Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes

treblemakerem

On the Ice
It's probably been mentioned already, but every Korean female skater I've seen so far this season has had a georgous costume, junior and senior. I forget now who it was but there was one girl where my brain was just going omg so pretty on a loop and I totally missed the beginning of her skate.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
It's probably been mentioned already, but every Korean female skater I've seen so far this season has had a georgous costume, junior and senior. I forget now who it was but there was one girl where my brain was just going omg so pretty on a loop and I totally missed the beginning of her skate.

^ me watching Yelim Kim's long program and Eunsoo's short for the first time.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
i don’t know if she’s been mentioned yet but: Maria Sotskova.

her SP dress during the 2016-17 season, the one with the butterfly, was exquisite and it fit her so well. the FS was really nice too, I especially liked how float it was.

last season (2017-18) she had some of the most gorgeous FS dresses I have seen (the purple on at Finlandia, SC and IdF and the grey one for GPF, EC, OLY and WC). not only that she SP dress was really nice too, with bracelet cuffs and a really nice kind of look to the skirt.

the FS dress at JO was quite nice too. I’m excited to see what she will bring for the Santana program.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada

All the Korean girls' costumes this season have been ON POINT.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I admit that I totally miss the CAMP EXTRAVAGANZA of 80s/90s costuming. Particularly the folk dance events in ID. One of the only things that could give the Miss Universe "Parade of Nations" costumes a serious run for their TACKY MONEY!!!!!!

:drama:

moriel

Record Breaker
i don’t know if she’s been mentioned yet but: Maria Sotskova.

her SP dress during the 2016-17 season, the one with the butterfly, was exquisite and it fit her so well. the FS was really nice too, I especially liked how float it was.

last season (2017-18) she had some of the most gorgeous FS dresses I have seen (the purple on at Finlandia, SC and IdF and the grey one for GPF, EC, OLY and WC). not only that she SP dress was really nice too, with bracelet cuffs and a really nice kind of look to the skirt.

the FS dress at JO was quite nice too. I’m excited to see what she will bring for the Santana program.

the best thing is that her dresses are made by her own mom

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
In pairs, Tarasova and Morozov are the leaders of bad fashion taste.

In ice dance, I remember that many costumes of Rahkamo/Kokko (I'm not sure of the spelling) from Finland reminded me the beggars' clothes. They were very unique as for the skating style and the clothes. I suppose in the 90s they were considered wierd and quirky, adjectives nowadays usually used to describe Piper and Paul.

OniBan

Final Flight
I personally think Akiko Suzuki had always been impeccably and tastefully costumed during her competitive career -'O' peacock dress is an all time favourite, her more contemporary (and dare I say punk?) Kill Bill dress is fantastic and this is so elegant and detailed :http://www.asahi.com/sports/gallery/2013nhkhai/4_6.html

Consistently bad costumes - for some reason Miki Ando comes to mind. She's had occasions where her costumes weren't too bad at all, but the awful ones are pretty darn terrible (like the various incarnations of Cleopatra costumes) that it drove the good ones out of my head T_T

Shoma Uno had a lot of pretty awful costumes as a junior, but his senior outfits are some of the best in the men's field (i.e the gorgeous and iconic Loco costume, Purple Winter, richly embellished Blurandot, and the understated beauty that is his current teal Moonlight Sonata costume).

Yuna, too had pretty bad costumes as a junior and a couple misses as senior (the diagonal slash/mesh confusion that was her first Miss Saigon outfit!) but starting 2008-2009 season onwards her costumes had been pretty darn gorgeous every single time. I particularly covet her Kiss of the Vampire blue dress, and the severely underused Homage to Korea dress - that one is a beauty!

