Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 70 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Has the flag bearer for Latvia been already decided? Would love to see him taking on that role :love:

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Going by Diana's instastory update, they have arrived safely in Pyeongchang :) It must be late afternoon there now? but fingers crossed they will be at practice tomorrow :yahoo:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, sadly it's not Deniss, it's Daumants Dreiškens. But maybe next time, I hope :)
(Watch! Deniss reaches up to the stars at 0:36 :luv17: and they interviewed him too.)

Aw, pity. Yes, let's hope for the next time around!
We love Deniss in this Fan Fest, but I think Deniss was probably too young to be the flag bearer, and it's his first Olympics. Latvia typically has a small delegation, so it COULD have been him, but I'm not surprised that it isn't. Next time, hopefully! :laugh: :) Good to know they arrived in Pyeongchang safely!

MGstyle

Medalist
Indeed, I wouldn't dream of that if he represented Russia or Canada or something, but I imagined Latvia has a small delegation and probably he is one of the most high profile athletes internationally, so I had my hopes up!!! :biggrin: Now keep calm and let the games begin... good luck Deniss, and everyone else!!!

AgnesR

On the Ice
Another article on Deniss - behind a paywall sadly.
I am super happy he's getting a bit of attention from mainstream media, he deserves to be popular :) I also saw a print copy on Facebook.
Also an article on Agita Abele.

Dear fans, I can assure you that Deniss has been at the top in all mass media since he was in Riga for Nat Champs and even before.
:hap85:
So, speaking about the interview, there is not much new for his real fans. Anyway, I’ll try to make up a short summary at the weekend but there is one episode I would like to tell you right away.

It took place at the Olympic presentation. Team Champery were in a rush because in an hour’s time they had to be in the airport but they had to get their uniforms still. Christ had promised 30 minutes for the interview, but as soon as the official part was over, the TV journalists surrounded him. When the author of the article wanted to get her bit of Deniss, he was rather strict saying that he wants to meet his parents. When at last she got the access to our star, there turned up a lady saying- “Well, allow at least to dress him up until the plane.”:frown: The reporter didn’t give up and continued the interview.

Then Lambiel comes running with a pair of trainers, asks to try them on to see whether they fit. They fit properly. A minute later he appears again with another pair of sneakers. They fit as well. Deniss is dressed up at last! Then she asks Deniss-''Could you ever imagine that Olympic silver medalist Lambiel himself one day will bring you shoes like a Cinderella?''
:think:
You can guess what the answer was. Right you are. The answer was – no.:laugh:

fourthdimension

On the Ice
Dear fans, I can assure you that Deniss has been at the top in all mass media since he was in Riga for Nat Champs and even before.
So, speaking about the interview, there is not much new for his real fans. Anyway, I’ll try to make up a short summary at the weekend but there is one episode I would like to tell you right away.

It took place at the Olympic presentation. Team Champery were in a rush because in an hour’s time they had to be in the airport but they had to get their uniforms still. Christ had promised 30 minutes for the interview, but as soon as the official part was over, the TV journalists surrounded him. When the author of the article wanted to get her bit of Deniss, he was rather strict saying that he wants to meet his parents. When at last she got the access to our star, there turned up a lady saying- “Well, allow at least to dress him up until the plane.”:frown: The reporter didn’t give up and continued the interview.

Then Lambiel comes running with a pair of trainers, asks to try them on to see whether they fit. They fit properly. A minute later he appears again with another pair of sneakers. They fit as well. Deniss is dressed up at last! Then she asks Deniss-''Could you ever imagine that Olympic silver medalist Lambiel himself one day will bring you shoes like a Cinderella?''

Thanks for the translation! I love that story

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

:laugh: What a charming image of Deniss as Cinderella and Stephane as the steward bringing him what he needs! :love: Thanks for sharing, AgnesR! :thank:

icetug

Medalist
Then she asks Deniss-''Could you ever imagine that Olympic silver medalist Lambiel himself one day will bring you shoes like a Cinderella?''
Cute :laugh: I assume that the lady just wanted to check if Deniss' coach was caring enough for him ;)

I found another photo of Latvian team, taken from a different angle. Deniss is delighted contemplating while Diana is busy with her smartfon :laugh:

username0507

Rinkside
Thank you for sharing that piece of story. None of us would have known what was written in the article without your help XD
Though I hope the attention won't annoy Deniss in the future, as some reporters can be a bit rude. Luckily, he lives in Champery most of the time, so he can somewhat avoid the annoying press :v
And of course Stephane has to make sure his skaters look at least adequate for major events. I mean, he went suit shopping with Deniss anyway lol :D

MGstyle

Medalist

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: OMG the shoe episode is hilarious!!! Thank you for sharing that with us!!! :thank:
Good that he also knows how to stand on his ground, he has such a limited time to spend with his family, he should take advantage of any minute he can get for that :luv17:

username0507

Rinkside
Deniss and Stephane were interviewed after Deniss' practice.
http://sportacentrs.com/phjonchana_...skesim_?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter (Stephane)
http://sportacentrs.com/phjonchana_2018/10022018-vasiljevs_es_jau_piedzimu_gatavs_olimpisk (Deniss)

It looks like they won't be risking the quad, which I think is a good option. Stephane also said to be patient for the quads, and that quad game MAY happen next season. Also, he thinks 12th place should be good for Deniss. (Btw, I've read somewhere else that Latvian Olympic Committee set the goal of 7th-16th place for Deniss http://www.grani.lv/daugavpils/92477-denis-vasilev-otpravlyaetsya-v-phenchhan.html)