Compulsory Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Compulsory Dance

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Domnina and Shabalin should win this easily. Pechalat and Bourzat should win silver easily with a tight battle for the bronze

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Domnina and Shabalin should win this easily. Pechalat and Bourzat should win silver easily with a tight battle for the bronze

I agree. The biggest thing to see though is how much Domnina/Shabalin have improved their FD since COC. It was horrendous there and it cost them the event to Belbin/Agosto who had a wonderful FD. They even lost to Faielli/Scalli in the FD there. They must improve their FD alot by the GP final and Worlds to what it was in COC.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
DomShabs got a bad score in the FD at CoC because they made a mistake (he lifted her off the ice for a split second during a spin) and that meant their last lift didn't count---but they got incredibly high PCS scores just the same. You can bet they won't make any big mistakes at CoR and I can envision them scoring over 100 points in the FD with this panel of judges.

Excessive head flinging and somewhat sloppy skating doesn't seem to affect their marks in the slightest.

RDiva

Rinkside
Of course they will win this easily, but thats not the point..The point is their ridicolous high score...And i most deffinately desagree Dom/S being the best ice dancers right now...

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Of course they will win this easily, but thats not the point..The point is their ridicolous high score...And i most deffinately desagree Dom/S being the best ice dancers right now...

I know. Their scores are to high I put Belbin and Agosto and Virtue and Moir as the best Ice Dancers right now

RDiva

Rinkside
Of course they will win this easily, but thats not the point..The point is their ridiculous high score...And i most deffinately desagree Dom/S being the best ice dancers right now...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
DomShabs got a bad score in the FD at CoC because they made a mistake (he lifted her off the ice for a split second during a spin) and that meant their last lift didn't count---but they got incredibly high PCS scores just the same. You can bet they won't make any big mistakes at CoR and I can envision them scoring over 100 points in the FD with this panel of judges.

Excessive head flinging and somewhat sloppy skating doesn't seem to affect their marks in the slightest.

They didnt even score 90 in their COC FD IIRC. Yeah they got generous PCS for that performance, but even the judges could not save them on the TES. They had low scores for other reasons then you mentioned, only half of their elements were level 4, the other half averaged level 2. They still have alot of work to do on their FD based on their first event.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They didnt even score 90 in their COC FD IIRC. Yeah they got generous PCS for that performance, but even the judges could not save them on the TES. They had low scores for other reasons then you mentioned, only half of their elements were level 4, the other half averaged level 2. They still have alot of work to do on their FD based on their first event.

This competition is in Russia with a friendly panel of judges. They will be scored MUCH higher than they were at CoC. You will not see a "That's Entertainment" type score for DomShabs.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Well, D/S did got home court adavntage BUT they were so visibly in whole different universe compared to the rest that I am not surprised at the score.
I think this is the best execution of CD, I have seen from any team this year. Anyway, FD is the only one that really matters even though they should have no problem winning it. The did have problems with it at CoC though.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
OK then. I did the same.

Well, D/S did got home court adavntage BUT they were so visibly in whole different universe compared to the rest that I am not surprised at the score.
I think this is the best execution of CD, I have seen from any team this year. Anyway, FD is the only one that really matters even though they should have no problem winning it. The did have problems with it at CoC though.

I thought they were very good and precise. I don't know what score would have made everybody happy though. More interested in how V/M will score.

Last edited by a moderator:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
After finally watching the CD:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4xu4phn7Rdg

I've come to an even better understanding of how much weaker Max is than Oksana (and he is much more likable because of expression).

I compared it to other good performances of the same compulsory dance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3KFEKyjbzZ4 (Anissina/Peizerat)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=r7BzYhbJ9KQ (Virtue/Moir)

I have two problems with D/S breaking 40-

*They lack speed
*Max is often caught on two feet!

This reminds me of that moment at the 98 Olympics when Pasha and Platov made an obvious mistake during the compulsory dance, but the judges "didn't see" it happen. Max Shabalin has moments where he's on two feet, and their lines DO NOT match. In a compulsory dance like this (I hate this dance--it's too polka-y), the lines must be identical and precise. Oftentimes, her leg line when they lift their leg is much higher than his. They are definitely not as fast as Virtue/Moir, whom I think did a better job with the dance than even A/P (but A/P were better than D/S).

The choctaw turns were also messier than the other two teams! Of course, Oksana attributed that (in the interview) to being the last team in the CD, and that the ice had not been resurfaced.

Oksana was leading him during the dance. It's like at the prom, where the girl knows how to dance, so she leads the boy around the ballroom.

But then again, even 2nd place weren't as clean as they could have been, but they were cleaner than D/S:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qHoiyjY1Dk0

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
awwww I love Yankee Polka... even after sitting through the US nats in 06 :laugh:

Last edited: