Complete triple jumps for ladies minus the 3A | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Complete triple jumps for ladies minus the 3A

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Interesting the OP thought that Slutskaya's worst jump was the 3toe, because I thought it was her STRONGEST jump in terms of straightness in the air and run out and consistency. Kwan always had trouble with the loop though from her earliest days.

Johnny Weir flutzed????? I thought it was one of his strongest jumps. If anything Weir lipped.

Rochette was a favorite because all her jumps were correct and powerful.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Queen Midori Ito and Tonya Harding. :bow:

Currently only Liza!!

I am betting on Wakaba if she can fix her lip in the future. She is just 13 after all.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think there should be a bonus for 5 different triples in the LP. Maybe +5 to the overall score if you land all 5 different triples. Force the ladies to master all different type of triples rather than the same jumps again and again.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think there should be a bonus for 5 different triples in the LP. Maybe +5 to the overall score if you land all 5 different triples. Force the ladies to master all different type of triples rather than the same jumps again and again.

That, or just make it a rule that you must complete all the different jumps, even if it is just a double. You lose a jumping pass basically but would force you to get all the different takeoffs.

AprilS

On the Ice
That, or just make it a rule that you must complete all the different jumps, even if it is just a double. You lose a jumping pass basically but would force you to get all the different takeoffs.

I like this idea! It would also make the Zayak rule redundant, which is an added bonus :agree:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Johnny Weir flutzed????? I thought it was one of his strongest jumps. If anything Weir lipped.
I remember he got "e" for his LP in Vancouver. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, and it was e for his flip...? But he got some kind of e, so he definitely didn't have all his edges correct. My point was simply that several prominent male skaters also had edge issues.

jkun

Final Flight
I don't know whether this is the place to discuss this... but I was re-watching programs of my favorites because I was being slightly nostalgic after watching this season's performances... I started from Yulia's new programs to her olympics programs, to Mao's olympic programs, to a few of Carolina's, and then finally Yuna's. I noticed a big difference in technique with jumps using the toe pick.

To me, it looks like Yulia and Mao have a lot of pre-rotation on flips and lutz (granted they can't really do them, but this reason may contribute to why) off of their toe pick. They are basically facing forward when they actually leave the ice. In comparison, Carolina and Yuna, who I think are probably the strongest female toe jumpers, leave the ice almost immediately following planting the toe into the ice. They do maybe, at most 1/8-1/4 of a rotation, on the ice, which I think helps get them off the ice faster, which probably helps avoid a change in edge. Carolina and Yuna also jump considerably higher than Yulia and Mao and don't rely as heavily on rotational speed, I think.

Please let me know your opinions! Just an observation I had rewatching some grand grand programs. I miss Mao, Carolina, and Yuna!! :bow:

ks777

Record Breaker
Malinina had all 5 different triples. I always thought she was one of the best in terms of jump quality.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Interesting the OP thought that Slutskaya's worst jump was the 3toe, because I thought it was her STRONGEST jump in terms of straightness in the air and run out and consistency.

I can't recall Irina ever missing the 3T, I'm sure it happened but I can remember more errors on the 3Lz, 3F and even 3Lo than her 3T.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Love this idea :yes: I'm very against (most of) the endless amount of restrictions in skating regarding jumps, but this is a practical one I'd like to see.

DexterK

On the Ice
If I am remembering correctly, Johnny received an "e " on the flip in both his sp and lp. I'm also recalling him placing the flip as his first jump in the lp and noticeably giving the appearance of "look here judges, I am gonna switch to the inside edge in just a second...y'all watch!" and then still going to outside edge. Again, I could be wrong.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Korpi I don't think you could ever consider her with a full arsenal or she would have won more medals. A fluke skate isn't really have a full arsenal of triples. She was / is a l ovely skater though and of course being attractive doesn't hurt her scores. :)

tommyk75

Rinkside
Just a curious question. It seems to be rare for any lady skaters to have the full triple arsenal excepting the 3A. By full arsenal, I mean being able to rotate and land the 3T, 3S, 3R, 3F n 3Lz without edge issues are UR. At present, I can think of only Tuktamysheva and perhaps Radionova who can do them. Why is the edge issue on lutz so much of an issue? In contrast, male skaters tend to have more flip problems. I realize it is actually very rare for a lady to have all 5 triples without significant edge or UR issues.

Complete triple jump ladies: Caro Kostner, Maria Butyrskaya, Yuna Kim (b4 she stopped doing 3R)
Near complete: Kwan + Slutskaya (3Lz!). Ironically, Kwan's strongest jump 3T will be Slutskaya's worst and Slutskaya's favorite 3R will be Kwan's wonkiest.
Queen of jumps: Midori Ito, Tonya Harding - they had everything including 3A! Not much of edge issues I think.

Jumper only - Bonaly (her edges dun exist outside jumps)

Wrong edges: Chronic Flutzers (Cohen, Suguri, Asada, Wagner, Osmond, too many others), occasional Flutzers (Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia, Nagasu), chronic lippers (Arakawa, Ando, Gold), occasional lippers (Edmunds, Pogo).

One nemesis jump: Lipnitskaia (recently 3S), Yuna Kim (3R), Yamaguchi (chronic salchow joke), Asada (3Lz never ever achieved).

Any others you are aware? Am most interested in understanding why the edge n jump issues are far more frequent in ladies than in men.

I find Michelle Kwan's relationship with the loop to be rather interesting. I remember hearing that she didn't like doing it in the beginning of her career. But then it seemed to settle down, and she actually chose to perform it twice in her '97-'98 season, doing both loops well both at the Nationals and the Olympics. But then at the end of the career, with her hip problems coming into play, she started getting them done and over with at the beginning of her programs (they also seemed smaller and less impressive than before) before taking them out altogether.

Overall, ladies with more muscular legs (Ito, Harding, Slutskaya) seemed to handle the triple loop better, although Asada and Lipinski did them well with Bambie-like legs, too.

thoakun

Final Flight
How about Joannie Rochette? Didn't she have all 5 triples without significant edge or UR issues?

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist
I find Michelle Kwan's relationship with the loop to be rather interesting. I remember hearing that she didn't like doing it in the beginning of her career. But then it seemed to settle down, and she actually chose to perform it twice in her '97-'98 season, doing both loops well both at the Nationals and the Olympics. But then at the end of the career, with her hip problems coming into play, she started getting them done and over with at the beginning of her programs (they also seemed smaller and less impressive than before) before taking them out altogether.

My guess is that Michelle only chose to perform the triple loop twice in her FS in the 1997-1998 season because she was competing against Tara Lipinski, who had the triple loop/triple loop combination.

pohatta

On the Ice
Korpi I don't think you could ever consider her with a full arsenal or she would have won more medals. A fluke skate isn't really have a full arsenal of triples. She was / is a l ovely skater though and of course being attractive doesn't hurt her scores. :)

A skater can have a full set of jumps and be a headcase at the same time. I mentioned Korpi because when she lands/landed her jumps, they usually have/had good edges and full rotation.