Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2014 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2014

Meoima

Match Penalty
She got nearly the same PCS at the Olympics with a very bad skate.....

I just think it was a stingy panel.
I think the panel is too harsh on her. :scowl: or maybe she hasn't gotten used to the new programs yet? Even if she had a bad skate, I would give her 50 at least.

andyjo24

Medalist
I don't see why she can't get low PCS even with a solid technical performance. PCS is not about technical skill but artistry. Furthermore, there should not be a fixed PCS point range for each skater based on their prior performances or reputation, because PCS is awarded based on the artistry a skater demonstrates in the actual performance itself, not based on the artistry they have demonstrated in the past. If a skater skates badly they deserve low PCS points. It does not matter if they have received an excellent PCS score in a prior competition. PCS should not be about reputation.

Also, the fact that the Japanese ladies got higher PCS points than So Youn is also not something that strange - maybe they simply skated with better artistry than So Youn on this occasion. Linking the points they received with their nationality is bad form IMO.

Okay, first of all, I completely agree with your statement that PCS should not be about reputation. That would be the best thing to ever happen in figure skating. However, that will NEVER happen in reality, so whenever I think about PCS scores, I always factor in reputation because that's just how it is. Very unfortunate, but that's reality..

Secondly, PCS scores are definitely not about technical skills, but they definitely don't equal artistry either. PCS is supposed to be a combination of skating skills, transitions, choreography, etc, not just artistry. And IMO, So Youn definitely deserves above a 50, considering all these factors listed (even more so because she went nearly clean. Of course, technical scores do not equal PCS scores, but still there's a definite positive correlation, and I don't see any of that here...)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
beautiful music, lovely, SoYoun's looked very tired in the practice run-through. choreo still cannot tell much from this run-through.
I read live report that the LP is very impressive, and it feels like a true performance not just a competition.

the music editing is really really lovely and so fresh, I wish SoYoun can perform well in the future. the music and role fits SoYoun perfectly.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I love her dress. :love: very disappointed at the scored, but this is only a B senior so I guess it's just warm up. When she enters the GP series it will be different. :yes: the choreography does look nice here.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Soyoun's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsyDBm0Pq30#t=97

Looks nice even though she needs to work with some parts of her program. Definitely not a program that worths 47 points for PCS and falls behind the juniorish Japanese girls.
I haven't seen the Japanese girls so I couldn't make some comparison. This program has potential. I have the feeling she was a little bit tense. But's still it's just the beginning of the beginning of this season so there will be time for her to refine it. I hope she will improve her speed. If it were me, I would give her 50PCS since this is not her best yet. :)

andyjo24

Medalist
I haven't seen the Japanese girls so I couldn't make some comparison. This program has potential. I have the feeling she was a little bit tense. But's still it's just the beginning of the beginning of this season so there will be time for her to refine it. I hope she will improve her speed. If it were me, I would give her 50PCS since this is not her best yet. :)

This is definitely not her best yet, considering she's usually a late-season skater.

Personally, I would give her a little higher than 50 (~53. Haha). I can definitely see her break 60 in PCS this season if she can improve the performance level and prove that she is a consistent skater. Can't wait until the GP season!:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
She does remind me a little of Yuna, but (I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this..) she also reminds me of Akiko for some reason....
Well, I don't think she is Yuna-like. At first I thought so, too. But after a while I think not. She has her own strength obviously, if any I think it's the choreography. David Wilson as we know him. :slink: but there are plenty of time and So Youn can make this program her own:). I have much faith in her as the representative of Asia.
Since current Japanese ladies have too many technical issues :bang:.

ahy

Final Flight
She does remind me a little of Yuna, but (I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this..) she also reminds me of Akiko for some reason....
She does remind me of Akkiko in this program... but I can say this is quite a good skate ;)

elee63

Final Flight
ugh.............SoYoun's performance is too Yuna like....... :cry:

What is it with you people? Since when is being balletic Yuna-copyrighted? That's a Russian thing (I kid). Anyways, look at yuna's previous performances before her back started killing off her spins and bielman. She has a certain intensity that, as lovely as soyoun's performance was, a simply balletic performance doesn't have.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker