Medalist
Country
United-States
I vote for same cut, but in deep red/burgundy for next year's SD :points:

and some recent costume faves:

- new Maia Shibutani FD dress with added sparkles
- Isabella Tobias SD catsuit and FD dress
- Wenjing Sui SP dress:love:
- Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres costumes - French skaters have their tricks to pull of everything in stylish/sophisticated way, and Vanessa sure knows how to work out to work out those catsuits :laugh:
- Mai Mihara FS dress - a lovely shade of green, but I'd love to see her in purple (I have a feeling she would look stunning!)
- Madison Chock new FD dress
- Gabielle Daleman SP dress - :bow:, just too much fabulousness!
- Nathan Chen FS costume - so well going with 'Prince Igor' and red is his colour
- Jason Brown new SP costume from 4CC - wow, what a dapper, elegant costume!
- Kaitlyn Weaver FD new dress - it screams Aranjuez so loudly!
- Wakaba Higuchi FS dress - so rich and appropriate for Scheherezade
- Mirai SP dress - the spray-painted effect is amazing

Deep red .. Rhumba Perfect !!!
Love catsuits; they seem to work for everyone. Vanessa really rocked in the Free at Euros.. my favorite skate in that competition and Morgan wasn't too shabby either!! Isabelle Tobias great drama in the best possible way.... Even Madison Hubbell switched to a catsuit which I thought was stunning. She always gets dinged for her costumes and this was no exception... there were critics but I loved it.
Weaver is so elegant .. Aranjuez is a favorite classical piece - never tire of it but guitar version is best and this cut included the cadenza brilliant! She looked exquisite and the dance was beautiful..
Shibs are always flawless but I always love them in midnight blue and black ..
Discussion in the Jason Brown fanfest is speculating that his new SP jacket at 4 CC might be preview of his program next season.... ? Hamilton anyone?
I even like Maddie & Evan's EX outfits Wear Sunscreen... that yellow dress was just the right shade, simple lines... Evan and Jason could easily have swapped EX shirts!! And skating with sunglasses in a darkened arena... wow!

lappo

Final Flight
Zijun Li's dresses are always spectacular...she and her good friend Soyun should get a shared "most consistently well dressed ladies award".
Love Empress Sui SP dress, not so much in love with her LP one (but again, Chinese pairs are always more hits than miss).
Mirai SP dress is really beautiful too.
But there are so many...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I loved Chock's FD dress.
I also loved H/D's new SD costumes.

And @elbkup, it's not that difficult to skate under theatrical lights with sunglasses on, it's actually easier. W/O them the spotlights often blind you while you are skating lol!

lappo

Final Flight
Did anyone notice Anastasia Gubanova changed her SP Swan dress at Russian Cup Finals. Mao vibes for days IMO. In the good way :yes:

https://pp.vk.me/c626231/v626231016/45a14/eAF5g0O8FDk.jpg

There is one thing that makes me not appreciate a costume, even if the design and colour(s) are beautiful...mismatched illusion fabric? Why??? I understand that she is so young that they probably don't even want to fake that some of her parts are naked but then don't even use illusion fabric at all, go for something else. Seriously, people should get a lesson from whoever does Tessa Virtue's costumes on this topic!!!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
There is one thing that makes me not appreciate a costume, even if the design and colour(s) are beautiful...mismatched illusion fabric? Why??? I understand that she is so young that they probably don't even want to fake that some of her parts are naked but then don't even use illusion fabric at all, go for something else. Seriously, people should get a lesson from whoever does Tessa Virtue's costumes on this topic!!!

oh yes - Tessa's dresses this season for FD, having all those cutouts, are done so tastefully and evenly regarding illusion fabric! From distance, it's almost impossible to tell that the material is put with illusion! Another excellent example of using matching illusion is new FD dress of Kaitlyn Weaver - since Nationals, I thought that it was an actual solo golden top, without illusion and at 4CC in close-up I just saw that it is put on an illusion fabric, the match with her skin tone is beyond amazing!

