Australian figure skaters | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So apparently there was a last-minute change and the stream for Golden Spin is now free. I will post the link later since Brendan skates first in the men's SP tonight which is around 10pm.

Katia and Harley should be fourth for sure. I was not happy that the slop-fest from the last pair went ahead of them.

Pleased to hear that Brooklee and Kailani had good skates, and over the moon for Kimberly and Timothy! This 4CC team is getting bigger!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really sorry everyone for not posting the link in time for Brendan. You have to sign up to Livestream to use it.

LINK

It's a pretty junk stream, but Brendan skated well. 4T, 3Lz-3T, and a foot down on the 3A. 76 and change, not bad.

Icesk8r

Rinkside
It seems the technical panel for ladies FP were too busy looking for under rotated jumps to notice that Kailani performed a 3S (not 2S as recorded in the results) as the third jump of her 3 jump combo.

Big mistake for the technical panel especially when the technical controller is the chair of the ISU technical committee!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Net the best day for us today. Alot of growing pains, but i admire the determination of our athletes.

Well done Brendan- even though the bronze position slipped, he managed to attain a good score and attempted to get the toeloop and salchow out. Great 3A, and also fantastic step sequence. Great to also see him stay on his feet and go for everything.

For Katia and Harley, i think the jgpf has given them the realisation that the hard work begins now. That its not going to get easier from here on in, especially if they want to qualify for the olympics through 2017 worlds. They show their potential, but they have growing pains to get over. I hope they dont see this as a failure, but as a learning experience about how to better prepare for the big competiton and spotlight. I hope they see that being there was a reward for them. But now, time to get back to work and build confidence.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan was actually royally screwed. No way should he have finished behind Messing, Petrov should not have beaten him, and I would have thought that Samohin's fall-fest would have been enough to drop him behind Brendan too, but no.

But the worst part is that he needed 222.47 to overtake Max Aaron and finish in the top three of the Challenger standings - and he got 221.97. :gaah:

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
I'm not sure what is going on with Katia and Harley? I thought they looked rather solid at the Australian nationals, especially with the throw lutz, and now they can't seem to land it at all? :confused:

Lots of work needed to be done. Hopefully Harley can eat a slice of humble pie and take a long, hard look at what needs to be done, because that once that initial rambunctious enthusiasm wears off, they have to realize that the difference between them and the top today is like night and day. Harley needs to work on the twist; it already looks unstable even when they do it fine, so I was not surprised at all that they had issues on the twist today, but I WAS surprised that he completely aborted it. It's been forever since I've seen someone abort a twist! He also needs to work on that 3S, since I have never seen him land it; surprised that Katia landed it though, so good for her. Harley also needs to work on his levels on the pairs elements, as level 3's won't cut it come the Olympics and Worlds, and he should also try to help his partner gain a little more elevation on the throws. For Katia, it seems like she is always round but can never get a good solid edge to ride out on, so she needs to work on that. She does seen to have a lean, so they need to work together on those too. Overall, great progress and experience for them, as they have made a statement by being at the JGPF, but unfortunately their statement was a little stale with their performances, so they should really work hard to raise judges' perceptions of them. Looking forward to seeing how they do at 4CCs!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not sure what is going on with Katia and Harley? I thought they looked rather solid at the Australian nationals, especially with the throw lutz, and now they can't seem to land it at all? :confused:

My guess is that they just got a little bit overwhelmed on the big stage. Remember, they weren't "supposed" to be there. Everything has happened very fast. It was a horror show to watch but I am sure they know what they did wrong and what they need to do to fix it.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure Harley landed the 3S at Nationals.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Also, we have to remember that they are a new pair team. It takes a couple years of work for a couple to truly mesh and become a "True" pair team, if you get what I mean. They are looking for 2018 but we probably won't see their full potential at least the start of the next olympic cycle. They probably are also working at finding a way to communicate better (especially when expressing what's on each other's minds/emotions/feelings/opinions) with each other despite the obvious language barrier- this will be important in building trust between them.

And yes the spotlight. Finlandia and The Junior Grand Prix Final were probably the biggest stages either skaters ever competed in, so it is overwhelming not to notice the bright lights, and that there are more eyes in the arena and on TV watching you compete. Also, the would've been inspired, as well as intimidated a little by seeing the other top pairs competitors display a skating level and quality that they are yet to reach.

Last edited:

Icesk8r

Rinkside
It seems the technical panel for ladies FP were too busy looking for under rotated jumps to notice that Kailani performed a 3S (not 2S as recorded in the results) as the third jump of her 3 jump combo.

Big mistake for the technical panel especially when the technical controller is the chair of the ISU technical committee!

