Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

tulosai

Record Breaker
;)

That calls for a followup. Something like- Charlie, what did you think of Meryl's rhumba? It was wonderful! It moved me to tears-thankfully I had a box of Puffs handy. :slink:

I love you Doris.

In all seriousness, I think it must be in their puffs contract that they need to tweet about then x times a week.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
"I always keep a small pack of Puffs right next to my ATT phone with unlimited text and 3gb of data in the pocket of my warm and stylish Ralph Lauren coat while I enjoy a healthy Kellogg's Nutri-Grain bar"

As ridiculous as some of those plugs can get, I'm just happy that major companies are still willing to support figure skaters.

;)

That calls for a followup. Something like- Charlie, what did you think of Meryl's rhumba? It was wonderful! It moved me to tears-thankfully I had a box of Puffs handy. :slink:

:thumbsup: :laugh: Yes, but really... I love their random tweets that are total plugs for Airweave, Puffs, etc. I think it was last week that Charlie did tweet about how good DWTS was going to be and to have the puffs ready...(in summary - I'm too lazy to search through his tweets, LOL).

I am still waiting for the day that we see a practice video or them on the balcony above the stage ... And Meryl has a box of Puffs in her hands (since she always seems to be the one holding the box, lol)...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am glad that Meryl & Charlie are taking their contactual obligations seriously, even though the tweets are sometimes silly. Maybe more sponsors will want to sponsor skaters!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Speaking of the last two weeks of the season, in past years there were three "finalists" the last week. Then two seasons ago, the final week was a "final four" though Aly Raisman was eliminated in the first hour of the final night IIRC, leaving Jacoby, Kellie, and Zendaya to do their freestyles. I didn't watch it at all last season, so I don't know how they did it -- is it a final four or a final three this season?

I am glad that Meryl & Charlie are taking their contactual obligations seriously, even though the tweets are sometimes silly. Maybe more sponsors will want to sponsor skaters!

I agree! :) And they seem very dedicated to it....and can drop them without seeming tooooo cheesy. :)

This is OT, but if I post it in a fanfest thread, I don't think it will get answered very soon... I saw that Meryl tweeted this earlier:
"Such an exciting year for us to share w/ @classroomchamps! We can't wait to meet our new classrooms in the fall!" - Meryl Davis
....So does this mean that they're going to continue at least another season...? :biggrin: :slink: (Please excuse my wishing.)

caitie

Medalist
It's a final four like season 16. They probably will eliminate one of them based on next week's votes on the following Monday... and I guess the actual finale will be the next day, on a Tuesday? I'm not sure about that part.

icekiwi

On the Ice
If figure skating fans want to see Meryl and Charlie in the finals, they have to vote. This can be done at facebook, twitter or the official ABC website. I have followed DWTS for years, there is absolutely no guarantee of a place in the finals. The judges seem to be propping Amy up with 9/10 even when she does very little. Meryl and Charlie have to learn the whole dance and perform all the required steps to get their marks while Amy really doesn't fulfill the required elements and get away with it.

After last night's dances, Meryl's Rhumba and Charlie's Quickstep, Meryl can be in jeopardy if she doesn't get enough votes. Judges votes count to 50% while audience votes the other 50%. So, Amy is well propped up and safe.

Enigma256

Rinkside

I wonder what would have happened if they didn't have social media accounts to begin with (like V/M). Do you think their sponsors would have forced them to make one and also to post real things regularly because otherwise nobody would pay attention to an account without product-pimping content?

slider11

Medalist
I have to agree with the comment that the judges are propping Amy up. I really admire her grace and guts but I do think that the 9s and 10s are partially in sympathy. But I suppose that's no different that the right wing voting for Candace because of her religious views. Sweet lady but c'mon this is a dancing competition. I will be sad if Meryl or Charlie are voted off next week as they are really progressing as the best dancers. I think they purposely put different couples in the final 2 or 3 to keep the field as level as possible even though it may be in sequence the same bottom group every week. I won't be shocked if Meryl and Maks are in the elimination spotlight next week just to shake things up. Golly, what if it was Meryl/Maks and Charlie/Shandra and C/S are gone...NO! My prediction is that James goes next week, then Candace then Amy with M and C in the finals. Ok, maybe wishful thinking...

buttermilk

On the Ice
I won't be shocked if Meryl and Maks are in the elimination spotlight next week just to shake things up.
The producers pretty much have no choice but to put them in jeopardy next week. They are dead last in the scores, and calling them safe would basically be a big announcement that Meryl's running away with the votes. That wouldn't make the final too suspenseful.

