"Deal with it, South Korea: Adelina Sotnikova beat Yuna Kim fair and square" | Golden Skate

"Deal with it, South Korea: Adelina Sotnikova beat Yuna Kim fair and square"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokugawaice

Rinkside
"Deal with it, South Korea: Adelina Sotnikova beat Yuna Kim fair and square"

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deal-w...-beat-yuna-kim-fair-and-square-152619212.html

By Dan Wetzel

SOCHI, Russia – Give it up, South Korea.

The International Olympic Committee said Saturday it received a "protest letter" from South Korea over the scoring in the ladies individual figure skating competition. Russia's Adelina Sotnikova beat out South Korea's Yuna Kim for gold on Thursday.

At issue is the scoring in the free skate where Sotnikova received an extremely high mark – 149.95 – more than enough to beat Kim's 144.19. The score was the best of any skater in a free program this year (Kim's is the second-best) and was more than 18 points higher than Sotnikova's season's best….

Thoughts? I seem to be reading the same kind of analysis from people not in the skating world. Sotnikova did one more triple jump, therefore she wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

volk

Final Flight
Mathematically it would take an outrageous overscoring/underscoring for two or three judges to sway the mean of a nine-judge panel that significantly. Statistically, it makes far more sense that all the judges saw Sotnikova as a very, very strong skater and the majority favored her. Since you can win gold by 0.01, the margin doesn't matter and never did.

:thumbsup:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Great article, as I have said!

South Korea officials should not make fool of themselves by involving into it. Then again this is not the first time they made unsuccessful/unreasonable complaints to the Olympic results.

What a silly article. Why does this sportswriter feel compelled to put a chip on his shoulder and say, "deal with it, punk" like a pugnacious child?

All he has to say is, Sotnikova skated great and deserved her marks. Good for Kim for her silver medal.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This from a so called football expert who called Rex Grossman the next great QB in the game in 2006, thus this displaying his level of knowledge on his so called "main" sport. Yeah next. He probably liked Sotnikova's butt the best so she was the best.

volk

Final Flight
This from a so called football expert who called Rex Grossman the next great QB in the game in 2006, thus this displaying his level of knowledge on his so called "main" sport. Yeah next. He probably liked Sotnikova's butt the best so she was the best.

He's not any less of an expert than any of us.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Actually I am sure he knows 0.01% as much about skating as any of us, even the likes of BlueBonnet, CanadianSkaterGuy, or sky_fall, given that he knows less than a 6 month year old baby about his MAIN sport (football) as his Rex Grossman declaration proves.

jkun

Final Flight

um in terms of certifications or something like that, yeah, he's the same as us. But I'm pretty sure a lot more of the people here have been in engrossed in figure skating than he has.

cooper

Medalist
What a silly article. Why does this sportswriter feel compelled to put a chip on his shoulder and say, "deal with it, punk" like a pugnacious child?

All he has to say is, Sotnikova skated great and deserved her marks. Good for Kim for her silver medal.

this.:disapp::disapp:

volk

Final Flight
Actually I am sure he knows 0.01% as much about skating as any of us, even the likes of BlueBonnet, CanadianSkaterGuy, or sky_fall, given that he knows less than a 6 month year old baby about his MAIN sport (football) as his Rex Grossman declaration proves.

yes you know everthing:rolleye: but you didn't counter any of the arguments he did

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
..Um in terms of physical certifications or something like that, yeah, he's the same as us. But I'm pretty sure a lot more of the people here have been in engrossed in figure skating than he has.

He follows football passionately and is payed to write on it (god knows how, what a world we live in) and still knows less than someone who watches it for 5 minutes, so just imagine a sport he never watches. :laugh:

whatif

Medalist
The article is in response to the so-called petition signed by Koreans. So, I do not see what's wrong with the writer's sarcastic tone.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
yes you know everthing:rolleye: but you didn't counter any of the arguments he did

He isn't even worth countering as it is too much rubbish to even sift through. I have rebutted the peoples arguments (very few that exist as that would make up the 0.1% of the skating following population who make an argument for Sotnikova) who actually say something that wouldn't make me lose brain cells just reading 2 seconds of it like his article. Why would I even go through it, he didn't even talk about the skating, the elements, the programs or anything in depth (how could he, we are talking about someone who wouldn't even know what a lutz or camel spin is). There would be nothing to counter or discuss.

The article is in response to the so-called petition signed by Koreans. So, I do not see what's wrong with the writer's sarcastic tone.

What's wrong with it is the immaturity. He is sticking out his tongue and saying, nyah, nyah.

usethis2

Medalist
This thread belongs to the other media report thread. If every media report and punditry were to have its own thread, the first 2 pages of this forum will be those.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty

You are probably right. Putin could certainly arrange him several blondes, figure skaters or not LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.