Henni147

Final Flight
the one thing we have to give Yuzu is that no matter how outre and idiosyncratic his outfits are, they (nearly) always fit carefully into the program, and he so is totally, beautifully unselfconscious and comfortable wearing them (even requiem and Notte Stellata)..
What I like most about Yuzu's costumes: he sticks to them. There are little adjustments like the gloves in Otonal, but he doesn't change the entire costume during the season as some other skaters do. (Only exceptions: The POTO change after his COC crash and the switch from invisible white to purple in LGC, which were both legit...) So the costume is an identity feature of his programs, which is great.

Second big plus of his costumes: they're made for him and pretty much unwearable for others, so he can strike out. They can look sensational or horrible on the clothes rack, but on the ice Yuzu makes them all work.

#Footnote: I really love both of his new costumes, Otonal and Origin. The dark thin transparent gloves work sooooo well here.
Black/gold Origin with the handmade feathers is probably my favorite Yuzu costume so far. Really badass, majestic and cool.

RobinA

On the Ice
Eeeeeek. :shocked: I’d forgotten about that one. At least it was just an ex.

Although tbh, I’ve always really hated the 2013 GPF version of her Rach 2 costume; I’m glad she went back to the feathers. http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Mao+Asada/ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+2013+2014+NHK/JV9jNnetDI7

Yuna Kim also gets my vote for consistently gorgeous costumes. Michelle Kwan had mostly great costumes, but a few were kind of boring. I tend to like Ashley’s and Javi’s, but I respectively hated her 2017-18 SP dress and his 2014-2015 FS costume. Sasha Cohen also had great costumes but I have never liked her Carmen dress from 2002.

Jason Brown has never had a costume that I liked.

Funny, I should hate the costume but I don't. My issue there is it doesn't fit the music.

I quoted the wrong message there, my comment refers to the Mao Asada exhibition dress.

RobinA

On the Ice
I would say Jill Trenary, Katia Gordeeva, Michelle Kwan, Nancy Kerrigan, Tessa Virtue, Nicole Bobek and Meryl Davis consistently had nice dresses at least for their time. I might add from what I have seen Debi Thomas and Karyn Kadavy

Trenary's costumes were the first that I really, really loved.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Yuna always had amazing dresses. There is none I would call ugly. Also all of Alina Zagitova's dresses the last and this season are in my opinion really beautiful. Satoko Miyahara and Rika Kihira also always have wonderful dresses due to having the same custome designer.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
consistently good costumes:

Maya Usova

Kiira Korpi

Ashley Wagner

Maria Butyrskaya

Michal Brezina

Country
Norway
I find that Alexander Majorov often has very bad taste in costume choice.

He seems to fancy skinpants and shirts with ugly stripes.

For example this one: http://www.epa.eu/sports-photos/figure-skating-photos/isu-european-figure-skating-championships-photos-54934823/
I really don´t like the stripes.

And of course, the skin panties: https://no.pinterest.com/pin/209558188896737714/

I also found that his Gala-costume, with the big yellow oversized dress, making him look like a clown was very ugly, but I suppose it´s going to be ugly and funny :laugh:

Country
Norway
There is a lot of skaters that already been mentioned, but I can´t see someone mention Loena Hendrickx beautiful dresses. I don´t even like pink that much, but I like her recent SP costume because of the gorgeous details in the back. I actually also liked her jumpsuit for the Frozen SP. I have hated all the others jumpsuits, but the colour and the details in the back made me like Loenas. Also I very much liked the red FS dress from last season.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I find that Alexander Majorov often has very bad taste in costume choice.

He seems to fancy skinpants and shirts with ugly stripes.

For example this one: http://www.epa.eu/sports-photos/figure-skating-photos/isu-european-figure-skating-championships-photos-54934823/
I really don´t like the stripes.

And of course, the skin panties: https://no.pinterest.com/pin/209558188896737714/

I also found that his Gala-costume, with the big yellow oversized dress, making him look like a clown was very ugly, but I suppose it´s going to be ugly and funny :laugh:

it's supposed to look like that, he is doing jim carrey in the mask, in my opinion he should also paint his face green :biggrin:

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/24600000/The-Mask-the-mask-24621710-272-450.jpg