Australian figure skaters | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does anyone know how old Holly Harris is? I just watched her for the first time and was seriously impressed. Hopefully after winning novice at nationals twice in a row she'll move up to junior... I'd love to see her on the JGP.

Holly Harris!!! :jaw:

A couple of days ago, one of my Facebook friends posted a status asking people to "like" his little sister's new Fan Page. And her name just happens to be... Holly Harris!

Although I haven't seen any pictures of her without her helmet on, given that her brother is from Wiltshire and she is racing in a British series, I take it it's not the same wee girl...

Anyway, I just watched skater Holly's SP from this year's Nationals, and I completely agree with what you say about her being seriously impressive! Having seen that, I can't wait until she is doing Junior GP's either!

Australia really is coming down with strong Ladies skaters! Unless they can earn a few more slots, it is going to be the Hunger Games in a few years time! :eek:

All the best to both Hollys in their respective sports!

CaroLiza_fan

GF2445

Record Breaker
Holly Harris!!! :jaw:

A couple of days ago, one of my Facebook friends posted a status asking people to "like" his little sister's new Fan Page. And her name just happens to be... Holly Harris!

Although I haven't seen any pictures of her without her helmet on, given that her brother is from Wiltshire and she is racing in a British series, I take it it's not the same wee girl...

Anyway, I just watched skater Holly's SP from this year's Nationals, and I completely agree with what you say about her being seriously impressive! Having seen that, I can't wait until she is doing Junior GP's either!

Australia really is coming down with strong Ladies skaters! Unless they can earn a few more slots, it is going to be the Hunger Games in a few years time! :eek:

All the best to both Hollys in their respective sports!

CaroLiza_fan

Yeah, Australia always seems to have a strong-enough women's competitor to send, if only they were able to get 2 spots. S always a hunger games of sorts.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I heard it was because of bullying that the partnership split.

With Harley and Eliza, I guess it would have been difficult to maintain the partnership across two different states.

Jordan Split with Eliza because she wasn't putting in the same amount of effort and commitment that he was. Then eliza partnered Harley. They had trouble learning elements and struggled on many elements that she was once good at. Eliza then split with him. She then joined synchro for a year but has now quit that as well. Harley found a new Russian partner with more talent. Eliza still skates for fun but is focusing on University.

Urucubaca

Rinkside
Jordan Split with Eliza because she wasn't putting in the same amount of effort and commitment that he was.

I just heard that it wasnt harmonious at all, and that's from people who saw it... training, competitions, etc Etc Etc. It'd be hard to put effort into something when the conditions aren't nurturing in the slightest.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Yeah, Australia always seems to have a strong-enough women's competitor to send, if only they were able to get 2 spots. S always a hunger games of sorts.

It seems that there was a real possibility of two junior world ladies spots if Kraine had skated junior worlds. From what I hear people were not at all happy with this decision and as a result Australia also lost JGP spots. After not getting a YOG spot, losing JGP spots and not making free at worlds you have to wonder how OWI justify all that funding on one skater and not spending anything on synchro or other disciplines!

I wasnt able to see any of Hollins but from scores and last season it's clear where the future over the next two Olymphc cycles is and where OWI should be focusing:

Men: Brendan, James Min, possibly a Dodds
Women: Kailani, Holly Harris
Pairs; Harley & Russian Girl
Dance: Matilda & William

Of course people can get injured or quit but if I was on OWI that's where my money would be, and there's at least one real potential in every discipline, now and moving forward

brookes1968

Rinkside
I wasnt able to see any of Hollins but from scores and last season it's clear where the future over the next two Olymphc cycles is and where OWI should be focusing:

Of course people can get injured or quit but if I was on OWI that's where my money would be, and there's at least one real potential in every discipline, now and moving forward
Holly Harris is sweet but hasnt even skated junior yet and is not eligible until 2022. Plus she has to grow. Just because all of these skaters you mention except Min and the dancers are basically traning in the USA doesnt mean they dont have potential. Also katie Pasfield was good enough to go to Junior worlds and 4CC - surely she has potential !