What is going on???
How can the ISU change a protocol in an ISU Challenger event after the victory ceremony that is not a mathematical error? The protocol now has 3S< For Kailani Craine's 3 jump combo. If they called the "double" clean and missed the third rotation how can the jump now be under rotated? Shouldn't there be some official explanation from ISU for changing the result? Calling the jump clean 3S most likely would have changed overall placings??

Interesting note, the final placing and detailed results have been removed.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What is going on???
How can the ISU change a protocol in an ISU Challenger event after the victory ceremony that is not a mathematical error? The protocol now has 3S< For Kailani Craine's 3 jump combo. If they called the "double" clean and missed the third rotation how can the jump now be under rotated? Shouldn't there be some official explanation from ISU for changing the result? Calling the jump clean 3S most likely would have changed overall placings??

Interesting note, the final placing and detailed results have been removed.

My guess is that the initial entry of "2S" was a data entry error. These things happen from time to time. It was probably an honest mistake. It has now been corrected. The ISU generally doesn't explain such corrections and to be honest this event was so shambolically organised that I'm unsurprised we had an error of this type.

Probably they called double Salchow real time, went back, looked at it, realised it was a 3S<, and then for whatever reason, the change did not occur in the system. It's frustrating and annoying, especially since the judging times at GS seemed to be inordinately long, that such a thing has happened, but I don't think it actually changed anything bar the numbers.

I am surprised it took them so long to correct it. In other events such corrections are usually picked up before the medal ceremony.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Also, we have to remember that they are a new pair team. It takes a couple years of work for a couple to truly mesh and become a "True" pair team, if you get what I mean. They are looking for 2018 but we probably won't see their full potential at least the start of the next olympic cycle. They probably are also working at finding a way to communicate better (especially when expressing what's on each other's minds/emotions/feelings/opinions) with each other despite the obvious language barrier- this will be important in building trust between them.

And yes the spotlight. Finlandia and The Junior Grand Prix Final were probably the biggest stages either skaters ever competed in, so it is overwhelming not to notice the bright lights, and that there are more eyes in the arena and on TV watching you compete. Also, the would've been inspired, as well as intimidated a little by seeing the other top pairs competitors display a skating level and quality that they are yet to reach.

Good points. As Ted Barton said of their free skate in Tallinn, this pair has a very promising future.

The difference between their first and second JGP event efforts were like night and day. They were like a different team.

Since then, they have added more difficulty to their programs, replacing the throw triple toe with a throw triple lutz, and the side by side double axels with triple salchows.

I'm pretty sure I saw Harley holding an asthmatic inhaler in the Kiss & Cry at Nationals, so endurance is also going to be another factor in their training. Skaters at events don't have a lot of time to practice and run through their programs, either.

Adding to their last minute invite to the Junior Grand Prix Final, every event they have attended has carried more and more importance. It must be so hard switching back and forth between junior and senior competitions, with the short requiring side by side triple jumps, and the free skate an extra thirty seconds in length.

Watching the live stream early this morning, I am sure seeing the pair before them take that nasty fall in the lift must have rattled their focus as well.

Learning to cope with all of the distractions such as noisy crowds, fans, interviews, and the other skaters will be part of the learning curve. I can only imagine what a whirlwind journey this must be for them.

Great that his coaches had the foresight to pair him with such great match, and to keep him in the sport.

Australia is extremely lucky to have such amazing athletes to represent us.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I taught at a university, and grades, once submitted, could only be changed because of "clerical error". With the new grade, you had to submit "an explanation of the error, but not in detail". So explanations were along the lines of "a clerical error recording the final exam grade", "a clerical error calculating the final grade", "a clerical error calculating the average homework grade", etc. As long as you used those magic words "clerical error" and said what type of error, you were golden.

Change of figure skating marks seem similar. Marks can be corrected due to a clerical error. In this case, a clerical error in inputting (is that even a word?) the jump code. I believe there have been similar errors before.

As for the timing, the correction is probably done when it is called to the referee's attention. The faster it's caught, the faster it can be corrected.

Icesk8r

Rinkside
My guess is that the initial entry of "2S" was a data entry error. These things happen from time to time. It was probably an honest mistake. It has now been corrected. The ISU generally doesn't explain such corrections and to be honest this event was so shambolically organised that I'm unsurprised we had an error of this type.

Probably they called double Salchow real time, went back, looked at it, realised it was a 3S<, and then for whatever reason, the change did not occur in the system. It's frustrating and annoying, especially since the judging times at GS seemed to be inordinately long, that such a thing has happened, but I don't think it actually changed anything bar the numbers.

