Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1459 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Ballade88

On the Ice
I think Rafael is still bit of an old school coach. In the past for single skaters, with the exception of Mishin, coaches fully dedicate their time and efforts to one top student per discipline. It was the idea that they were fighting the battle together. Nowadays with the different elite camps, I think the skaters are more accustomed to training alongside rivals, although with the frequent changing of coaches, I'm not sure it is a better approach than the more individualized training in the past.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. I recall Raf talking about Shoma Uno last year when he was coachless. He said something along the lines that even if Shoma wanted to come to California, he wouldn't be able to take him. And he referenced what happened between Eunsoo Lim and Mariah Bell. There was also an interview in a French magazine with Papadakis and Cizeron where they talked about how difficult it was when Virtue/Moir returned, how they felt the tension from day 1, how it messed with their heads and how they felt they couldn't trust anyone but each other. They were sure that the coaches did what they could and didn't have any favorites. It was just a really difficult situation.

But I hope for the best and that things will work out for Evgenia.

Welcome to Evgenia's fan fest. Post often. :)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still, it might look allright on paper, as far as we know the actual arrangements from Kihira's side. But Yevgeniya's are still unknown, right? Business as usual, or a change in priorities?

When Rika starts training already while Yevgeniya is still kept up somewhere else, it will already be a small psychological advantage for Rika. There might be a test of characters on hand, and a clash of cultures too.

Evgenia has trained at TCC for 2 years so I doubt she will feel uncomfortable. And she will welcome Rika there, just like she did Katia.

Fluture

Record Breaker
"This is an elf dancing on ice": the mature image of Russian figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva was noticed on the popular Chinese site Sohu. ”I am sure that everyone who saw Medvedeva in action was impressed by her confident and graceful dance. At the rink, this girl exudes an aura. Despite her young age, Medvedeva is already an experienced "veteran“. She moves beautifully and smoothly, like an elf dancing on ice, which adds color to the sport,“ concluded the author of Sports Yiyun, who has 30 million views of articles on Sohu. He also noted that Evgenia fills the shortage of "sports goddesses" in China.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jmedoj/status/1273118982254493697

Also:

https://mobile.twitter.com/HourlyZhenya/status/1270751119728353281

:luv17: Time flies...

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I see the friendly rivalry between Yuzuru and Javier as more of an exception than the norm. Typically, training with a strong rival leads to tension and does not last in the long term. There is a reason why traditionally a coach trained only one top skater for each discipline. The Russians were known for their elite training camps. Mishin trained several top men in the late 90s but we all know how the situation with Yagudin and Plushenko turned out. Eteri is the modern equivalent but skaters like Evgenia and now Trusova left due to internal competition. Not to mention Yulia and others before. Hamada trained all the top Japanese female skaters at one time, but gradually each decided to leave. Marin Honda was the first. The tension is not as great at TCC but it also depends on the skaters. Some skaters thrive with constant competition but others don't. Also, you don't even have to be competing for no.1 to have tension in training. For example, the strange situation with Eunsoo Lee and Mariah Bell, which ended with one skater leaving the camp. I hope things work out well for Evgenia and Rika but I think it is reasonable to have questions and doubts about the changes.

On training top athletes, Kaori Sakamoto & Mai Mihara has had the same coach for years. When Mai couldnt train due to illness, Kaori said she missed Mai.

Hamada's situation was after Nobu Oda started the court case on allegations of abuse. After that, Satoko left for Canada. Now is Rika. Young You joined in with Hamada last year I think.
Marin Honda to me did not seem to be favoured by Hamada. Marin to Hamada did not work hard enough, by Hamada's standards.
So, in Hamada's case, tongues are wagging that perhaps she did pull her students hair, shout at them, etc as alleged in the court case.

Eun Soo & Mariah Bell, yeah I know. I blame Eun Soo's agency, their way of dealing with things too confrontational. From Yuna Kim to Dennis Ten & Yuzuru situation. Word is Orser was approached 1st, he said no. Then Eun Soo went to Rafael.