I hate the way in Australia the favourites are already picked before they have proved themselves and strong personalities in the skating community get on the bandwagon like its a political campaign. This is not doing the sport any favours as was evident this season when Kailani did not meet expectations. OwI should really supporting only one skater being Brendan Kerry as he has proved himself.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice

There are several other skaters who already have both junior world TES scores according to the rankings being Darian Kaptich, Charlton Doherty, Katie Pasfield and Amelia Jackson. Why aren't they considered as having potential? I agree - Harris and the pairs havn't even competed internationally at qualifying level but are already supposed to be supported by OWI??

more attention needs to be paid to international scores where reputation and favouritism doesnt affect scoring as much - A much more realistic picture emerges then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good point but let's face it no one in Australia is basically going to touch Brendan and Kailani, and James and the dancers are developing but who knows where they would go with support to train overseas. Harley's partner may be an import but they are very good together and could go well overseas. I think you have to target your funding rather than spread it too thin over too many athletes.

Last edited:

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I have a problem with a lack of respect for skaters. im gonna a go out and say it, but certain people (belinda) who have a hand in OWI scholarships only turned up to watch and support the new pair team at hollins and didn't watch or care about any senior lady or man. It's the attitude that certain skaters are favoured and everyone else is **** and shouldn't be given a chance

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have a problem with a lack of respect for skaters. im gonna a go out and say it, but certain people (belinda) who have a hand in OWI scholarships only turned up to watch and support the new pair team at hollins and didn't watch or care about any senior lady or man. It's the attitude that certain skaters are favoured and everyone else is **** and shouldn't be given a chance

There was practically no-one at the rink for the Senior Men's short. Maybe twenty, if that. A few more for their free skate.

Actually, one of the worst I've seen was at Nationals last year, when, after suitably deafening everyone in the rink with their mindless idiotic screaming, the synchro teams all walked out as soon as their events were done and left the Adults skating in front of basically no-one.

At any rate, we have a lot of promise in all divisions, and we will keep developing if only we do not fall prey to stupid infighting.

Brendan comfortably qualified for the free skate at Worlds this year and is now comfortably over 200 in his total score. He finished the season on a real high note, fighting out that free skate at Worlds and then winning the Gardena Spring Trophy. Kailani had a great season, finished well at Four Continents, and then, in a field where fourteen ladies were cut, missed making the free skate by six tenths of a point. If just one judge had given her a little more...and there were plenty in that rink who thought she got stiffed on the second mark. And while they might lead the pack for the moment, they're not alone. Andrew made a gigantic leap forward last season, and Jordan was so tantalisingly close to that 4CCs spot. And now Mark, too, is back, and landing the 3A again. James Min and Charlton Doherty look strong. Brooklee is nipping at Kailani's heels and keeping that battle tight, and Katie Pasfield and Yancey Chan are improving nicely.

Matilda and William are improving rapidly, as are Jessica and Charlton. And all of our pairs have improved. Paris and Matthew got the Th3Lo this season and really looked stronger, and Jessica and Ryan were able to make their international debut. And I'm sure we'll all be keeping our eye very closely on Ekaterina and Harley.

Yes, we have much to be excited for. The Grand Prix assignments come out in a week and a half and we will see then if Brendan will return to the GP circuit - I imagine that he will as he is ranked higher in all of the WS, WR and SB lists than he was this time last year. And all too soon it'll be competition time again, and soon we'll see new programs and new music from more skaters, and then it will be on to the new international season! :yes:

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Yes there has been lots of talk in NSW that there is some very interesting wording in new policies allowing for loopholes leading into the Olympics - just to ensure they get the chosen ones where they want them.

I'm very distressed to hear this stuff is still going on after being involved in the sport for over 40years - it seems to be getting worse!

GF2445

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6H9N4HQI-Y&feature=youtu.be

Holly Harris's free skate from Broadmoor Open. I just love watching her skate! She always pours her heart and soul into the performance.
She puller up from 10th to 4th place. Thats a huge achievement

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6H9N4HQI-Y&feature=youtu.be

Holly Harris's free skate from Broadmoor Open. I just love watching her skate! She always pours her heart and soul into the performance.
She pulled up from 10th to 4th place. Thats a huge achievement

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Yes - lovely skate. She certainly seems to get a lot of publicity. I didn't think she has skated junior in Australia yet?