Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

Matt K

On the Ice
They ALL have accomplished something, whether it be an OGM or in television or sports, like Drew Carey and Sean Avery. I am pretty sure that Drew Carey is not bemoaning a lack of OGM for his career to date.

Nene Leakes was on The Apprentice and she was a hilarious trainwreck :laugh: :laugh:. I wonder how far she can go in DWTS :popcorn:.

Since a lot of this show has to do with personality, I'm wondering why DWTS didn't get other Olympians, like Lolo Jones.

Or if they want an OGM, Ted Ligety would be an option.

KJGL

Rinkside
I don't think that it will necessarily "do anything" for D/W or DWTS either. But I guess oth, I'm trying to be positive about the fact that they're going on it. At least we get to see them (and potentially a different side of them) a little longer! :)

It's okay to be positive--it's going to be fun. Maks will be on his best behavior. This is his best shot at the mirror ball since Mel B. And D/W will extend their name recognition from the 10 weeks of prime time exposure. It's arguable that Evan was/wasn't helped by his appearance on DWTS. His net worth is about ten million dollars, which may not have had anything to do with DWTS, OR the ten extra weeks of media exposure PLUS the networking he got to do in the wider entertainment community from being on the show could have helped. But either way, D/W will have some fun and make some money.

The rest of us will just have fun :)

millie

Medalist
It will be so nice to see Tanith in the audience cheering Charlie on. They make such a nice couple. She said that it's now her turn to spend more time with her man. She said that she will be front row center watching him dance. How sweet.

It's okay to be positive--it's going to be fun. Maks will be on his best behavior. This is his best shot at the mirror ball since Mel B. And D/W will extend their name recognition from the 10 weeks of prime time exposure. It's arguable that Evan was/wasn't helped by his appearance on DWTS. His net worth is about ten million dollars, which may not have had anything to do with DWTS, OR the ten extra weeks of media exposure PLUS the networking he got to do in the wider entertainment community from being on the show could have helped. But either way, D/W will have some fun and make some money.

The rest of us will just have fun :)

:) Thank you!! And agreed! I'm actually super pumped to see Meryl and Maks. It'll be an interesting pairing for sure!
And I'm always excited to see Charlie, haha! But I don't know his partner at all - so I can't say much about them as a pair until it all starts! Speaking of, do we have a date?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will be so nice to see Tanith in the audience cheering Charlie on. They make such a nice couple.

Fun Fact - remember Skating with the Stars (the canceled spinoff of DWTS?) - Tanith co-hosted and did the play by play analysis. I thought she was good at that.

I kind of miss that show - Johnny Weir and Dick Button were judges, so it was entertaining.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
It will be so nice to see Tanith in the audience cheering Charlie on. They make such a nice couple. She said that it's now her turn to spend more time with her man. She said that she will be front row center watching him dance. How sweet.

omg let it go

i hope we don't see their moms though, i am so tired of them good lord

tulosai

Record Breaker
In the short term this may seem great for D/W to do to stay in the spotlight and make some money while they are at it but for their skating legacy not going for a 3rd World title and back to back titles which only a few select teams have ever done is a mistake i think. To be honest Meryl and Charlie don't have much going for personalities other then saying how hard they work and appearing on a crappy reality show isn't going to change that. It didn't help Evan after he was done doing the show.

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to understand/accept that Davis/White might want money more than another world title? Perhaps they are secure in their 'dance legacy' and now would like to actually earn some cash? It's all very well to be idealistic as a fan, but like all of us, Meryl and Charlie need to earn a living. Even with ALL of their wins, I bet they were only about breaking even on their skating expenses (now, with endorsements, they are doubtless doing better, but remember, they had almost no endorsements one year ago) and they are also trying to finance educations.

This is to say nothing of the fact that maybe they wanted to do this as a fun experience, and just flat out thought they might enjoy it more than Worlds and continuing training now after hitting the likely pinnacle of their careers.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They ALL have accomplished something, whether it be an OGM or in television or sports, like Drew Carey and Sean Avery. I am pretty sure that Drew Carey is not bemoaning a lack of OGM for his career to date.

Nene Leakes was on The Apprentice and she was a hilarious trainwreck :laugh: :laugh:. I wonder how far she can go in DWTS :popcorn:.

