British and Irish Figure skating 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There is actually only one team that is not playing any home matches that week. So...

ODYSSEY ARENA, BELFAST, FOR THE SENIOR GP, BABY!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

...and Dundonald Ice Bowl for the Practice Rink! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Unfortunately, I was premature in my excitement.

Just looked at the Odyssey Arena website, and it turns out that there are two concerts being held there that week. 😞

Date
Time
Event
Wednesday 9th November
19:30​
Biffy Clyro
Saturday 12th November
20:00​
Kevin Bridges: The Overdue Catch-Up

A Scottish rock band and a Scottish comedian.

The Jocks are conspiring to prevent Northern Ireland hosting it's first ever ISU event! :mad: :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It still staggers me that NI has two rinks for 1m residents and the Republic has zero for 5m.

Any way let’s hope it gets sorted soon even if it’s not in the UK.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It still staggers me that NI has two rinks for 1m residents and the Republic has zero for 5m.

You do realise I was only joking about you guys sabotaging our chances of hosting the GP. ;) But, good comeback! :biggrin: :bow: :clap:

To be fair, our population is not far off 2 million now. But, I totally agree. Two rinks that are barely 5 miles apart in the same city, and none in the rest of the island, is not fair.

Even if the South's previous rink, the Dundalk Ice Dome, were to re-open, that would be 3 rinks in the North-Eastern quarter of the island (Dundalk is just 52 miles from Belfast). The other 3 quarters of the island would still not be served.

Incidentally, here is a story from January with an update on the re-opening saga:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dkit-ice-rink-cost-5654404-Jan2022/

Whilst I agree that the priority must be to get a rink in Leinster, what is also really needed is to have a rink in Connaught (e.g. in Galway or Sligo) and another in Munster (e.g. in Cork or Waterford). That would really open up the opportunities for people right across the island to get access to ice, and not just those on the more populated east coast.

Any way let’s hope it gets sorted soon even if it’s not in the UK.

Definitely. Because all this uncertainty is really messing up people's plans.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:
Reactions: DSQ

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Well, it seems that all of your prayers have been heard and answered as the ISU has just confirmed that the fourth GP event will be held in Sheffield, GB and will be called MK John Wilson Trophy:

Official announcement on the website

(Also in the announcement: "The lists of entries for the 2022/23 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series will be published on the ISU website on Friday, July 22nd 2022.")

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, it seems that all of your prayers have been heard and answered as the ISU has just confirmed that the fourth GP event will be held in Sheffield, GB and will be called MK John Wilson Trophy:

Official announcement on the website

(Also in the announcement: "The lists of entries for the 2022/23 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series will be published on the ISU website on Friday, July 22nd 2022.")

Thank you for the confirmation of the good news, both here and in the thread in The Edge. :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

I've already posted a comment over in the other thread, so I won't repeat everything I said in it here.

But can I just take the opportunity to bring into this thread something that @fzztsimmons said in the other thread:

"Can’t believe they missed the opportunity to call it Skate Britain 💗"

Absolutely brilliant!!! :bow: :clap: :points:

I wish the event all the successs in the world! With there only being six every year, it is a great honour to be selected to host a Senior Grand Prix.

:cheer: CONGRATULATIONS SHEFFIELD!!! :cheer:

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Hey, I just had a thought. There is a World Superbike round in Indonesia the weekend of "Skate Britain". Although the action will be early in the morning UK time, when we have flyaway races, British Eurosport normally repeats them "as live" at the time that they would have been held at if it had been a round in Europe. And this is likely to overlap with the skating.

So, given that British Eurosport likes to do something special for the British rounds of series that they have the rights to, might Discovery opt to show "Skate Britain" in it's entirity on their Free To Air channel, Quest?

That would greatly increase the number of people that can watch the event! And might even lead to some people watching the sport for the first time, and discovering that they like it!

And the location of the 4th Senior GP wasn't the only thing that was confirmed today. We also got confirmation that Viaplay is indeed buying Premier Sports.

Here is a selection of stories about the announcement:

https://advanced-television.com/2022/07/21/viaplay-acquires-premier-sports/
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2022/07/21/viaplay-buys-premier-sports-hires-dazns-edward-breeze/
https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2022/07/21/viaplay-buys-premier-sports-hires-dazn-exec/
https://www.mediamole.co.uk/enterta...r-viaplay-acquires-premier-sports_490551.html
https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/premier-sports-channels-to-be-rebranded-as-viaplay-takes-over

And here is a story that has a handy list of what rights the combined company has so far:

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/how-the-viaplay-premier-sports-deal-affects-sports-rights

You know, it's a real pity that Free Sports opted to leave Freeview rather than find a slot on a different multiplex when the COM7 multiplex closed at the end of June. Because that would have been a perfect channel for Viaplay to show the figure skating on. Let's face it, a premium broadcaster with 2 linear subscription channels and lots of rights to mainstream sports like football and rugby isn't going to give over lots of hours of airtime to figure skating. But, they might be willing to do so on their Free To Air taster channel.

