China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The mostly empty stands at 2018 4CC would lead me to be against Taiwan.

Though it’s mostly academic, as I doubt the Koreans will refuse, given how big skating is there.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The mostly empty stands at 2018 4CC would lead me to be against Taiwan.

Though it’s mostly academic, as I doubt the Koreans will refuse, given how big skating is there.

For such an 'empty' event the fans who were there sure made some noise. You'll be pressed to find such an enthusiastic audience at even Grand Prix events. It was ace!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The prospective Korean (or in any case not Chinese) event presents a unique opportunity for competitors to gain novelty medals and tie (or be in the running to tie, anyway) a currently solo statistic: Shen/Zhao are the only competitors to win seven Grand Prix events (not counting the Final, obviously), as they won the pairs gold at the now-discontinued German Grand Prix and all six of the current standing events.

Heh, maybe Aliona is calling up Bruno urgently to un-indefinite-break.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The prospective Korean (or in any case not Chinese) event presents a unique opportunity for competitors to gain novelty medals and tie (or be in the running to tie, anyway) a currently solo statistic: Shen/Zhao are the only competitors to win seven Grand Prix events (not counting the Final, obviously), as they won the pairs gold at the now-discontinued German Grand Prix and all six of the current standing events.

See all of them flock to the GP as moths to the flame! :popcorn:

bestolen

Rinkside
Someone told me Chinese against ISU because Chinese athletes were treat unfairly in PyeongChang.
Their conflicts is because of short track, not figure skating.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I doubt they’d be picking a quarrel over that now, even if they felt hard done by, given their focus on doing well in 2022.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I doubt they’d be picking a quarrel over that now, even if they felt hard done by, given their focus on doing well in 2022.

I agree, I find that simply a stupid move to anger the ISU. Tactically it doesn't make sense. I worry for their skaters. Politics shouldn't matter, but we all know that's a pipe dream.

icybear

Medalist
Someone told me Chinese against ISU because Chinese athletes were treat unfairly in PyeongChang.

I doubt that is the reason. ISU isn't going to lose out on revenue because they will just find a replacement. But their skaters will lose out on home support.

The only thing that makes me concerned for the skaters is the ISU's love for money, which the CSA isn't bringing them this year. Jin and S/H are going to get two GPs without a real doubt.

Spinning

On the Ice

There are more into the behind the scene. Asian figure skating politic has been cruel toward Chinese in the past years. Small feds siding up with Korean or Japan is not sitting well in their favours. Moving ASU(Asian Skating Union) HQ from Hong Kong to Seoul was a seed of all evils.

I feel bad for Chinese skaters and fans. Cup of China has been one of my highlight of the years.

Andrea82

Medalist
a Chinese judge was singled out recently.

I think it's 2 Chinese judges who were under investigation. The slide shown last week during Disciplinary Commission report to Congress indicated "Chen" and "Huang" as the two cases pending (and whose decision was expected to be taken in Seville).
Chen and Huang are the surnames of the Chinese judges in Men and Pairs event at Olympics. The slides didn't indicate the first names, so I am not 100% sure it's them but it is possible it is them.

irriya

On the Ice
it's not just skating event. it's said some of snow sport events also got cancelled. I don't like this. Nothing can be solved by threatening.

If it's snow sports as well, then it's likely someone else directing the CSA, right? Does the ISU deal with snow sports?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ermmm... i doubt it has to do with short track .... the Chinese team in PC wasn't as great as a few games ago..... and Koreans, Americans,Canadians, everybody got calls against their stars... I do not remember noticing a Chinese athlete had been shortchanged... I am worried with this. Usually before big games (2022) hosting countries WANT to have events at home. Very worrying.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I wonder if the KOR event turns out to be a success then they will like the taste of it and would want to keep hosting. It could probably mean a 7 event circuit for next seasons once CHN stops their tantrum.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I would love it if Barcelona got a GP event as well, but I would much prefer if Barcelona just got a long string of GPFs to host. The events hosted in Barcelona was simply incredible.