Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1457 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Evgenia needs a co coach from CKSA in Russia. With the pandemic she should train in Moscow some. Maybe Samarin's coach.
Or during the Olympic year, Misha Ge choreographs her short program and is her co coach. He was great at 2019 Worlds and he needs to be with her at Russian Nationals. He's very calm and it keeps her calm.

Maia96

On the Ice
Orser has changed quite a bit since the days when he pleaded loyalty to Kim due to mere rumors that he might coach a rival skater from another country. I guess I don't blame him for wanting to take control and not be influenced by any skater in his management decisions. I know he did ask Javier about coaching Hanyu but I don't think he asked Hanyu when he considered taking on Boyang Jin. And Hanyu is his star student. I doubt he really factored in Evgenia's opinions in this matter. Rika isn't a rival for a spot on the national team but she is a rival for OGM, which is what Evgenia really wants no? I mean it is the one thing she lacks and she joined TCC because she believed it would give her the best chance to reach her goal. The Javi and Hanyu situation is different from Evgenia's because neither of them were world champions or olympic medalists at the time. As I mentioned in another thread, this would have been drastically different if Hanyu was training with Patrick Chan or Nathan Chen. Sure, competition can be good and it has worked like in ice dance recently. But it can also be very stressful and depending on the skater, it might backfire. Yagudin and Plushenko did not work in the long term. I dunno. I think it might be best for her to start searching for another coach. She deserves to have a coach who can dedicate full time to her training.

I agree with you. And as I said in a previous post "the question of asking a skater what she/he think about the arrival of another skater to her/his training base to decide whether to accept that other skater or not seems just a formality. What skater would say to his/her coach "Don't accept such a skater because I would feel uncomfortable"? And if he/she did, and his/her coach decided not to accept the other skater, how would the relationship between the skater and his/her coach be after that? At least, that relationship would be worn out and the trust between one and the other would no longer be the same". Also, in the case that he had consulted her what she thought I would like to know how that conversation was because it was clearly that wasn't face to face. Zhenya left Canada in late March, and the arrangement with Rika appears to have been after that date.

So I agree with you about I don't think that he cared about Zhenya's opinion and that this situation isn't similar about Javier and Yuzuru. And as I said in a previous post "this situation isn't similar to the situation about Yuzuru and Javier and therefore it wouldn't be so beneficial for Zhenya. Javier was a skater from a country where figure skating is a minor sport, with a federation that supported him 100% and potentially with the aim of obtaining an Olympic medal but not necessarily the OGM. So the arrival of Yuzuru and the 2 Yuzuru OGM wouldn't affect him. Instead, Zhenya came to Orser as a star, coming from a country where figure skating is one of the most popular sports, aiming for the only gold missing, the Beijing Olympic Gold, then Pyongyang pain and with a federation that today clearly doesn't support her. So there are two completely different situations".

I only could understand his decision if Zhenya had told him that she no longer trains with him and as far as we know he is still her coach.

Imagine if the time has come and Zhenya is among the top 3 Russian skaters with chances to go to Beijing. Do you think the federation is going to send an athlete who at the same time is trained by a coach who trains one of their main rivals for the OGM?

In addition, if there is something that we have observed these last two seasons is that if Zhenya isn't psychologically well this affects her in the competition.

I also think that she should have a coach who takes care 100% of her and not one who also trains a potential rival in case she goes to Beijing or just other minor competitions. It's a shame that she can't change now and doing it next season would be very risky. Orser's move was very good for him and Zhenya will keep him for better or worse. Of course, she won't say anything wrong, and what she think and feels will keep it for her. So it was with EG and I don't think she acted differently now. In addition, we cannot forget that one of her main sources of income is Japanese shows and any action or word of her about this situation could be frowned upon in Japan and could affect the contract of shows in that country.

Ballade88

On the Ice
I agree with you. And as I said in a previous post "the question of asking a skater what she/he think about the arrival of another skater to her/his training base to decide whether to accept that other skater or not seems just a formality. What skater would say to his/her coach "Don't accept such a skater because I would feel uncomfortable"? And if he/she did, and his/her coach decided not to accept the other skater, how would the relationship between the skater and his/her coach be after that? At least, that relationship would be worn out and the trust between one and the other would no longer be the same". Also, in the case that he had consulted her what she thought I would like to know how that conversation was because it was clearly that wasn't face to face. Zhenya left Canada in late March, and the arrangement with Rika appears to have been after that date.

