Country
United-Kingdom
Reactions: DSQ

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
o_O :hap10::rock:

About time! And spread across all Skating sports. Whereas Curling & Skeleton got £10M each at the last Olympic cycle. But it's better than nowt. However if you asked the public who buy Lottery tickets if they would like to see Figure & Ice Dance properly funded in Britain? YES!🙏
It’s less that Skating got in 2014-2018 where afaik they got £1.8M.

The fact is I bet if you asked the public they’d much rather fund Skating than Skeleton but I understand why they get the support they do.

icetug

Medalist

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm disappointed only one Pair and Dancers have been named. Would've been nice for Harry & Lydia to skate too, and a 2nd Dance couple as we 're hosts.
Yes, me too - it seems like a missed opportunity, especially when we have host picks available.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Romford skaters, including Ed Appleby, spent a week in Champery for a summer camp; Ghislaine Briand from TCC was one of the coaches:
Thanks for the link. How TALL is Ed Appleby now! Ted wasn't wrong!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
3 per discipline; so 3 men singles, 3 women singles, 3 pairs, 3 ice dance.
True, but: The minimum total score is 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 and are as follows: Women: 139.90, Men: 192.53, Pairs: 136.55, Ice Dance: 132.70.

this score is not mandatory for host picks, but is strongly encouraged by the ISU. If I were BIS, I'd be looking to make a good impression. It wouldn't look too good to have skaters not of the expected level within the competitions, and reflect poorly on a future international bid.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
True, but: The minimum total score is 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 and are as follows: Women: 139.90, Men: 192.53, Pairs: 136.55, Ice Dance: 132.70.

this score is not mandatory for host picks, but is strongly encouraged by the ISU. If I were BIS, I'd be looking to make a good impression. It wouldn't look too good to have skaters not of theThat only expected level within the competitions, and reflect poorly on a future international bid.
When we went to Skate Canada, a Canadian was last in the SP in 3 of the four disciplines. I kind of expected that (or even 4 out of 4), as they had 3 Canadian entries per discipline. It's only really embarassing if the last place person trails badly behind the person ahead of them. That only happened in the women, where the Canadian women were in the last three spots.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just found out that the provisional entry lists for the first Junior GP, in Courchevel, have been released.

https://results.isu.org/events/fsevent00113495.htm

And in what must be a first, Ireland is represented in ALL categories!!! :jaw: (There is no Pairs category at this Junior GP).

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

• Robyn Foster in Ladies
  • Dillon Judge in Men
  • Laura and Kevin Hegarty in Ice Dance

Due to join them from the British team are:

• Lowenna Prigg in Ladies
  • Connor Bray in Men
  • Sophia Bushell / Alex Lapsky in Ice Dance

Of all these skaters, only Dillon and Sophia / Alex have done any Junior GP's before. The rest will be making their debut.

There are also substitutes listed for the British skaters. But, we'll come to them if and when they are needed.

If I've missed any other skaters that are originally from the British Isles, or who are based here, I apologise. As often happens with Junior GP's, a lot of the skaters have ISU Bios that are either not complete, or not created yet! :drama:

:cheer: ALL THE BEST TO THEM ALL!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
is still down for the JGP as he is listed as a substitute in JGP Courchevel. You can’t do both JGP and GP in the same season.

That makes Elliot Thompson the next senior eligible skater with a PB Phebe & James are focusing on Juniors this season, hoping to make a JGP Podium, but later in the season seeing what their options are as 2 spots available for Euros & Worlds.
Phebe & James are focusing on Juniors this season too.

New interview with Mark Hanretty

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Is that the case? o_O :( Is that a new rule brought in? I ask because that'll scupper alot of skaters' plans. Phebe & James are focusing on Juniors this season, hoping to make a JGP Podium, but later in the season seeing what their options are as 2 spots available for Euros & Worlds. A shame if that tried and trusted path is no longer available to them. :(
You can combine junior and senior level competitions pretty freely (i.e. do JGP/GP + Euros + Jr & Sr Worlds), but you can't do both JGP and GP in the same season. I think this rule has been in place for a while now, if not even since the start of the JGP. 🤔 Or does anyone know of a skater that did both in the same season?

Also, entries for JGP Czech Skate are out:
No Singles entries for either Ireland or Great Britain. One British pair and one British Ice Dance couple:
Lucy HAY / Kyle MCLEOD (Reigning Advanced Novice Champions in Pairs) and of course Phebe BEKKER / James HERNANDEZ (Reigning Junior Champs in Ice Dance). ☺️

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You can combine junior and senior level competitions pretty freely (i.e. do JGP/GP + Euros + Jr & Sr Worlds), but you can't do both JGP and GP in the same season. I think this rule has been in place for a while now, if not even since the start of the JGP. 🤔 Or does anyone know of a skater that did both in the same season?

Also, entries for JGP Czech Skate are out:
No Singles entries for either Ireland or Great Britain. One British pair and one British Ice Dance couple:
Lucy HAY / Kyle MCLEOD (Reigning Advanced Novice Champions in Pairs) and of course Phebe BEKKER / James HERNANDEZ (Reigning Junior Champs in Ice Dance). ☺️
Thanks, yes, I was having a brain fog attack and edited my post. I thought DSQ meant you couldn't compete in Junior & Senior in the same season anymore, not the JGP & GP. 😨

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Also Joseph Booth, who used to skate with Ambre, a powerhouse with knee bend like the Czech icedancer who skates with her brother in Seniors, now with a new partner, is English, with English parents but growing up in France. But we still support him too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.