This is the reason why I said in earlier post, Orser & Tracy Wilson choose carefully the type of personalities to take in for team harmony. There is no 2 characters who are both very driven, outspoken, bad tempered type - Plushenko & Yagudin will happen.

My view is these days all the established, famous coaches have more than 1 top skater for each discpline, so its unavoidable situation.

We just have to wait & see next season. If tension boils up, I trust Orser & Tracy Wilson will be able to deal with it, they have the experience.

Maia96

On the Ice
Well, basically due to the pressure of ISU members, the change in the cost of BV of the elements in figure skating was nullified ... so that small difference by the 3Lutz that Zhenya would reduce respect to her rivals will no longer be. And as she herself has said that it's no longer possible to fix her 3Lutz I :pray: for her 4S.

mdl

On the Ice
Well, basically due to the pressure of ISU members, the change in the cost of BV of the elements in figure skating was nullified ... so that small difference by the 3Lutz that Zhenya would reduce respect to her rivals will no longer be. And as she herself has said that it's no longer possible to fix her 3Lutz I :pray: for her 4S.

not only that, but all the changes, so we will continue to have triples sold for quads, blade instead of toepicks, etc...
There is, though, the sentence that still clarifications and minor adjustments are possible so I hope they will keep the cheated take-offs and toepicks.

I also hope she gets the 4S and it will be such a great moment if we see one in the Open Skates, crossing fingers, ..:pray:

Maia96

On the Ice
not only that, but all the changes, so we will continue to have triples sold for quads, blade instead of toepicks, etc...
There is, though, the sentence that still clarifications and minor adjustments are possible so I hope they will keep the cheated take-offs and toepicks.

I also hope she gets the 4S and it will be such a great moment if we see one in the Open Skates, crossing fingers, ..:pray:

Exactly and we already know from whom. It seems that someone have done their job very well and there will be no change before the Olympics https://rsport.ria.ru/amp/20200618/1573150608.html

By the way federation plans to do the test skates on 12-13 September.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I hope she does just one Lutz in the free program, and she just needs to skate clean and have all her spin level 4. She is still very competitive. And I can't wait to see her new programs. :)

mdl

On the Ice
I hope she does just one Lutz in the free program, and she just needs to skate clean and have all her spin level 4. She is still very competitive. And I can't wait to see her new programs. :)

me too, but lot of time till September....i hope to have some teasers :pray:

soniagrandar

Rinkside

Did she really say that? She can't fix her Lutz? From what I know since her moving to TCC one of the first things was to get the right edge.

Maia96

On the Ice
Did she really say that? She can't fix her Lutz? From what I know since her moving to TCC one of the first things was to get the right edge.

Yes. At the press conference at GP Rostelecom. She said she will no longer be able to get a fully correct Lutz. She didn't give further explanations. I suppose her great coach will have told her that she won't get it anymore.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has worked so hard trying to fix it, I think she will at best get a flat edge. It's better for her to concentrate on a 4S. Her loop is beautiful, could she do a 4loop?

Maia96

On the Ice
She has worked so hard trying to fix it, I think she will at best get a flat edge. It's better for her to concentrate on a 4S. Her loop is beautiful, could she do a 4loop?

Maybe. But we know that with a flat edge she'll be called equally when others with a flat edge are never called. :palmf:

soniagrandar

Rinkside
I believe trying a 4F will work out better. She's got good edge and height.
But if getting the 4S has been hard already, I can't imagine including one more quad.

Instead of adding more jumps, she could master what she has so far and get good GOE.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe trying a 4F will work out better. She's got good edge and height.
But if getting the 4S has been hard already, I can't imagine including one more quad.

Instead of adding more jumps, she could master what she has so far and get good GOE.

Good GOE is most important. I still think she will get a quad, just not sure which one. 4F could be the one.

Maia96

On the Ice
Good GOE is most important. I still think she will get a quad, just not sure which one. 4F could be the one.

Yes but unfortunately the judges only give high goes for quads (even if they aren't even quads) and 3A.

You can have amazing triples and combos and you don't get high goes. For example Zhenya's 3S3Lo. The goe should definitely be higher.

With today's rules and unfair evaluations it's impossible compete. So it isn't strange that there are athletes who lose motivation.