Barb

Record Breaker

Maybe it is difficult to find your tone, seniors have more experience and I guess they go with better or more prestigious designers, instead, this girls do not know what their color/tone is yet and probably they don´t have the best help.

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
Maybe it is difficult to find your tone, seniors have more experience and I guess they go with better or more prestigious designers, instead, this girls do not know what their color/tone is yet and probably they don´t have the best help.

This is not the case: if you watch her other dress this season and her past dresses you'll see that the illusion fabric matched very well her skin tone. Plus, Anastasia is really one of the best dressed juniors (love her red one last season, she reminds me of Sasha Cohen in 2006) so I really think this was a deliberate choice to try and make her not to seem too much naked.

And mismatched illusion do not happen just to people who don't have resourches or wealth (in which case I'm more lenient); just to make a notorious example, Mao has had many well matched costumes as well as many dreadfully mismatched one in her senior career (not only at the beginning) and she supposedly is one of the richest skaters out there.

Last edited:

petitebrie

On the Ice
I'm on the Daleman-train here and absolutely loving her bedazzled-cobra-boob-dress. When the season is over I hope she'll let me borrow it, I think we're about the same size. :laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm on the Daleman-train here and absolutely loving her bedazzled-cobra-boob-dress. When the season is over I hope she'll let me borrow it, I think we're about the same size. :laugh:

:laugh:, the top of that dress is really spectacular and overall styling Gabrielle presents in SP is just exquisite to watch, she sure knows how to highlight her beauty features by make-up!!!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
My very favorite costumes of the season were from the FD at St. Gervais JGP.
Russians Sofia Polishchuk and Alexander Vakhnov skated a beautiful Romeo & Juliet .... Both costumes were perfectly matched, age appropriate and flawlessly done. Her dress floated.. just lovely, again, a very pale yellow (such a difficult color but soft and subtle if done correctly). Alex was the quintessential Romeo in dark pants, embroidered satin vest in pale bleu\lavender, with cream mesh poet shirt sleeves. They looked so fresh and young, just as the characters they portrayed ..... I love love love the stationery lift. It broke my heart that the arena seats were empty but they skated with abandon and conviction nonetheless. They remained somewhat in character even after the program ended. Ones to watch I'll wager!!

I posted the video elsewhere early in the season and am putting it again here for those who are interested in Juniors too.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zn6fkPl8A

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
My very favorite costumes of the season were from the FD at St. Gervais JGP.
Russians Sofia Polishchuk and Alexander Vakhnov skated a beautiful Romeo & Juliet .... Both costumes were perfectly matched, age appropriate and flawlessly done. Her dress floated.. just lovely, again, a very pale yellow (such a difficult color but soft and subtle if done correctly). Alex was the quintessential Romeo in dark pants, embroidered satin vest in pale bleu\lavender, with cream mesh poet shirt sleeves. They looked so fresh and young, just as the characters they portrayed ..... I love love love the stationery lift. It broke my heart that the arena seats were empty but they skated with abandon and conviction nonetheless. They remained somewhat in character even after the program ended. Ones to watch I'll wager!!

I posted the video elsewhere early in the season and am putting it again here for those who are interested in Juniors too.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zn6fkPl8A

lovely costumes indeed! So age appropriate, fresh and in character. Pale yellow is not so obvious choice regarding dress, but it looks so dreamy and princess-like :love:, and the match between pale yellow and lavender/purplish shade of Alexander's costume surprisingly works together.

As for R&J costumes I loved Hawayek/Baker's ones few seasons ago, her dress was so beautiful, with those beaded cap sleeves!:

http://www.absoluteskating.com/reports/2014nhk/Kaitlin HAWAYEK and Jean-Luc BAKER_6427.JPG

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
-Both of Soyoun's SP and LP dresses
-Young's Black Swan LP dress
-Zijun's SP dress
-Yulia's SP dress
-both of Liza N.'s SP and LP dress

sallycinnamon

Medalist

Crossover

All Hail the Queen