Boyang Jin | Page 73 | Golden Skate

Boyang Jin

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always hope he isn't injured, but I think in this case, he is off to a slow start to the season, as has been his custom in the past. I remember at Sk Amer 2016, we were really worried about him, because in the SP he fell on his 2 quads and had a poor 3rd jump. The FS wasn't much better, but then he went on to take a bronze medal at Worlds 2017. Wishing him the best.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I always hope he isn't injured, but I think in this case, he is off to a slow start to the season, as has been his custom in the past. I remember at Sk Amer 2016, we were really worried about him, because in the SP he fell on his 2 quads and had a poor 3rd jump. The FS wasn't much better, but then he went on to take a bronze medal at Worlds 2017. Wishing him the best.

Most of the men had a rough ride... I'm sure he'll regroup and build up.

MajaHled

Rinkside
Guys let's not panic here, he usually has a slow start to the season. Also about the jumps: I think I figured out what the problem is while sitting right above where he jumps them. He's been trying to shorten his setup for them (like, no more gliding across the whole rink before quads) and he can do it just fine in practices and lands them comfortably, but with the added pressure of competition he switches back to his usual long setup, except that he starts too late for that and ends up with his free leg in the boards. As I was watching him go for the Lutz, I was internally screaming jump already, jump, jump, you're too late, but alas, he did not XD. But I think he can overcome this in a few comps.

pandatours

On the Ice
Boyang needs to go to Orser.......:slink:

I wish he did but I understand why he didn’t. Beyond the difficulties of moving to a new country and the language barrier, any improvements made would be slow and steady and likely frustrating for someone at his level. 单飞 is always a gamble, even with the financial support of the Federation and I think moving to Orser would have put more pressure on him.

This wasn’t an ideal outing for him but I hope he can bounce back at IdF

combo

Rinkside
I don't understand how people can already be saying he should have moved to Orser when it's this early in the season and Boyang has never proved to be strong this early, and Orser's new students aren't exactly performing spectacularly right now... :slink:

I don't understand how people can already be saying he should have moved to Orser when it's this early in the season and Boyang has never proved to be strong this early, and Orser's new students aren't exactly performing spectacularly right now... :slink:

all his senior students (except for Jason, but that's another story) had medal in all competitions so

//

I wish he would have done a challenger first to fix certain mistakes. Wishing for the best.

And my grammar is off, sorry

but I do agree is too soon to say he would've done better with Orser. He needed time to adjust before going to competition:palmf:

combo

Rinkside
all his senior students (except for Jason, but that's another story) had medal in all competitions so

//

I wish he would have done a challenger first to fix certain mistakes. Wishing for the best.

And my grammar is off, sorry

I mean, I specified his new students, aka Medvedeva and Brown, and like you said, Brown hasn’t medalled and Medvedeva’s was a silver and a bronze, her first placement outside of the top two in her senior career with a score below 200. I don’t dislike Orser, his students, or his methods (pretty much the opposite actually) but he isn’t a magician and he isn’t the right fit for everyone, Boyang didn't see him as the right fit for him. Whether he'll regret that remains to be seen, but it's been a matter of months, not years, and this is his first international competition of the season. I just dislike the implication (not made by you!) that the result would have been any different if it were Orser by his side instead of Xu and Fu.

Its not within my interests to argue this any further though, and it looks like we share the same perspective otherwise. :)

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
There’s no way to know how well Boyang would be doing with Orser as his coach. Could eventually be a great success like Yuzuru or Javi, or maybe just not work out so well. Like Orser wasn’t the best coach for Adam Rippon - just to name one example.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nam Ngyuen's experience with TCC didn't work out well either. Granted, he had big-time growth spurt issues.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ultimately no coaching arrangement guarantees success, and if Boyang really didn’t feel comfortable uprooting himself halfway across the world, he’s probably better off not doing so.

However, this will always be a fork in the road, and if things don’t end up going the way he hopes in Beijing, it’s inevitable that you’ll have people speculating on what might have been (probably including Boyang himself).

Shanshani

On the Ice

Orser's students who have been with him a while now are doing well, but his new students are struggling a bit with the transition--not exactly unexpected. I don't think anyone knows what would have happened in the long term had Boyang gone, but in the short term I doubt the difference is huge either way.

Anyway, hopefully this is just Boyang following his usual pattern of weakness early in the season and strength later on. It's worth noting that due to program (minus one jumping pass) and scoring changes (mistakes hurt more), this score is lower than a similarly bad skate would have scored under the old rules. So it isn't as though he bombed especially badly compared to other GP bombs.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I think it's kneejerk - they're looking at Yuzu and Junhwan mostly (the latter has had a great start!). Remember how people a couple of weeks ago said Evgenia made such a mistake going there, and after the Olympics Nathan should have gone there... and little Stephen Gogo was being mishandled there... and even way back at the start, Yuzu made a huge mistake leaving Japan at all.

I don't follow much except the men, so can't say if this kneejerking second-guesswork happens elsewhere but if his later outings do well everyone will change the tune yet again. I hope Boyang does show them all it was the right thing to do and how (and I'm pro-TCC)

I do love love love his SP.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I think it's kneejerk - they're looking at Yuzu and Junhwan mostly (the latter has had a great start!). Remember how people a couple of weeks ago said Evgenia made such a mistake going there, and after the Olympics Nathan should have gone there... and little Stephen Gogo was being mishandled there... and even way back at the start, Yuzu made a huge mistake leaving Japan at all.

I don't follow much except the men, so can't say if this kneejerking second-guesswork happens elsewhere but if his later outings do well everyone will change the tune yet again. I hope Boyang does show them all it was the right thing to do and how (and I'm pro-TCC)

I think it’s just knee jerk panic, period. [emoji56] We figure skating fans are not known for our steady nerves. As far as the coaching situation goes: it’s not like there’s anything new to say. The facts as we know them haven’t changed. And Boyang’s own answer to the question suggests we won’t be learning more. Time to let the dead horse rest peacefully, methinks.

I wasn’t sure about the short when we saw it in shows but, oh man, what a great vehicle for Boyang. It allows him to connect with the audience without hitting the slapstick/lighthearted comedy themes we know he excels at. Also, I’m loving the hair.

Is it just me or does he seem taller? I wondered if he hadn’t grown slightly at WC18, but it seems even more evident now...? Or I’m crazy. Which is a very plausible explanation, frankly.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:agree: And I love his SP!!!

HoneyBear

On the Ice
One thing always frustrates me is that he never really goes to CS competitions. It would be nice to test his programs before going to the bigger GP events. This is his fourth senior season and he only went to one CS event and that was during the Olympic season. Not only him, almost the entire Chinese national team (save for the ice dancers) doesn't go to these events.