So I agree with you about I don't think that he cared about Zhenya's opinion and that this situation isn't similar about Javier and Yuzuru. And as I said in a previous post "this situation isn't similar to the situation about Yuzuru and Javier and therefore it wouldn't be so beneficial for Zhenya. Javier was a skater from a country where figure skating is a minor sport, with a federation that supported him 100% and potentially with the aim of obtaining an Olympic medal but not necessarily the OGM. So the arrival of Yuzuru and the 2 Yuzuru OGM wouldn't affect him. Instead, Zhenya came to Orser as a star, coming from a country where figure skating is one of the most popular sports, aiming for the only gold missing, the Beijing Olympic Gold, then Pyongyang pain and with a federation that today clearly doesn't support her. So there are two completely different situations".

I only could understand his decision if Zhenya had told him that she no longer trains with him and as far as we know he is still her coach.

Imagine if the time has come and Zhenya is among the top 3 Russian skaters with chances to go to Beijing. Do you think the federation is going to send an athlete who at the same time is trained by a coach who trains one of their main rivals for the OGM?

In addition, if there is something that we have observed these last two seasons is that if Zhenya isn't psychologically well this affects her in the competition.

I also think that she should have a coach who takes care 100% of her and not one who also trains a potential rival in case she goes to Beijing or just other minor competitions. It's a shame that she can't change now and doing it next season would be very risky. Orser's move was very good for him and Zhenya will keep him for better or worse. Of course, she won't say anything wrong, and what she think and feels will keep it for her. So it was with EG and I don't think she acted differently now. In addition, we cannot forget that one of her main sources of income is Japanese shows and any action or word of her about this situation could be frowned upon in Japan and could affect the contract of shows in that country.

I think Orser was greatly affected by the split with Kim and don't want to get binded to any one student out of loyalty ever again. I can understand where he is coming from but this decision is a bit harsh for Evgenia. It's a pity that Rafael stated that he did not want to train Russian skaters because I think it could be a great choice. They speak the same language and share the culture. He also doesn't have a top female skater at the moment. I think Rafael is underrated as a coach. He has less success than Orser but he has always supported his skaters and done very well in managing skaters well into their twenties.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always wanted Raf to be her coach. And I think he would have taken her in 2018. I wish he would take her now.

Ballade88

On the Ice
This is might be my bias because Rafael coached some of my favorite skaters ever (Michelle and Mao), but I think he's a great coach because he champions his skaters but is also very honest at the same time. He has also shown to be patient and supportive of skaters who have very strong personalities, like Ashley Wagner. He has also shown success with female skaters in their twenties (Michelle, Ashley, Mariah Bell), which is something I haven't yet seen from Orser. Kim left Orser when she was 19. He hasn't had much success with female skaters since then. Gabrielle Daleman was mainly coached by Lee Barkell, and she was at best inconsistent. In my opinion, skaters who struggle to obtain success don't thrive at TCC. Elizabet, Adam Rippon, and Christina Gao are all examples of skaters that I think Orser just gave up on in the end. I think he is kinda like Tarasova in that he is seen as the "champion" coach and wants to attract skaters of that type. Evgenia fitted that type perfectly back in 2018 but maybe not so much recently.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Really? So even if you are a permanent resident you can’t go back? I thought Canada loved non citizens

Permanent residents have always been allowed to come back to Canada, as long as they are coming to live/stay. If they want to come for a short visit, that is a different matter.

But Permanent Resident is an immigration category, for people who intend to stay permanently in Canada, and I doubt very much that Evgenia is a permanent resident. PR doesn't just mean someone who lives in Canada part or most of the year.

My last post was only addressing recent changes; they are minimal and AFAIK don't affect the non-Canadian skaters at TCC.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, although most of Ontario is moving to level 2, Toronto/Niagara are remaining at level one. The Cricket Club is still temporarily closed and all member activities are taking place on-line. No one is skating.