I am surprised it took them so long to correct it. In other events such corrections are usually picked up before the medal ceremony.

IF as you suggest, it was a data entry error why wasn't it picked up by TC or ATS who would have 3S written down on their papers before authorisation of elements. The data would have read 2S. It still begs the question why a 2S called clean turns into a 3S<. The landing of the jump didn't change. Before any results are posted, they have to be signed off by ref and TC, so this error obviously was brought to their attention after the results were posted which was after the medal presentation.

By changing to an under it just changes "numbers" but a clean 3S changes a place.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Watching the live stream early this morning, I am sure seeing the pair before them take that nasty fall in the lift must have rattled their focus as well.

Oh christ, that lift fall...that could have been such a disaster and it did seem to rattle all the first-group pairs. At least Harley aborted the twist, rather than go into it when he wasn't sure and...yikes. this is why I'm a pairs chicken.

Change of figure skating marks seem similar. Marks can be corrected due to a clerical error. In this case, a clerical error in inputting (is that even a word?) the jump code. I believe there have been similar errors before.

As for the timing, the correction is probably done when it is called to the referee's attention. The faster it's caught, the faster it can be corrected.

More or less correct. IIRC this happened with Ross Miner at COR 2015 - one of his spin codes was put in wrong, and so originally Rippon had the bronze, but the error was corrected, and Ross got the bronze instead. I was never sure with that one whether Ross' team approached the referee or the TP caught it, because it was corrected really fast.

IF as you suggest, it was a data entry error why wasn't it picked up by TC or ATS who would have 3S written down on their papers before authorisation of elements. The data would have read 2S. It still begs the question why a 2S called clean turns into a 3S<. The landing of the jump didn't change. Before any results are posted, they have to be signed off by ref and TC, so this error obviously was brought to their attention after the results were posted which was after the medal presentation.

By changing to an under it just changes "numbers" but a clean 3S changes a place.

You would be amazed what human errors can do. Been there, done that. I remember reading back the correct abbreviation when the wrong one was in the computer once. Because I had read back the correct abbreviation, no-one realised until I did, right as the screen was about to vanish. That one had to be corrected later. It had been a long day, we were in a division of some forty skaters, and my brain just farted.

Where the UR 3S comes into it will depend on what the TP's style is. I've known some tech specs who'll call every jump clean but mark for review and then start on the URs and << after the program is finished. Others will call the < or << in real time during the program. Neither is right or wrong but I will admit the former method does tend to open up room for errors of this nature.. It could be that the tech spec called it 2S originally, it was corrected, and then missed in the read through.

Honestly, I don't know what happened here, but I am just trying to explain how usual errors of this type happen.

Boniboy

Rinkside
Oh christ, that lift fall...that could have been such a disaster and it did seem to rattle all the first-group pairs. At least Harley aborted the twist, rather than go into it when he wasn't sure and...yikes. this is why I'm a pairs chicken.

More or less correct. IIRC this happened with Ross Miner at COR 2015 - one of his spin codes was put in wrong, and so originally Rippon had the bronze, but the error was corrected, and Ross got the bronze instead. I was never sure with that one whether Ross' team approached the referee or the TP caught it, because it was corrected really fast.

You would be amazed what human errors can do. Been there, done that. I remember reading back the correct abbreviation when the wrong one was in the computer once. Because I had read back the correct abbreviation, no-one realised until I did, right as the screen was about to vanish. That one had to be corrected later. It had been a long day, we were in a division of some forty skaters, and my brain just farted.

Where the UR 3S comes into it will depend on what the TP's style is. I've known some tech specs who'll call every jump clean but mark for review and then start on the URs and << after the program is finished. Others will call the < or << in real time during the program. Neither is right or wrong but I will admit the former method does tend to open up room for errors of this nature.. It could be that the tech spec called it 2S originally, it was corrected, and then missed in the read through.

Honestly, I don't know what happened here, but I am just trying to explain how usual errors of this type happen.

So Karne are you a TS or a judge ?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So Karne are you a TS or a judge ?

Neither. I am a skater who gives many many hours to the support of my sport as well as practice. I am a fan who loves and supports all of the Australian skaters.

My current dream: to see the Australian flag listed for the Team Event at Pyeongchang. Now, wouldn't that be something special?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
From memory, it was very close between Australia and Great Britain for that 10th spot in the Sochi Team Event.

Yes, we were the first reserve team, I think it was a very small number of ranking points. But we have a stronger collective this time to earn points with, and the skaters are stronger in their development too. Four years has changed a lot.

janav

On the Ice
Does Alexandrovskaya have australian citizenship? Or will she have it in time for the Olympics?