Caroline Zhang Article | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang Article

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Actually it's one LESS person bugging them, when it comes to making the Olympic team.

You realize Sarah Hughes placed third at 2002 Nationals, without 3 spots, she would not have been going to Salt Lake, and there would have been no Olympic Gold.

Yes, Michelle would have gotten it. :)

kyla2

Final Flight
Caroline

Caroline has improved tremedously and pound for pound she is our best skater right now. Her spins, laybacks, and spirals are gorgeous. Her presentation is lovely. She is emminently watchable. The leg kick and the slowness seem to have improved. I love Alissa for the same reasons but she has to show some consistency. Rachel is wonderful also and if she improves her presentation, she is right up there too. I watched 4CC today and was really impressed with Joannie Rochette. Talk about improvement.

iceminx

On the Ice
I think Alissa AND Caroline should go to Worlds. Alissa is a beautiful skater with the obstacle of not being consistant or always performing her best. Kurt Browning even said seasons ago that if she could keep it together, she is talent-wise, a world championship skater. Look at Meisner. In a season where everyone had either retired or was too young to compete(yuna,mao), she slipped in and won. Mirai Nagasu :agree: was national champion last season and this season struggled...

herios

Medalist
Nakano and Suzuki, as far as I know. It's not that impossible, if someone has a wobbly edge for this jump type in general. But since the Flip edge warning only happened to Zhang at Nationals and never at an international event - perhaps the edge-caller forgot his glasses....

Well...I don't know. I just rewatched on youtube Caroline's LP at 4CC, her best performance of the year and the reality is she has a wobbly edge going into both her flip and lutz flipping back and forth 3 times. That is clearly insecure and i can see a reason to convince a caller to nail her, because of a lack of a firm edge.
As far as her improved speed, you guys should take off your rosy glasses, she still skates like through molasses. The judges have a good reason to give her those discounted PCS scores. Wait her to grow up some more, she is only 15, plenty of time ahead of her.

Sure they want to get three spots for the Olympics. The spot they save may be their own!
And it may also go to Ashley, Mirai and Caroline. Why not?

Czisny and Flatt want to skate their best regardless of the 13 points. Trust me. They are competitive skaters.

Nakano and Suzuki, as far as I know. It's not that impossible, if someone has a wobbly edge for this jump type in general. But since the Flip edge warning only happened to Zhang at Nationals and never at an international event - perhaps the edge-caller forgot his glasses....
And I thought you were among the fans who never find fault with the judges. :cool:

From what I gathered on this Board when I get bothered with wrong edge takeoffs, is that the most important things a jump must have are the Air Turns and the Less than 45 degree landing. So what's with wobbly edge, if it fulfills the 2 part standard of the jump?

Trust me.

I do trust you, Joe.

But stilll...there is a little part of my mind that says a skater has a better shot at making the Olympic team if there are three spots available than if there are only two. And in my mind's inner ear I keep hearing Alissa and Rachael singing, about that third spot...

"I hope we get it!
Oh gosh I hope we get it!

How many people can we send.
how many girls, how many boys,

We...really need....those...spots!" ♫ ♪

I do trust you, Joe.

But stilll...there is a little part of my mind that says a skater has a better shot at making the Olympic team if there are three spots available than if there are only two. And in my mind's inner ear I keep hearing Alissa and Rachael singing, about that third spot...

"I hope we get it!
Oh gosh I hope we get it!

How many people can we send.
how many girls, how many boys,

We...really need....those...spots!" ♫ ♪
Isn't that like ♫he killed your brother?♫

But it/s in your inner ear. Al and Ray are skating for themselves and have enough to think about, like impressing the judges for future comps. If they help in getting 3 places, that's ok for the USFS' prestige.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
By the way I see a beautiful 3A-3T (or maybe not?) executed behind Caroline at around 1:06 on this video by a guy in black and red stripe shirt, I wonder if he is anyone who we know is at the national or the international level.
I don't know for sure, but my guess is Slovakia's Igor Matsipura who trains at the rink in Artesia. Sorry for the OT. :p

I don't know for sure, but my guess is Slovakia's Igor Matsipura who trains at the rink in Artesia. Sorry for the OT. :p

I think your OT is a lot more interesting to GS readers than Joe and I arguing about exactly why Al and Ray want to do well at Worlds. :laugh:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I am certain Rachael and Alissa want to do well at Worlds, and I think they will. Yes, they do want 3 spots next year to maximize their chances of making the Olympic/World team. But I think it's more than that. They now have something to prove ....... to the international judges, the USFSA, their fans and themselves. They simply CANNOT feel good about having their butts mule-kicked at 4CC. So I think they will skate with a vengeance. They simply MUST succeed. :rock:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
From what I gathered on this Board when I get bothered with wrong edge takeoffs, is that the most important things a jump must have are the Air Turns and the Less than 45 degree landing. So what's with wobbly edge, if it fulfills the 2 part standard of the jump?

The take-off edge of any give jumps is part of what makes that jump what it is. A lutz is a lutz because it takes off from a back outside edge counter to the direction in turns in the air. If it is on an inside edge then it is a flip. If it wobbles then that shows that you do not have the control to properly execute the jump. Read the rules for judging, Each jump is broken into four parts, and the take-off is one of them. So a wobbly edge IS a problem. And Caroline has really wobbly edges on both the flip and lutz, showing a major lack of control and an inability to fully execute either jump in the correct fashion. I think she's just been very gifted by callers not penalizing her more frequently for both jumps.

The take-off edge of any give jumps is part of what makes that jump what it is. A lutz is a lutz because it takes off from a back outside edge counter to the direction in turns in the air. If it is on an inside edge then it is a flip. If it wobbles then that shows that you do not have the control to properly execute the jump. Read the rules for judging, Each jump is broken into four parts, and the take-off is one of them. So a wobbly edge IS a problem. And Caroline has really wobbly edges on both the flip and lutz, showing a major lack of control and an inability to fully execute either jump in the correct fashion. I think she's just been very gifted by callers not penalizing her more frequently for both jumps.
Thank you very much for your first three sentences. I would also add, it gives the jump a name.

Ah, of course, a wobble is a 'loss of control'. Some call it a Wrong Edge Takeoff, but you are correct, it is a loss of control.

As for Caroline, I will look more closely since I do like her skating I am apt to ignore faults. The penalty for wobbling has been established as a -1 which is just a wrist slap unless it occurs in a tight duo of skaters.

mskater93

Record Breaker
How can you miss the wobble of edge going into both the flip and Lutz? Sheesh, it's like she does power pulls after she turns backwards going into each...:cool:

LeCygne

Final Flight
My impression was always that the edge at TAKE-OFF had to be correct. That doesn't include the preparation time for the jump.