Cricket Club may still be closed, but elite skaters are back on the ice in the Toronto area.

Gabby Daleman, Nam Nguyen, and Roman Sadovsky have all posted about returning to the ice. It looks like they are (separately, each with their training mates and own coach) renting ice at Chesswood, multi-rink complex near Keele and Shepherd in NW Toronto.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
This whole post is exactly how I feel. She can't say anything against this situation.
I wish the Russian federation will say it's time to come home. Then it's not her decision.
Have any of you mabye thought about that h4 spoke with her and that she could be entirely ok with what's going on, it's not as if orser will be rikas main coach, her main and first coach is still her coach she has now. Mabye zhenya is acting like an adult and is ok with that decsision. Please stop behaving like you know zhenya personally or know how she feels or thinks at the very least zhenya is acting like a mature adult which I think at the moment can't be said of some in here if I read all of this. So rusfed should force her back to Russia,? Who would train her? A trainer she doesn't want? Yeah really great idea not!

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Fluture

Record Breaker
t zhenya is acting like a mature adult which I think at the moment can't be said of some in here

Hey, no need to get personal, we all care about Zhenya and want the best for her.

Now, I also don’t think it would do any good for RusFed to intervene in this. Having them forcefully return her to Russia would probably be worse than anything. It would be against her will and hurt her a lot mentally.

I also disagree she should change coaches. She chose Brian, she chose to trust him. As long as Zhenya trains under him, I will do my best to believe in the collaboration, even if, admittedly, the recent news have made me rethink some of his actions and words.

jhcorb01

Rinkside
Have any of you mabye thought about that h4 spoke with her and that she could be entirely ok with what's going on, it's not as if orser will be rikas main coach, her main and first coach is still her coach she has now. Mabye zhenya is acting like an adult and is ok with that decsision. Please stop behaving like you know zhenya personally or know how she feels or thinks at the very least zhenya is acting like a mature adult which I think at the moment can't be said of some in here if I read all of this. So rusfed should force her back to Russia,? Who would train her? A trainer she doesn't want? Yeah really great idea not!

Agreed. The anti-Orser talk is getting uncomfortable here, and none of us have any idea of the situation, and neither of us know them personally. Zhenya hates this kind of speculation, I'm sure.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Hey, no need to get personal, we all care about Zhenya and want the best for her.

Now, I also don’t think it would do any good for RusFed to intervene in this. Having them forcefully return her to Russia would probably be worse than anything. It would be against her will and hurt her a lot mentally.

I also disagree she should change coaches. She chose Brian, she chose to trust him. As long as Zhenya trains under him, I will do my best to believe in the collaboration, even if, admittedly, the recent news have made me rethink some of his actions and words.
Its not personal, but this is gettingnout of hand , this is her fanfest and just because orser will also be a secondary coach to rika, to read only negative post about that feels like this doesn't belong in her fanfest, certainly not the idea that rusfed should basically force her back to Russia . Mabye we can let this thema end? Let's see how it goes, we are here for zhenya but we do jot not how she feels about this, and it's as if some in here think that she sees that decsision negatively. Even if we do not know that because zhenya hasn't said anything about it.

Fluture

Record Breaker
As I think this place needs some positivity and all the recent news have made me more sad than anything.. here‘s some fun stuff:

Zhenya and Sima interaction under Sima‘s Instagram post. Zhenya‘s having her eye on Sima‘s Luna plushy! :laugh:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MedvedevaNation/status/1272167877643247622

Zhenya‘s picture of her with the Russian flag and a Gold medal was included in a popular Russian animation series. This is what the producer said about her:

"We would like to show respect to the young and hardworking athlete, the real pride of our figure skating- beautiful Evgenia Medvedeva. No doubts all kids know her pretty well.“

https://mobile.twitter.com/tccfsstan/status/1271884889630089216

Also, apparently a famous fashion designer liked pictures of Zhenya‘s costumes this season. The only skaters he follows are Gabriella Papadakis, Guillaume Cizeron and Zhenya. Pretty cool. :)

https://mobile.twitter.com/tccfsstan/status/1272534332637417474

And let‘s remember Javi‘s and Meryl‘s words about Zhenya.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tccfsstan/status/1270800149208580097

