just wonder, are they just new or to difficult for her. :eek:hwell: I hope she has them under control till skate america, cause the music and choreo are wonderful.

BusyMom

Medalist
Park has two good programs under her belt now. It is just too much alike in my opinion. She looks either uncomfortable with her new programs or the weight of the expectation gotten to her at this point. I hope she will get over her obstructions and be back strong in the GPs. No need to be top of her game at the pre-season anyway. I found that people will associate her with Yuna no matter what. IMHO Yuna is more athletics and more emotional performer. Park OTOH is more balletic style (she is more like Zijun-I think). DW did a great job with her. It will blossoms out through the season. They will prove the haters wrong.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I have always thought So Youn has her own style that is different from other Korean youngsters although they certainly do share a certain commonality in emphasis in lyricism, musicality, certain upper body movement in their skating like use of arms...but how is anyone really surprised? Same coach, same choreographer, same country, same school, personal hero etc. It is not like Korea is stacked full of coaching, choreographer talents.

Learning is part of an evolving process, you start by inspired by the greats then eventually establish your own style. To deny this universal basic principle is saying no one ever tried to skate like Michelle Kwan (include a very young Yuna Kim), or no one try to skate like Plushy in Russia. Bear in mind, not capable is not the same as not wanting to try. One can argue Frank Carroll has been trying to shape Mirai and Gracie like Michelle II, III, IV etc...whether they deliver or suited is another matter.

Kim has inspired many youngsters in different ways, not just in Korea (Just check out ZiJun's self choreographed program I Dream a dream, or even Hanyu in his approach to skating and even utilising the same team/environment). Being Korean just made So Youn unfairly scrutinised due to the crazy expectation from the media searching for the next Yuna Kim. Sweet 16, making the wave at last worlds, learn to handle the media attention, expectations and pressure, it is going to be a long bumpy road ahead. She will also need to learn dealing with stingey/unfair marking just like Kim. Highest ranked skater at the competition got some of the lowest mark in PCS include 2x 4.75s from one judge for winning the FS at the competition. Figure skating will continue to be a controversial political sport due to uncertainty with anonymous judging and the fact there are always going to be frictions among different federations and national interests.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just saw SoYoun's FS comp version, so much better than run-through, so touched, should earn at least 53 PCS...

andyjo24

Medalist
Re: So Youn (Romeo and Julliete)

This is a better program than last year. There is no doubt about that in my mind and that is a good thing. Now. She needs to execute like she did at Worlds consistently. This skate lacked execution and full commitment IMO. That is going to be the key for her this year if she wants to move up and or at least stay where she is in the rankings. She has a beautiful flow that is quite apparent but all those little errors and moments of disconnect really take from the overall impact of the program for me. This is the type of program/music that can really be affected by simple errors due to how subtle it is in nature. It's still early and the panel may have been a bit stingy so no need to panic yet.

That dress :love:

Amen. I agree with every point that was mentioned here! :)

cooper

Medalist
well.. yuna during her interview one time she was quoted that skaters in korea should watch other skaters in the world not only to learn but to give them more of inspiration... and she's right.. these young skaters should develop on their own maybe in the future..

oh david.. i want to stop complaining already about his redundant choreography.. but it's not like the korean skating union is doing anything at all.. so...

lbc2138

On the Ice
Some protocols:

Haejin https://twitter.com/Sanhocho/status/498372596119777280 (boy, this was a mess...)
Kyueun https://twitter.com/Sanhocho/status/498372839309729792
Soyoun https://twitter.com/Sanhocho/status/498372935397031936

Soyoun's protocol is beautiful, except for that second judge. Sub 5 scores, what the heck??? :scratch: That definitely explains her PCS on some level...

I'm kinda disappointed that she doesn't have a 3-3 combo yet. But I'm still hoping it'll change when the season starts! Hope she improves her speed, I for one think her artistry is quite mature-looking for her age. Even with the disappointing skates at the Olympics, she's very graceful with her arms even if she is one of the slower skaters in the elite class. So I'm definitely disappointed in her PCS scores for this competition...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I'm kinda disappointed that she doesn't have a 3-3 combo yet. But I'm still hoping it'll change when the season starts! Hope she improves her speed, I for one think her artistry is quite mature-looking for her age. Even with the disappointing skates at the Olympics, she's very graceful with her arms even if she is one of the slower skaters in the elite class. So I'm definitely disappointed in her PCS scores for this competition...
Are you talking about So Youn, because she has a 3S+3T. She didn't do one at this event because she messed up her 3S both times.

elee63

Final Flight
I have always thought So Youn has her own style that is different from other Korean youngsters although they certainly do share a certain commonality in emphasis in lyricism, musicality, certain upper body movement in their skating like use of arms...but how is anyone really surprised? Same coach, same choreographer, same country, same school, personal hero etc. It is not like Korea is stacked full of coaching, choreographer talents.

Learning is part of an evolving process, you start by inspired by the greats then eventually establish your own style. To deny this universal basic principle is saying no one ever tried to skate like Michelle Kwan (include a very young Yuna Kim), or no one try to skate like Plushy in Russia. Bear in mind, not capable is not the same as not wanting to try. One can argue Frank Carroll has been trying to shape Mirai and Gracie like Michelle II, III, IV etc...whether they deliver or suited is another matter.

Kim has inspired many youngsters in different ways, not just in Korea (Just check out ZiJun's self choreographed program I Dream a dream, or even Hanyu in his approach to skating and even utilising the same team/environment). Being Korean just made So Youn unfairly scrutinised due to the crazy expectation from the media searching for the next Yuna Kim. Sweet 16, making the wave at last worlds, learn to handle the media attention, expectations and pressure, it is going to be a long bumpy road ahead. She will also need to learn dealing with stingey/unfair marking just like Kim. Highest ranked skater at the competition got some of the lowest mark in PCS include 2x 4.75s from one judge for winning the FS at the competition. Figure skating will continue to be a controversial political sport due to uncertainty with anonymous judging and the fact there are always going to be frictions among different federations and national interests.

Such a calm and collected way of just simply laying down the facts. Love it.