Since a lot of this show has to do with personality, I'm wondering why DWTS didn't get other Olympians, like Lolo Jones.

Or if they want an OGM, Ted Ligety would be an option.

The DWTS producers saw personality in Meryl and Charlie, otherwise they wouldn't have been chosen in the first place. Unless you think that the USFSA bribed DWTS to include them. :laugh:

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to understand/accept that Davis/White might want money more than another world title? Perhaps they are secure in their 'dance legacy' and now would like to actually earn some cash? It's all very well to be idealistic as a fan, but like all of us, Meryl and Charlie need to earn a living. Even with ALL of their wins, I bet they were only about breaking even on their skating expenses (now, with endorsements, they are doubtless doing better, but remember, they had almost no endorsements one year ago) and they are also trying to finance educations.

This is to say nothing of the fact that maybe they wanted to do this as a fun experience, and just flat out thought they might enjoy it more than Worlds and continuing training now after hitting the likely pinnacle of their careers.

Yeah, this!

Meryl and Charlie have had laser focus on the Olympics since the end of last season. Their season started in September, so they basically been in competition mode for five months. I think it's good they're going to have fun after working so hard in the last year.

Also they haven't formally announced retirement, so for all we know they may go back and get that third title...

The DWTS producers saw personality in Meryl and Charlie, otherwise they wouldn't have been chosen in the first place. Unless you think that the USFSA bribed DWTS to include them. :laugh:

LOL!!!!

Not to mention that they probably saw the "competition within a competition" angle that they could play up between the two...

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Fun Fact - remember Skating with the Stars (the canceled spinoff of DWTS?) - Tanith co-hosted and did the play by play analysis. I thought she was good at that.

I kind of miss that show - Johnny Weir and Dick Button were judges, so it was entertaining.

tanith is a great commentator, i hope she gets to do more stuff soon with d/w retiring. i hope they get charlie commentate with her at some point too, i would enjoy the heck outta that.

but meryl should never commentate, i can not listen to her voice for more than thirty seconds without immediately having to listen to whale noises to soothe my ears

KJGL

Rinkside
:) Thank you!! And agreed! I'm actually super pumped to see Meryl and Maks. It'll be an interesting pairing for sure!
And I'm always excited to see Charlie, haha! But I don't know his partner at all - so I can't say much about them as a pair until it all starts! Speaking of, do we have a date?

Not sure of the date. DWTS alternates seasons with The Bachelor, and that finishes up next week. So probably 2-3 weeks from last night.
Charlie's partner is SEXY. She's been in the DWTS troupe and this is maybe her third season as a pro partner. She's a good choreographer--her best result was partnering with Andy Dick, who's a recovering substance abuser and can't really dance at all, but she was very smart about choreographing routines that played to his strength (which was getting the character of the dance) and probably prolonged his stay on the show for a few weeks more just using her talent as a choreographer.

Not sure of the date. DWTS alternates seasons with The Bachelor, and that finishes up next week. So probably 2-3 weeks from last night.
Charlie's partner is SEXY. She's been in the DWTS troupe and this is maybe her third season as a pro partner. She's a good choreographer--her best result was partnering with Andy Dick, who's a recovering substance abuser and can't really dance at all, but she was very smart about choreographing routines that played to his strength (which was getting the character of the dance) and probably prolonged his stay on the show for a few weeks more just using her talent as a choreographer.

Sounds good to me!! :) I'm sure Charlie will give her more to work with, haha

caitie

Medalist
Ooh, the Meryl BRING IT gif is awesome! Thanks for posting it.

Note to Self: I really should read The Hunger Games...

Just see the movies!

And aw, that gif is one of my favorite things from Tessa & Scott.

To be honest Meryl and Charlie don't have much going for personalities other then saying how hard they work and appearing on a crappy reality show isn't going to change that. It didn't help Evan after he was done doing the show.

I don't think this is true. Meryl and Charlie definitely stay on script and don't reveal much of themselves (we never argue! we've never thought about breaking up! we're so honored to __(fill in the blank)__! thank you moms!), but they definitely have personalities and are charming in their interviews, and I think they come off as incredibly likable. In terms of Evan, Meryl and Charlie come off as much more likable going into the show, and I think Evan came off well on the show.

