BMO Skate Canada Eastern Western Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

BMO Skate Canada Eastern Western Challenge

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Some folks at ISU forum (http://forums.isu.org) are going to see the challenges. so once I hear from them, I will keep you guys updated...I'm still thinking of going myself...

Men's roster is fantastic to say at least. Ladies, not all that exciting, but we have a few up and comers who show a hint of potential...

aarower

Rinkside
I'm definitely going Saturday to see the Mens short and Womens free. I may stop by on my lunch hour on Friday and watch some of the women's shorts.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I'm definitely going Saturday to see the Mens short and Womens free. I may stop by on my lunch hour on Friday and watch some of the women's shorts.

Please take good notes, music programs, jumps, costumes etc... and this is for anyone else who is going to the competition.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Men's roster is fantastic to say at least. Ladies, not all that exciting, but we have a few up and comers who show a hint of potential...

I am going to take a peek this weekend too!
The Men's roster is less exciting without Chris and Jeremy in the mix, but I am very curious about how Paul Poirier is doing in Senior Singles :)

According to previous experience (an absolute exhuastion), I am inefficient in enjoying the performance, taking notes and pictures, and explaining to my skating-ignorant friend at the same time:frown:

dgel

On the Ice
Looks as though we have to wait till tomorrow for results. I assume it's top 9 to qualify to Junior Nats in p/novice/ novice?

nadster

Final Flight
Looks as though we have to wait till tomorrow for results. I assume it's top 9 to qualify to Junior Nats in p/novice/ novice?

For novices and pre-novices it is the top 8 or top 1/3 of the field ( whichever is larger ) that qualifies for junior nationals.

For juniors it is top 10 or top 1/2 of the field ( whichever is larger ) that qualifies for nationals.

nadster

Final Flight
I am going to take a peek this weekend too!
The Men's roster is less exciting without Chris and Jeremy in the mix, but I am very curious about how Paul Poirier is doing in Senior Singles :)

Paul should qualify fairly easily for nationals if he skates his best. He did beat Ken Rose in Octoberfest and he beat Joey Russell in the SP there as well. Although he doesn't have the axel he otherwise has excellent skating skills however consistency can be a problem for him.

If Kevin Reynolds finishes in the top 3 at nationals ( a definite possibility ) , then Paul might get consideration for junior worlds depending on how he skates at nationals. Right now, Balde can definitely write his ticket to junior worlds. Kevin will join him if he doesn't finish top 3 at nationals. If Kevin gets the trip to senior worlds, then the 2nd mens spot for junior worlds will be decided between Poirier and whoever wins junior mens. Except for Balde, none of our other men had great results on the JGP this year.

Kypma

Final Flight
Paul should qualify fairly easily for nationals if he skates his best. He did beat Ken Rose in Octoberfest and he beat Joey Russell in the SP there as well. Although he doesn't have the axel he otherwise has excellent skating skills however consistency can be a problem for him.

If Kevin Reynolds finishes in the top 3 at nationals ( a definite possibility ) , then Paul might get consideration for junior worlds depending on how he skates at nationals. Right now, Balde can definitely write his ticket to junior worlds. Kevin will join him if he doesn't finish top 3 at nationals. If Kevin gets the trip to senior worlds, then the 2nd mens spot for junior worlds will be decided between Poirier and whoever wins junior mens. Except for Balde, none of our other men had great results on the JGP this year.

Hm... would Skate Canada still send Paul Poirier to Junior Worlds if he and Vanessa Crone finish second in dance (a possibility) and get sent to worlds? Also, I suppose it would depend on how he skates at Nationals, since he struggled at the Courchevel (FRA) JGP.

-Kypma

nadster

Final Flight
Hm... would Skate Canada still send Paul Poirier to Junior Worlds if he and Vanessa Crone finish second in dance (a possibility) and get sent to worlds? Also, I suppose it would depend on how he skates at Nationals, since he struggled at the Courchevel (FRA) JGP.

-Kypma

Crone/Poirier will finish 2nd in dance at nationals with no problems. The GP season has established that they are comfortably ahead of Weaver/Poje. The dance podium at nationals is the easiest to determine by far.

Personally , I don't think that Skate Canada will want to send Poirier to junior worlds anyway even if his performances justify it. They want him to concentrate on dance so that Canada will have 3 entries for the Olympics ( a real possibility). Last year he finished 2nd in junior men and Dave Ferland 3rd. Dave Ferland was the second substitute for junior worlds that year and Poirier was not listed as a substitute for JW.

Balde was the only Canadian man who performed well on the JGP. Poirier was the only other male who got a JGP assignment competing senior this year. All the other JGP bound skaters are competing in junior men.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Event schedule: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/2009ChallengeSchedule.pdf

EASTERN Challenge Wednesday results are online (Junior Men & Ladies SP, Junior Dance CD+OD, Novice Dance CD, Pre-Novice Men, Ladies & Pairs SP) -- results/protocols index link: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2009/09east/09east.htm

WESTERN Challenge Wed. Junior Dance CD+OD results are up -- results/protocols index link:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2009/09west/09west.htm

SENIOR CHALLENGE starting orders/results page: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2009/09senior/09senior.htm

Here's hoping that some of you attending the Challenges will report on the highlights here! :)

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
According to previous experience (an absolute exhuastion), I am inefficient in enjoying the performance, taking notes and pictures, and explaining to my skating-ignorant friend at the same time:frown:

Well, you can always try to ditch the skating-ignorant friend... :p Just kidding, I'm sure there's a good reason why you still bring him/her along despite the cluelessness. ;) All of us on this thread who cannot attend the Challenge will greatly appreciate any news that you (and the others) can give us.