That is assuming that Viaplay decide to keep the third linear channel as a Free To Air taster channel. They might decide to convert it into a third subscription channel. After all, Free Sports is not on either Freeview or Freesat any more. And, as we have seen with Eurosport over the years, it is difficult to fit everything you have the rights for into just 2 linear channels.

Well, we still have one more season of the figure skating being on British Eurosport. So, everything will be clearer by the time that it affects us the following season.

CaroLiza_fan

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I will continue to call it Skate Britain in my head!!

I actually can’t believe it’s coming to the UK - I had resigned myself to never seeing an international competition live, never mind a grand prix! Beyond my wildest dreams and honestly don’t care what I need to pay for tickets. I conveniently got a friend into ice dance when worlds was on and she has agreed to come with me so I already have someone to split hotel costs with. The only thing I am sad about it that the timing with the post-olympic season means many of my favourites are retiring/unsure if continuing but there will still be some fantastic skaters!
Thrilled for Lilah and Lewis and the other home skaters. Also hoping that Piper & Paul may end up choosing there because of Carol Lane’s ties to Britain!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I will continue to call it Skate Britain in my head!!

Out of curiosity, I did a search for "Skate Britain" to see if that name had caught on anywhere apart from on here. And I think I have discovered the reason that that name wasn't used for the Senior GP:

There is a roller skate shop in Oswestry with that name.

It's a pity, but I suppose the Fed can't afford to get into a trademark dispute.

Entries for the Senior GP Series are up!

Ladies
Men
Pairs
Dance

Natasha McKay; Graham Newberry; a TBA Men's skater; Anastasia Vaipan-Law / Luke Digby; and Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson are the host picks for the Sheffield GP.

Well, I guess Corey Circelli (CAN) could also be a host pick, given that he is a Mancunian.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Out of curiosity, I did a search for "Skate Britain" to see if that name had caught on anywhere apart from on here. And I think I have discovered the reason that that name wasn't used for the Senior GP:

It's a pity, but I suppose the Fed can't afford to get into a trademark dispute.

Ladies
Men
Pairs
Dance

Natasha McKay; Graham Newberry; a TBA Men's skater; Anastasia Vaipan-Law / Luke Digby; and Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson are the host picks for the Sheffield GP.

Well, I guess Corey Circelli (CAN) could also be a host pick, given that he is a Mancunian.

CaroLiza_fan
Wonder who the TBA Men's skater will be? PJ (back from retirement)?, Ed Appleby or Freddy (from Juniors)?

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

Ladies
Men
Pairs
Dance

CaroLiza_fan
Also, who are the reserves?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wonder who the TBA Men's skater will be? PJ (back from retirement)?, Ed Appleby or Freddy (from Juniors)?

I think Ed Appleby is the likely one.

Ed was my first thought too.

It would be so fitting for PJ to come back for a swansong in a GP at his home rink. But, has he been training since announcing his retirement? It would be a big ask if he hasn't, and had to start again now. Of course, if it was just a one-off, he wouldn't necessarily need new programmes. A reprise of a couple of his old programmes would do the job.

As for Freddie Leggott, I don't think so. I can't see the Fed bringing Freddie up from Juniors and throwing him straight into a Senior GP when Ed not only has Senior experience already, but has consistently been scoring a lot higher than Freddie in Juniors.

Also, who are the reserves?

Now that's a good question.

If anybody knows, please share with us!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
PJ is currently performing in the Hot Ice Show in Blackpool. I don't know hoiw long the contract is for, but it would be great if he could comeback for the GP. No travel or Hotel costs involved.

I'm disappointed only one Pair and Dancers have been named. Would've been nice for Harry & Lydia to skate too, and a 2nd Dance couple as we 're hosts. We still don't know if Phebe & James have moved up to Senior?

This is a wonderful film of Ashlie Slatter & Atl Ongay-Perez, icedancers, newly moved up to Junior this season, though still young at 13 & 15, who train at Streatham with the Towler Green team. Beautifully produced by The Ice Capture.💕🥰😎

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
PJ is currently performing in the Hot Ice Show in Blackpool. I don't know hoiw long the contract is for, but it would be great if he could comeback for the GP. No travel or Hotel costs involved.

I'm disappointed only one Pair and Dancers have been named. Would've been nice for Harry & Lydia to skate too, and a 2nd Dance couple as we 're hosts. We still don't know if Phebe & James have moved up to Senior?

This is a wonderful film of Ashlie Slatter & Atl Ongay-Perez, icedancers, newly moved up to Junior this season, though still young at 13 & 15, who train at Streatham with the Towler Green team. Beautifully produced by The Ice Capture.💕🥰😎

Atl sent that to me earlier. I must watch it! I'm looking forward to the day he and Ashlie are doing the GPs, etc...

Speaking of which, I've booked accommodation! Which is possibly a bit mad, considering it's being organised by BIS and I don't yet have tickets. :oops:

Reactions: DSQ

alexikeguchi

Rinkside

They are awesome! I don't know if it's just me, but Ashlie looks so much like Maisie Williams at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.