Figure Skating Back On Eurosport | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Back On Eurosport

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
With the start of the Senior GP Series now less than a week away, I decided to have a look at the listings on the Eurosport Player. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that the World Feed streams for Skate America are on there!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Whether this means that figure skating will return to Eurosport's linear TV channels remains to be seen. It's hard to tell with Skate America, because it usually didn't get LIVE coverage on the linear channels anyway due to all the segments being held in the middle of the night when the linear channels are off air.

We should know better when we reach the Asian and European events.

But, it would be great to be able to watch in the company of our beloved British Eurosport guys again!

CaroLiza_fan

British Eurosport (All times BST)

Saturday 24th October 2020
PLAY 00:00 – 01:45 Ladies Short LIVE
PLAY 02:00 – 03:40 Men’s Short LIVE
PLAY 03:40 – 05:00 Pairs Short LIVE
PLAY 05:20 – 07:00 Short Dance LIVE
PLAY 18:50 – 20:50 Ladies Free LIVE
PLAY 20:55 – 22:55 Men’s Free LIVE

Sunday 25th October 2020
PLAY 02:40 – 04:10 Pairs Free LIVE
PLAY 04:15 – 06:00 Free Dance LIVE

NOTE: This is all that is available on the British Eurosport Player at the moment. I will update the list in a few days, when there are more days available. (And, if it is still possible, add in other Eurosport versions).

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hooray! :cheer:

Do you think Chris and Simon will return or...can we look forward (?!) to the return of Paul Auster aka SBS Man aka The Great Jinx :laugh2:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Oh no, is it true for all of Europe? I much preferred our national TV coverage to the ridiculous 3-best-programs-interrupted-by-3-commercial-segments snippets Eurosport would broadcast. I guess the time has come to talk a tech savvy person to get me a VPN because I am under no illusion as to how much skating there will actually be on Eurosport, and how many long commercials I will have to suffer through. I'll never give them the money for the Player, to be able to watch for like, 14 more days only... not going to happen. I hated their commentators for my country, too.
Okay, better than no coverage of GP, but 50% worse than our national TV coverage, and 100% worse than archived ISU streams.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hooray! :cheer:

Do you think Chris and Simon will return or...can we look forward (?!) to the return of Paul Auster aka SBS Man aka The Great Jinx :laugh2:

I really hope Chris and Simon return, along with super-subs Catherine and Mark. (Given the travel restrictions, I am not sure whether Nicky would be able to get back to the UK to commentate. And I don't think broadcasting from his home in Canada would work, due to the time lag).

Paul has never been used by Eurosport before, so I doubt they would call on him now given the negative reaction to his commentary on the ISU YouTube channel last season. (Also, if he is still in Israel, he would have the same time lag problems as Nicky).

But, the streams on the ESP Player are usually the raw World Feed, with no commentary. So, we won't find out for sure unless we start getting coverage on their linear channels.

And for the sake of those with poor internet, I really hope that we get coverage on the linear channels come the events that have more European viewer friendly schedules.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh no, is it true for all of Europe? I much preferred our national TV coverage to the ridiculous 3-best-programs-interrupted-by-3-commercial-segments snippets Eurosport would broadcast. I guess the time has come to talk a tech savvy person to get me a VPN because I am under no illusion as to how much skating there will actually be on Eurosport, and how many long commercials I will have to suffer through. I'll never give them the money for the Player, to be able to watch for like, 14 more days only... not going to happen. I hated their commentators for my country, too.
Okay, better than no coverage of GP, but 50% worse than our national TV coverage, and 100% worse than archived ISU streams.

I have no idea. As it stands, all we know for sure is that there are streams of the raw World Feed coverage from Skate America on the Player.

The listings on the ESP Player and the Eurosport website only go 7 days into the future. But, I'll check again in a few days, as we will be able to see if any highlights programmes appear on their linear channels in the days after Skate America finishes.

If there aren't, we will have to wait until the events next month to find out what is happening, as the GP's in China and France did normally have LIVE coverage on Eurosport's linear channels.

CaroLiza_fan

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Our national Czech TV will broadcast Skate America nevertheless, and I hope also the other events.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Our national Czech TV will broadcast Skate America nevertheless, and I hope also the other events.