And something sweet at the end:

Zhenya and her grandmother. :luv17:

https://mobile.twitter.com/marr_1704/status/1271858394769559554

Last edited:

soniagrandar

Rinkside

I agree with you.
Zhenya has to act like a mature adult and continue with her training as usual. FS is not like tennis or other sport where you have a coach to yourself. This could have happened now or later on. I personally believe that she's grown up and matured since she left Russia. She knows her pros and cons and what's she's able to do. Of course she's aware of the hard competition ahead of her (she's trained with Sasha and Anna for a long time so she knows they could do 3A and quads for a long time already).
She wants to enjoy FS at her own way and pace. She's very competitive and I know she'll do everything she can to push herself to where she wants to be.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I agree with you.
Zhenya has to act like a mature adult and continue with her training as usual. FS is not like tennis or other sport where you have a coach to yourself. This could have happenend now or later on. I personally believe that she's grown up and mature since she left Russia. She nows her pros and cons and what's she's able to do. Of course she know the hard competition ahead of her (she's trained with Sasha and Anna for a long time so she knows they could do 3A and quads for a long time already). I don't think she wasn't aware of this.
She wants to enjoy FS at her own way and pace. She's very competitive and I know she'll do everything she can to push herself to where she wants to be.
And it seems people in this fanfest want to see only the bad side of what is happening but mabye it will also be a good thing for zhenya to at least have a female rival in her own group? I mean yes she has the boys/mans who are training with her but I think it may not be the same as having another girl that is on the same level or even slightly better than her.

How do I know thoughts? Because I understand the variables. 1. Personalities 2. Ambitions 3. Facts

You really think Zhenya is like “Yippee! My second coach in a row who has lost confidence in me! Hooray! Brian is splitting my time with one of my top rivals!! Yay!”

Get real, people. Show your support for Zhenya by being as pissed as she is right now

GS Forum Staff

Final Flight
Hello Zhenya Fans!

We know there are many opinions about the effect of Rika Kihira's move to TCC with regards to Zhenya, but please remember that the Fan Fest is a place for positivity, where you can "gush" about your favorite skaters. Please remember Fan Fest guidelines when posting:

The Fan Fest (FF) is a place for fans to celebrate and praise their favorite skaters—not a place to pick apart their technique, skills, etc. As always, be respectful to each other's threads when posting. Keep discussions in the respective threads and do not bring up other skaters with the intent to bash, debate, critique, and/or compare.

Opinions that are negative or critical may be expressed, within Forum guidelines, in the appropriate forums in the Edge.

Please continue to show your love and appreciation for Evgenia Medvedeva!:clap:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For one last time, Permanent Residence status in Canada is legal status, that is granted by the Government of Canada. It has nothing to do with how many residences someone has or how much time they spend in each.

Every country has every right to decide who they let into their country; the only exception is that every country is required to admit its own citizens.

So unless you think Evgenia is a Canadian citizen, Canada has every right to keep her out. Likewise, it has every right to admit her. It's the Government of Canada's choice, whatever posters might think.

Right now, the Government of Canada is admitting citizens, permanent residents, and their close relatives.

It is also admitting "essential" travellers which is where it gets murky. There is a long list of scenarios, with each assigned a status of "allow in", "allow in with 14-day self-isolation", and "deny admission". Agricultural workers are in the "allow in with 14-days" category as the result of lobbying from the farm sector. Students are also allowed in with 14-days isolation. People hoping to attend a funeral are in the "deny" category. I hope that someone will quietly lobby to have "elite figure skater training in Canada" added with "admit with 14-day isolation", but it wasn't on the (very long) list published on the CBC website.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
How do I know thoughts? Because I understand the variables. 1. Personalities 2. Ambitions 3. Facts

You really think Zhenya is like “Yippee! My second coach in a row who has lost confidence in me! Hooray! Brian is splitting my time with one of my top rivals!! Yay!”

Get real, people. Show your support for Zhenya by being as pissed as she is right now
That's not support what you are doing and no you can't know what she is feeling or thinking so stop. And it can do her good to have a female skater on her own level there. W