Ekaterina Kurakova | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Kurakova

McTwisp

Rinkside
Wow quick turn around. Katia is determined to shake off the competitive rust.

I was trying to figure out her free program music. The step sequence seems to use "Smile" from Modern Times - Charlie Chaplin. Anyone have ideas on the rest?

McTwisp

Rinkside
Chaplin: The Terry Theme From "Limelight" / La Violetera From "City Lights" / Je cherche après Titine From "Modern Times" / Awakening From "Limelight" / Theme From "Modern Times" - Lisa Batiashvili

McTwisp

Rinkside
Livestream for Cup of Łódź - Day 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKqcPCjiMgQ

Senior Polish ladies short program starts at 16:06 to 16:52 Friday, Oct 9th local time with Katia skating 7th of 7 ladies. Toronto time would be about 10am to 11am with the 6 hr time difference.

Livestream for Cup of Łódź - Day 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8YUVryEEVU

Senior Polish ladies free program starts at 10:03 to 10:57 Saturday, Oct 10th local time with Katia likely skating last. Toronto time would be about 4am to 5am with the 6 hr time difference.

Last edited:

DenissVFan

Medalist
As expected, she withdrew from Skate Canada. I wonder if they asked her about IdF at some point.

McTwisp

Rinkside

Combo a bit messed up. Looks like she went to pick in for the Lutz as per usual then changed her mind in the last moment, went for the Flip instead, and messed up her timing. I wonder if her new dress was made for her new short program. Katia looks very elegant.

Fluture

Record Breaker

Combo a bit messed up. Looks like she went to pick in for the Lutz as per usual then changed her mind in the last moment, went for the Flip instead, and messed up her timing. I wonder if her new dress was made for her new short program. Katia looks very elegant.

Still love this program. And Katia! But I wonder why she‘d ever go for 3F+3T when she‘s called for her lip every single time...:scratch2:

Fluture

Record Breaker

Katia‘s FS! Much better technically than the SP, though I assume the first combo was meant to be 3Lz+3T and she did the 2T because of a slightly unstable landing?

I think the program has some very unique and interesting moments, though I will have to see it in better quality and with her costume. At the moment, I‘m not entirely sold on it. But then again, it was always going to be hard to surpass last year‘s program.

Katia‘s expression and skating are still excellent, though I really worry about her UR issues. I know it‘s early in the season and she‘s working on it but with her being cut off from her coaches in Canada, it‘s a bit troublesome. She really needs to fix them one way or another or she‘ll never get the score her skating deserves.

McTwisp

Rinkside

Katia‘s FS! Much better technically than the SP, though I assume the first combo was meant to be 3Lz+3T and she did the 2T because of a slightly unstable landing?

I think the program has some very unique and interesting moments, though I will have to see it in better quality and with her costume. At the moment, I‘m not entirely sold on it. But then again, it was always going to be hard to surpass last year‘s program.

Katia‘s expression and skating are still excellent, though I really worry about her UR issues. I know it‘s early in the season and she‘s working on it but with her being cut off from her coaches in Canada, it‘s a bit troublesome. She really needs to fix them one way or another or she‘ll never get the score her skating deserves.
I've accepted that Katia will likely be low balled PCS and GOE wise for the rest of her skating career regardless of what she shows on the ice... under rotations not withstanding. The politics in judged sports will not be denied. Maybe she could have an outside shot at a Euro or World medal if the planets align. It is looking like she would need to own a triple axel plus having near perfect programs to even get close to the podium.

I admire Katia's resiliency and fortitude in fighting to establish a figure skating career after being passed over and stonewalled by the Russian Fed. The FFKR has an embarrassment of riches in ladies singles so it is not surprising promising talent is overlooked and discarded along the way. Katia took a great leap of faith into the unknown by transferring to Poland. Many thanks go out to Marek Kaliszek for recruiting and supporting Katia's move.

(Note that Anfisa Sevastianova also transferred to Poland from Russia last year to try pair skating. Anfisa just competed in junior ladies singles event at Cup of Łódź and squeaked out a victory. I wonder if she will continue in singles or pairs with Piotr Wiśniewski. So at least Katia is not the only Russian born lady training at MKS Axel Torun.)

Hopefully Katia can stay healthy and we can watch her skate in 2 or 3 Olympics. Programs for the people and standing ovations from the audience should be the goal and then maybe just maybe the medals will follow.

As an underdog and naturally expressive performer, it is easy to cheer on Katia both in skating and in life.

Last edited:

McTwisp

Rinkside

This program is starting to grow on me. I didn't like the music at first except for the step sequence when Katia seemed to come alive in her program. The "Besti" squat spread eagle with the turn is kind of cool. In this fubared skating season, I see this program mainly as a developmental piece to improve Katia's speed and flow across the ice and lyrical expression. Last years Le Corsaire program really highlighted Katia's personality.

The Chaplin medley as performed by Lisa Batiashvili is tribute to the most important cities in Lisa's life especially in the pre-corona times. Here is a link to the music video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRrBZ-2P6CA

Katia, as a bonafide world traveller, might be channeling some of this same feeling in the cities that are important to Katia.

Sanaemilia

Rinkside
Country
Poland
I've accepted that Katia will likely be low balled PCS and GOE wise for the rest of her skating career regardless of what she shows on the ice... under rotations not withstanding. The politics in judged sports will not be denied. Maybe she could have an outside shot at a Euro or World medal if the planets align. It is looking like she would need to own a triple axel plus having near perfect programs to even get close to the podium.
Yes, I was thinking about it too. It looks like that for now. BUT she is such a fighter! Better and stronger when she has good people around her. I think that she can improve technically, when she will go to Toronto.
And when she will have more fans and better position as a skater, then I hope her situation will change...

Sanaemilia

Rinkside
Country
Poland
I think the program has some very unique and interesting moments, though I will have to see it in better quality and with her costume. At the moment, I‘m not entirely sold on it.
You are right! Gorgeous dress, good lightning, high quality - and it will look much better. I think at Warsaw Cup, there will also be the audience to interact with.
This song and choreagraphy have a potential. There are emotions and a story in it, but they are not so visible in some parts for now. But she is working on it. Did you notice that she added new element, when she was skating FP in Łódź? I think she has much more she can show us:)

Vemvane

On the Ice
Some videos of Katia's jumps - 2A + 1Eu + 3F, and a 3Lz.

With the 3Lz video below, I can say with confidence that I have now been a figure skating fan long enough to know that it will warm the cockles of some fans' hearts to have a slow-motion clip of Katia's take-off edge, which I have to say looks pretty good to me.

icetug

Medalist

icetug

Medalist
Do you think she'll move there permanently? In the current situation it'd be a much more convenient option than Canada.
Surely it would be much better option for her as we actually don't know when she's able to enter Canada, maybe not in a year... But this time she went for a training camp together with Natalia and Maxim, in order to prepare for the Warsaw Cup.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Surely it would be much better option for her as we actually don't know when she's able to enter Canada, maybe not in a year... But this time she went for a training camp together with Natalia and Maxim, in order to prepare for the Warsaw Cup.
I thought it was for a camp. But we've had a fair share of coaching changes lately, so, maybe, who knows...

Sanaemilia

Rinkside
Country
Poland
You are right. She is not on the list. http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/2021/KAT1020/CAT002EN.HTM

I am so happy for her training with Lorenzo. She looks so concentrated on her jumps.

Looking forward to the Warsaw Cup. But FOR NOW Warsaw is in the red zone because of the COVID and no audience is allowed in the competitions. It looks like the Cup willl be held but without fans...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ana