Ooh, they will?? I just automatically assumed Eurosport would buy rights for all of Europe as usual, and if Eurosport gets them then no national channel can air the GP. Well thank heavens I was mistaken. Sigh of relief! :coffee:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Ooh, they will?? I just automatically assumed Eurosport would buy rights for all of Europe as usual, and if Eurosport gets them then no national channel can air the GP. Well thank heavens I was mistaken. Sigh of relief! :coffee:
At least they have in the list of the broadcasted events so far. So I guess other local TVs can broadcast it too if they want and Eurosport doesn not have exclusivity.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

There are so many different possibilites as to what rights Eurosport has bought:

• It might be exclusive pan-European internet rights. (So, ISU YouTube channel coverage blocked in all of Europe)
  • It might be exclusive internet rights in certain countries. (So, ISU YouTube channel coverage blocked in those countries)
  • It might be exclusive UK and Ireland internet rights. (So, ISU YouTube channel coverage blocked in just the British Isles)

• It might be non-exclusive pan-European internet rights. (So, ISU YouTube channel coverage available all of in Europe)
  • It might be non-exclusive internet rights in certain countries. (So, ISU YouTube channel coverage available in those countries)
  • It might be non-exclusive UK and Ireland internet rights. (So, ISU YouTube channel coverage available in just the British Isles)

• It might be exclusive pan-European TV rights. (So, other TV broadcasters in Europe can't show it)
  • It might be exclusive TV rights in certain countries. (So, other TV broadcasters in those countries can't show it)
  • It might be exclusive UK and Ireland TV rights. (So, other TV broadcasters in the British Isles can't show it)

• It might be non-exclusive pan-European TV rights. (So, other TV broadcasters in Europe can show it)
  • It might be non-exclusive TV rights in certain countries. (So, other TV broadcasters in those countries can show it)
  • It might be non-exclusive UK and Ireland TV rights. (So, other TV broadcasters in the British Isles can show it)

Or it could be any combination of the above.

Whatever is happening, it will not become clear until we get more listings available. Or until Eurosport and / or the ISU put out a press release.

CaroLiza_fan

jvpiter

Rinkside
So far there’s nothing on the Portuguese Eurosport website, so they might only have bought rights in certain countries or they just haven’t updated the schedule here.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I knew it!!! When they started reporting news about Figure Skating in April and May after they had stopped in October, I knew they would be back.

I am so happy. Please let Petra, Siggi and Hendrick be back for German Eurosport
:dance3::dance3::dance3::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
So far there’s nothing on the Portuguese Eurosport website, so they might only have bought rights in certain countries or they just haven’t updated the schedule here.
Have you checked the website of the Eurosport player? I found the schedule for Skate America on the German Eurosportplayer website, but not on the normal Eurosport website. Maybe it is the same for Portugal.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Wow, that is rather surprising! Thanks for the headsup!

And very good timing indeed, as I was just this morning considering cancelling my annual continuous subscription to Eurosport! It ends early November (I think I have gotten three months extra for free because of corona). The reason I kept it until now was because I have a good deal on the annual fee and I’m an optimist who still thinks she’ll be able to see the Tokyo Olympics on the Player next year. ;-)

But if Eurosport Player has the ISU feed, I’m gonna stick with it, regardless.

It’ll be interesting to see if it also becomes available in other Player countries, and/or ISU youtube... I have NordVPN, so that takes care of any potential region-issues.

edit; Okay, so yes, the stream is also listed in the Dutch region version, so I guess that takes care of that. I’m totally sticking with that subscription now! 🥰

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Have you checked the website of the Eurosport player? I found the schedule for Skate America on the German Eurosportplayer website, but not on the normal Eurosport website. Maybe it is the same for Portugal.

Yep, Lunalovesskating is correct. Skate America is only being shown on the Eurosport Player, and because of this there is no figure skating mentioned in the listings on the main Eurosport website. But there is figure skating in the listings on the Eurosport Player website.

It has long been a complaint of mine that the listings pages on the two websites are not the same. At first, my gripe was that the listings on the main ESP website went 14 days into the future, whereas the listings on the ESP Player website only went 7 days. I thought they should both go 14 days into the future. ;) But they have since changed that, so that they now both only go 7 days into the future (boo, hiss). :bang:

My main gripe, though, is that the main Eurosport website listings only cover the linear channels, whereas the Eurosport Player listings cover the linear channels AND the additional streams. You would think it would be more effective at marketing the Player if the listings on the main website included everything, so that people that don't subscribe to the Player could see what they were missing out on.

Anyway, to find out if Skate America is being shown on the Player in Portugal, please use the link in the following quote of balabam's post:

And still no sign of the Pairs Free and the Free Dance. :drama: Unless they are being held later on in the day next Sunday.

As I said in the Skate America sub-forum earlier, I wish the coloured Time Schedule was available. At least then we would know if there was reason to be concerned that these segments aren't listed on the Player yet.

CaroLiza_fan

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
And still no sign of the Pairs Free and the Free Dance. :drama: Unless they are being held later on in the day next Sunday.

As I said in the Skate America sub-forum earlier, I wish the coloured Time Schedule was available. At least then we would know if there was reason to be concerned that these segments aren't listed on the Player yet.

CaroLiza_fan
I have Pairs FS and Free Dance listed (in my timezone):