The only clue I've seen that indicates how people are voting is social media - twitter, tumblr and Facebook - and sadly, I'm seeing the absolute least interest and support for Charlie.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Though I have followed DWTS for years, I have not voted in the past. This time however, because of Meryl and Charlie, I have signed up to vote. I did mine through ABC official site. So, if fans who are following this thread would like to see Meryl and Charlie in the finals, please do sign up to vote.

I have been involved with dancing for years, so know a thing or two about the rules and requirements of each dance. Charlie and Meryl are doing superbly in learning them, getting lots of great technical content in their dances. They both also have great partners in Maks and Sharna. I am more worried about Amy, both in the sense that the judges are terribly unnecessarily biased towards her. In a real amateur or professional dance competition, believe me, she would be getting 3/4s. Here, the judges/producers are being 'politically correct' by not marking her down when steps were not done, ie. the Waltz, well............, there was no Waltz. I truly hope there is no 'political' agenda to make Amy win so it looks like, "Yeah, someone like her actually can win a dance competition and beat out ice dancers - hurray, clap clap". That type of political media grabbing agenda really bugs me.

Esopian

Final Flight
^I do agree that the judges have a biased view towards Amy, (not that she's a bad dancer or anything), I enjoy watching her dance, but I think it's time for her to go home soon.

I'm glad that there are others who hope for Meryl and Charlie to be the 2 finalists. If that happened, I bet the viewer ratings would go right up! :agree:

ingofan1

Rinkside
I drive well and I have a problem with depth perception. I didn't know it until I needed glasses a few years ago and during the eye exam was asked what number I was seeing. The first two were easy, but when I got to page three all I saw were dots on the page, no number. I asked what the test was for and was told it was to test my depth perception. It suddenly made sense why when I looked at those kids books where there was a picture within a picture, I could never see what my kids were seeing. I think that's also the reason I can't really tell the difference between HD and standard channels.

Having said that, I've read that Meryl has dyslexia, which is different, as tulosal explained in an earlier post. I'm wondering if they were all confused last night or if she really does have both conditions.
Are some cases worse it seems Meryl has know since childhood.
The USA article made it seem pretty scary..When you have a lack of depth perception does it mean you cannot see how far they are.Sorry to ask so many stupid questions I just never heard of this condition.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Charlie interview with People magazine about the difficulties of skating, dancing, competing and just surviving with asthma.
http://www.people.com/article/charl...difficult-dancing-with-the-stars-olympics#vid

His parents learned of his condition when he was very young, when he passed out and turned blue at the beach. :eek:

It was during a trip to the beach with his family as a kid that his parents realized the intensity of the situation.

"I was waving at them and they were saying, 'Oh look how much fun he's having!' " he recalled. "And then I just fell on my face. They came over to me and I was blue and wasn't breathing, so we had to start taking it seriously from then on."

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
"I was waving at them and they were saying, 'Oh look how much fun he's having!' " he recalled. "And then I just fell on my face. They came over to me and I was blue and wasn't breathing, so we had to start taking it seriously from then on."
Leave it to Charlie White to put a funny twist in this kind of story :laugh:

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Are some cases worse it seems Meryl has know since childhood.
The USA article made it seem pretty scary..When you have a lack of depth perception does it mean you cannot see how far they are.Sorry to ask so many stupid questions I just never heard of this condition.

Ingofan, I suppose as with everything else, some cases can be worse. You are correct that it means you cannot accurately judge distance of things.

It's not scary and driving isn't bad because you get used to it and do what you must to compensate. I've driven with people who pull so close to the car in front of them at a stoplight that I think we're going to actually hit the car. I would never do that, because I can't really judge how close I am. Then again, maybe I just think they've gotten close when they haven't. :scratch: For me, the more frustrating thing has been lack of 3D depth perception. When everyone is raving about how great the HD is on my television it's annoying not to be able to see it. I think the picture looks slightly better, but that's about it.

I'm glad you asked, and don't think these are stupid questions, because they're not! :)