And because I love this guy's skating WAY, WAY, WAY too much, I will worship anyone here who can give me detailed reports on the Fedorizer (yes, that is indeed his nickname on FSU! :laugh:) :bow:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Gopatrick, if your worried about taking an ignorant skating friend TAKE ME!!! I promise to not go completly nuts when I see Fedor.

All of us here understand that taking an ignorant skating friend can interupt ones ability to take notes. But if I may ask one small favor PLEASE take notes on Fedor, if no one else then just Fedor Andreev, must know everything. Costumes, programs, music, etc...

Siberia82, has the right idea, by the way how did you get the Fedor Avatar, I want one:love:

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Gopatrick, if your worried about taking an ignorant skating friend TAKE ME!!! I promise to not go completly nuts when I see Fedor.
Siberia82, has the right idea, by the way how did you get the Fedor Avatar, I want one:love:

I don't mind picking you up at all;)
I think Siberia captured her avatar from Fedor's 2000(?) video. How do I know? Haha, because I did that 2:biggrin: Here are several I had from Fedor 2000 and 2005:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/3023542039_91307289dc_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/3023542061_09409dda4c_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/3023542085_a608b60fb8_o.jpg

To put some fuel on Siberia's madness, here are some pictures I took last year:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/3019738288_d55ebc2786.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/3019836154_86ce020821.jpg
Pay special attention to this one, instead of in front of the judges, the Prince is kneeing down right in front of me:p
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/3019835952_57f3ff53c9.jpg

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But if I may ask one small favor PLEASE take notes on Fedor, if no one else then just Fedor Andreev, must know everything. Costumes, programs, music, etc...

Don't forget to take notice of his haircut, how hot he looks, any gossip about him and Tessa (are they still dating? :confused:), etc. Oh what I can say, I just find the man to be endlessly fascinating! :cool: Fedor is LONG overdue for a fluff piece which focuses solely on him. Helloooooo CBC, his story is the ideal stuff that fluffs are made of! I hope at the very least the network will go into detail about how Jeff became his choreographer since they like to "use" star athletes to sell figure skating to non-fans in Canada.

I think Siberia captured her avatar from Fedor's 2000(?) video. How do I know? Haha, because I did that 2:biggrin:

:laugh: Yeah, you caught me. Isn't he irresistible or what?

To put some fuel on Siberia's madness, here are some pictures I took last year:

Thanks for sharing your photos. And it's not "madness"; it's Fedor Fanaticism! :biggrin:

Pay special attention to this one, instead of in front of the judges, the Prince is kneeing down right in front of me:p
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/3019835952_57f3ff53c9.jpg

Oh my goodness, I would faint if he knelt in front of me!!! *thud*

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Results are up for Wed, Thurs and Friday competitions.

What stands out most to me.

At Eastern challenge, Alexandra Najarro won the junior ladies. She normally lands 4 triples in her long program, but this time she doubled the planned 3T and received 114.35 total, which is well below her personal best of 136.41.

Samuel Morais won the junior mens' at eastern challenge with the 150.29, which is slightly higher than his PB. He landed all the planned triples including 3F-3T C. He has no 3A yet in his program.

So far, Canada has no notable star juniors who will carry on after 2010.

nadster

Final Flight
Results are up for Wed, Thurs and Friday competitions.

What stands out most to me.

At Eastern challenge, Alexandra Najarro won the junior ladies. She normally lands 4 triples in her long program, but this time she doubled the planned 3T and received 114.35 total, which is well below her personal best of 136.41.

Samuel Morais won the junior mens' at eastern challenge with the 150.29, which is slightly higher than his PB. He landed all the planned triples including 3F-3T C. He has no 3A yet in his program.

So far, Canada has no notable star juniors who will carry on after 2010.

Morais is only 16 years old. He has time still to master the triple axel.

As far as Najarro goes, I don't think she will go far as a senior. She had a consistent toe and salchow when she was in pre-novice. So she has not added to her arsenal since.

Personally, I think Rylie MC is the most promising of the junior ladies. At 14, she has already established a consistent triple loop ( key word consistent here ). She is younger than Najarro and her lutz looks like it will come really soon. She has landed some nice triple lutzes in practice. Furthermore, she is not prone to implosions.

I also read in another board that in the Manitoba sectional competition, Kate Charbonneau landed a clean 3flip-2toe and attempted a 3lutz (fall) . I will not read too much into this until I see more notes from other competitions. This may be a sign of something big or someone who landed a big jump once in a blue moon and is more likely to implode ala Kang and Tisluk. I also have no idea about Kate's age though. Why she didn't get picked for a JGP ahead of the perenially underotating and low PCS Rika Inoda would be the question.

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside
I also read in another board that in the Manitoba sectional competition, Kate Charbonneau landed a clean 3flip-2toe and attempted a 3lutz (fall) . I will not read too much into this until I see more notes from other competitions. This may be a sign of something big or someone who landed a big jump once in a blue moon and is more likely to implode ala Kang and Tisluk. I also have no idea about Kate's age though. Why she didn't get picked for a JGP ahead of the perenially underotating and low PCS Rika Inoda would be the question.

Because she used to skate for the US... and the adhesion year starts by October of the present. So my take is that she wasn't a Skate Canada member by the end of the summer and couldn't represent Canada on the jr. circuit.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
GO FEDOR!!!! What time does he skate? Any updates practice reports, I am snowed in can I have some results please:bow: