Empathy For Skaters in the Olympic Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Empathy For Skaters in the Olympic Season

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In my opinion, no skater needs my sympathy. While it's heartbreaking that certain skaters, for reasons both within and out of their control, may never get on an Olympic team or achieve desired goals, that doesn't marginalize the achievements they did have in their career or the impact they've had on their own lives as well as the lives of others, not to mention their personal growth and development gained through competitive skating.

Sergei Voronov - let down 3 times by the horrible Russian Fed, and deserved to go much more than some of the people mentioned here, imo.

I agree with Voronov as a charming performer who wins over our hearts. I do not think, however, that the Russian Federation is particularly at fault for the him being left off the Russian team. He could have made a stronger case if he had begun his string of great performances a little earlier.

I wish there could have been a extra slot for Japanese ladies for Wakaba.

shyne

Final Flight
To sum up the differences between the most commonly used meanings of these two terms: sympathy is feeling compassion, sorrow, or pity for the hardships that another person encounters, while empathy is putting yourself in the shoes of another.

viennaskater

Medalist
Sergei Voronov - let down 3 times by the horrible Russian Fed, and deserved to go much more than some of the people mentioned here, imo.

Please add me to the group of Voronov supporters. Not only do I love his skating, he came across as so positive this season, which is not something I am feeling at all with Kolyada (who always used to be a happy soul). At least we are spared Kovtun.

viennaskater

Medalist
Um, why? He's going to the Olympics for a second time and is one of the favourites. Nothing to sympathise over.

My sympathy is reserved for people like Max, who saw his Olympic dream lying in tatters on the ice at San Jose after so desperately trying for the lsst 4 years to do everything demanded of him and more.

Yes, agreed, Yuzuru is up there, with a strong chance of A medal, even if it isn't gold.

charlotte14

Medalist
Um, why? He's going to the Olympics for a second time and is one of the favourites. Nothing to sympathise over.

My sympathy is reserved for people like Max, who saw his Olympic dream lying in tatters on the ice at San Jose after so desperately trying for the lsst 4 years to do everything demanded of him and more.
Why? Because sympathyzing with skaters who have struggled with injuries is only valid if they're not making it to the Olympics? As if the ones who get to the Olympics did not keep trying and battling with injuries and scrutinization.

LadyB

Record Breaker

I was just about to say that. It's so blatantly obvious how they've been treating him for a good few seasons now. What else can you possibly do than winning a GP??? :scratch3:

I would also particularly add Anna Pogo. I think she's a magnificent skater who had to go through horrible moments and I very much hope, she somehow finds the strength and support to bounce back.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel sympathy for those who have had bad luck, injuries, illness. But besides those physical things, I sympathize with skaters who are really giving it their all, working hard, making sacrifices and yet still find they are targets of cyberbullies. They have enough to cope with, without having to waste their energy being worn down by mental games.

There are also those I don't feel much sympathy for -- in particular those who don't follow their coaches' instructions regarding training, those who practice elements and jumps that aren't needed that could possibly endanger their physical well-being.

I am always struck by how big a part luck plays in things. How is it that Adam was warming up off-ice and broke his foot? How about Daniel Samohin who dislocated his shoulder during Sk Amer. All these things that happen in a split second that have the potential to be career enders. Kind of scary!

Best of luck to everyone for the Olympics and the remainder of the season. Stay healthy and injury free (and no flu please!).

figureskaterfan1

Spectator
Marajov - To qualify and not be allowed to go is just heartbreaking. He came back from giving his Dad a bone marrow donation - just a tragic story all round.

Anastasia , Marin and Anna - all beautiful skaters, timing was just wrong

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
To sum up the differences between the most commonly used meanings of these two terms: sympathy is feeling compassion, sorrow, or pity for the hardships that another person encounters, while empathy is putting yourself in the shoes of another.
However putting yourself in the shoes of another unless you find yourself in some sort of situation with them is pretty much meaningless. I guess you could argue even sympathy is unnecessary unless some sort of action of support is required from you.
I'd say respect and appreciation are the most adequate things you could feel towards elite athletes. Respect for overcoming hardship for instance, or pity, if you feel they have been snubbed or unfairly treated.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I agree with Voronov as a charming performer who wins over our hearts. I do not think, however, that the Russian Federation is particularly at fault for the him being left off the Russian team. He could have made a stronger case if he had begun his string of great performances a little earlier.