I'm not sure what Meryl and Charlie hope to accomplish on the show since they are at the pinnacle of their careers unlike most of the celebs who appear and I don't expect them to compete anymore, but it's probably good for their sponsors, for SOI, and perhaps for figure skating and ice dance in general. After all DWTS appeals to the same demographic figure skating does.

Speaking of, do we have a date?

March 17th!

anyanka

Record Breaker
I had heard about this from around these here parts right after they won the OGM ... and I happen to hate the show. Now I have to actually watch it. Dang!

Seriously though, they are marketable and they've certainly created great buzz around themselves. The whole "they look like Disney characters" vibe will serve them well. Maybe Disney will make them brand ambassadors or something. Wholesome, marketable, relatable, perfectly nice athletes who worked hard and got the ultimate prize, maybe this will bring the US public's attention away from the Real Housewives or those duckcall whistle making bigots and back to figure skating, the original reality show. Please make it so, I would rather see athletes who work in isolation and sacrifice their bodies, hearts and souls to athletic pursuit be held high in the public consciousness rather than Kanye West's babymama and her unremarkable family. Why keep up with the Kardashians when you can dance with Davis and White? Which would you rather have?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Really no uber insults are necessary since V/M aren't competing here. But if you want to throw shade at DJ Tanner, Winnie Cooper or the ocean swimming lady, that's fine with me. :laugh:

The question is whether White's dog will vote for him or for the original DJ. ;)

... This is to say nothing of the fact that maybe they wanted to do this as a fun experience, and just flat out thought they might enjoy it more than Worlds and continuing training now after hitting the likely pinnacle of their careers.

:agree: Davis/White already have given so much of themselves to their skating careers. If they're ready for a change of pace and scenery, they deserve to do what they want.

DWTS will be a great chance to make friendships outside of the skating and sports worlds, to learn more about TV production (for themselves and for Belbin), etc.
I hope that the Shibutanis have a chance to attend a DWTS show (and to make a vid??). Alex tweeted today about missing D/W at home.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So many fun Twitter postings:

https://twitter.com/Ih8mornings/status/440898315983409152/photo/1
T.
‏@Ih8mornings 12m
My little boy is over the moon with the announcement that @MaksimC is back! @Meryl_Davis He support's you! #DWTS pic.twitter.com/xJPQ67Hpq0

MaksimC 8:29am via Twitter for iPhone
Don't know what I did 'right' to be partnered with @Meryl_Davis , but thank you @DancingABC ! Something tells me this will be fun ;)

Meryl_Davis 8:17am via Twitter for iPhone
Feeling so fortunate to have been partnered with @MaksimC on @DancingABC! ☀️ Let the adventure begin! Weeeee! pic.twitter.com/DXnQS9ZKea

SharnaBurgess 6:26am via TweetCaster for iOS
@CharlieaWhite lets have an amazing journey together :) so blessed 2have your spirit& energy around me now Lets kick some *** ;) #teamgold

charlieawhite
http://instagram.com/p/lIGuIfMT91/
1 hour ago
Making the most of this opportunity with #DWTS and so lucky to be teamed up with the beautiful @sharnaburgess !!

Meryl_Davis 6:16am via Twitter for iPhone
So excited to be "Team M&M" with @MaksimC on @DancingABC 😊pic.twitter.com/1zz04RwVbuu

CharlieaWhite 6:25am via Twitter for iPhone
Don't listen to @Meryl_Davis ! It's all about team Shar-Char!!! @SharnaBurgess and I are ready to rock! pic.twitter.com/4SYeOfzACa

kristiyamaguchi 6:56am via Twitter for iPad
So excited for @Meryl_Davis and @CharlieaWhite on DWTS!!! Hoping you have as much fun as I did. Can't wait to watch the magic you'll bring!

Awwwww....from Alex Shibutani:
AlexShibutani 8:31am via Twitter for iPhone
Can't wait to see @Meryl_Davis and @CharlieaWhite on @DancingABC!... Also, can't wait to see them period. Its been a few days. :( #DWTS

anyanka

Record Breaker
Please bring Marina Zoueva to the show to coach with her little dog. I would like to see that, please.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thrilled for Meryl and Charlie. I usually don't watch the show but did follow it when Kristie was on
and then Evan. I definitely will be tuning in! Love the tweets!

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Over the moon at this! But pissed that Meryl got Maks and not Derek or even Mark. Maks won't be able to give her the choreography she deserves