A little earlier like when? He was on the podium at every competition this season prior to Russian Nats. The only Russian man who did better was Kolyada and that was with a lot of help from inflated scores. You could say that about Ross Miner whose season was not good at all...but what else could Sergei have possibly done? He had one bad FS at Russian Nats, and so did everyone else there.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alaine Chartrand :sad4:

I couldn't agree with you more. Even with two of my three favorite skaters Jason Brown and Kevin Reynolds not making the Olympics this time, I understood the reasoning and agreed with the selection. With Alaine not being selected, I still have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, I know that she got 4th at Nationals and Larkyn got 3rd. But I was was hoping that they were going to go for Alaine since she has done much better score-wise and technical-wise in the quad. I found her to be more qualified. But they went with Larkyn. Now let me make it clear, I have NOTHING against Larkyn. Congrats to her on making it to the Olympics, but in my opinion, Alaine deserved it more. It still pains me to be honest. It was her spot to lose. :cry: I'm hoping she'll stay another 4 years. And I know that Alaine hasn't been doing too hot in competitions recently...augh.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Yes, seeing Alaine's performances at Four Continents was bittersweet for me. Happy that she put out the best performances of the season, sad that she couldn't deliver them at Nationals when it counted. I dearly hope next season is a stronger, more rewarding season for her.

viennaskater

Medalist
A little earlier like when? He was on the podium at every competition this season prior to Russian Nats. The only Russian man who did better was Kolyada and that was with a lot of help from inflated scores. You could say that about Ross Miner whose season was not good at all...but what else could Sergei have possibly done? He had one bad FS at Russian Nats, and so did everyone else there.

With you there, silverfoxes. And back in 2014, Voronov got silver at the Europeans. Of course, Plushenko got to go to Sochi but who was reserve in case he didn't? Kovtun! OK so it was unfair on Kovtun because he could have taken that spot seeing as Plushenko bowed out at the last minute, but still - Voronov should have been assigned that reserve spot. The fact that he wasn't did not help his career, in my opinion. And it doesn't matter about his age, there are several skaters over 30 who are at Pyeongchang and ones who have been in Olympics in the past, like pairs couple Pang and Tong.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Agreed with what was said above about Alaine. I still feel so heartbroken for her. This was definitely NOT her season. :( Nobody saw Larkyn on the horizon, as Gabby, Kaetlyn and Alaine were all considered shoo-ins for the three spots, being so far ahead of all the remaining senior Canadian ladies this time last year.

Don’t get me wrong, I am absolutely elated for Larkyn. I always love a surprise shakeup in the standings that nobody saw coming. Sadly, it’s always to the disappointment of another skater. But what can you do?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sergei Voronov, Ross Miner, Lubov & Dylan, Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen for starters ... :cry:

Oh, and Alexander Majorov (Sweden)

Eclair

Medalist
Wakaba :sad4: she really would have deserved to be at the Olympics!

also sad for Anna Pogo and Zijun Li for not making the Team ... :sad4:

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Zhenya - what a time to be coming back from an injury!

The skaters (particularly those from the *big gun* countries) not involved in the team event.
And especially those who have to to sit and cheer for their teammates, all the while knowing they ain’t gonna be getting one of those medals. I take my hat off to those who are actually there, smiling and not feigning illness to go back to their hotel room/village room/whatever they’ve got, to relax and focus on themselves. Better people than I am!

Anyone who missed going due to age restrictions.

viennaskater

Medalist
Zhenya - what a time to be coming back from an injury!

??? If you are talking about Medvedeva, I don't think she warrants any empathy/sympathy. So she was injured - sorry and all that, but lots of skaters get injured. She's won just about everything and even if she doesn't win at these Olympics, she's YOUNG, she's got YEARS yet.