Figure Skating Back On Eurosport | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Back On Eurosport

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Oh, this is great news! Then I will probably purchase Eurosport Player and watch the replay of Skate America the morning after. This is much cheaper then last year with Viaplay Total!
Nent group(viaplay etc) bought the rights for four years. So no Eurosport skating for the Nordic countries I presume. Yes, Viaplay is too expensive. Viafree is my hope for the few GP's that will be held.

Country
Norway
Nent group(viaplay etc) bought the rights for four years. So no Eurosport skating for the Nordic countries I presume. Yes, Viaplay is too expensive. Viafree is my hope for the few GP's that will be held.

Oh you are probably right :( Well, I hope they will stream it at Viafree. My concern is it will only be offered as livestream, and it won´t be possible to replay it. That will indeed be a problem with Skate America because of the time difference. I decided to purchase the Viaplay full package last year but with Skate Canada and IdF already being cancel I will not put my money at Viaplay this year.

But will Eurosport Player be geoblocked for the nordic countries? I get that they can´t broadcoast GP at the linear television in the nordic countries, but maybe the player won´t block out the official stream? Two years ago as I used the Player to watch GP I watched a live version without commentators, as it wasn´t set up at linear TV in my country.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Oh you are probably right :( Well, I hope they will stream it at Viafree. My concern is it will only be offered as livestream, and it won´t be possible to replay it. That will indeed be a problem with Skate America because of the time difference. I decided to purchase the Viaplay full package last year but with Skate Canada and IdF already being cancel I will not put my money at Viaplay this year.

But will Eurosport Player be geoblocked for the nordic countries? I get that they can´t broadcoast GP at the linear television in the nordic countries, but maybe the player won´t block out the official stream? Two years ago as I used the Player to watch GP I watched a live version without commentators, as it wasn´t set up at linear TV in my country.
I watched Viafree last season(GP, Euros, 4cc and Worlds) The stream was available for about 48 hours after the competitions. So let's hope :)

oaponice

Spectator
With the start of the Senior GP Series now less than a week away, I decided to have a look at the listings on the Eurosport Player. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that the World Feed streams for Skate America are on there!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Whether this means that figure skating will return to Eurosport's linear TV channels remains to be seen. It's hard to tell with Skate America, because it usually didn't get LIVE coverage on the linear channels anyway due to all the segments being held in the middle of the night when the linear channels are off air.

We should know better when we reach the Asian and European events.

But, it would be great to be able to watch in the company of our beloved British Eurosport guys again!

CaroLiza_fan

British Eurosport (All times BST)

Saturday 24th October 2020
PLAY 00:00 – 01:45 Ladies Short LIVE
PLAY 02:00 – 03:40 Men’s Short LIVE
PLAY 03:40 – 05:00 Pairs Short LIVE
PLAY 05:20 – 07:00 Short Dance LIVE
PLAY 18:50 – 20:50 Ladies Free LIVE
PLAY 20:55 – 22:55 Men’s Free LIVE

Sunday 25th October 2020
PLAY 02:40 – 04:10 Pairs Free LIVE
PLAY 04:15 – 06:00 Free Dance LIVE

NOTE: This is all that is available on the British Eurosport Player at the moment. I will update the list in a few days, when there are more days available. (And, if it is still possible, add in other Eurosport versions).
Does this mean that the ISU won’t be showing these events on YouTube? I have really enjoyed watching for free on YouTube and with the money saved got myself a new tv complete with the YouTube app. Don’t really want to go back to Eurosport after the way they let us down last time. Diana

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does this mean that the ISU won’t be showing these events on YouTube? I have really enjoyed watching for free on YouTube and with the money saved got myself a new tv complete with the YouTube app. Don’t really want to go back to Eurosport after the way they let us down last time. Diana

Sorry, oaponice, but Winnie_20's post has the confirmation that the streams on the ISU's YouTube channel will not be available to those of us in Eurosportland. The Free Dance video containing the playlist for Skate America is embedded, but the videos are coming up as follows:

"Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

So, the options for us are the Eurosport Player, illegal streams with dodgy popups, or nothing.

CaroLiza_fan

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Sorry, oaponice, but Winnie_20's post has the confirmation that the streams on the ISU's YouTube channel will not be available to those of us in Eurosportland. The Free Dance video containing the playlist for Skate America is embedded, but the videos are coming up as follows:

"Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

So, the options for us are the Eurosport Player, illegal streams with dodgy popups, or nothing.

CaroLiza_fan
So this means if I click on the embedded video and get no "Video unavailable" but rather a "Live in three days" message, the ISU stream should work for me? Interesting, cause last time I looked we definitely had Eurosport in Austria. Not complaining though :giggle:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
The German Eurosportplayer has Skate America listed yet ISU's Eurosport list does not include Germany. So I guess we can still watch the stream despite that?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Not sure whether VPN's work with the Eurosport Player any more. I know Hola used to work a few years ago, but I think it stopped working the last time the Player got an overhaul. But I can't check, as I didn't re-install it when we got a new computer.

So this means if I click on the embedded video and get no "Video unavailable" but rather a "Live in three days" message, the ISU stream should work for me? Interesting, cause last time I looked we definitely had Eurosport in Austria. Not complaining though :giggle:

Ooooh. Looks like they have missed Austria out. Let's all keep this quiet... ;)

I find it interesting that some countries that do have TV broadcasters have an asterix that says that the YouTube stream is also available. These are:

• Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
  • France
  • Lithuania
  • Macedonia
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Italy
  • Serbia

So, some of the countries where Eurosport will be showing the skating will also be able to get the ISU YouTube stream as well. But, just some.

By the way, the listings on the British Eurosport Player still don't go beyond Saturday. :mad:

CaroLiza_fan

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Can you post the link? I want to try for myself if I can watch the stream :)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Not sure whether VPN's work with the Eurosport Player any more.
I have NordVPN. I like to think it’s smart enough to get around any Eurosport Player blocks. Not sure how I could check that, though....

I find it interesting that some countries that do have TV broadcasters have an asterix that says that the YouTube stream is also available. These are:

• Netherlands

• So, some of the countries where Eurosport will be showing the skating will also be able to get the ISU YouTube stream as well. But, just some.
I don’t think that’s the case, at least not for the Netherlands. I get a region-block message on the ISU website of the little youtube viewer.

edit: yup. German IP address is fine for the ISU stream, but when I use a Dutch address, bam, blocked. Just goes to show we cannot trust the ISU to know what they’re talking about. ;-)

Last edited:

1111bm

Final Flight
Hm, but it's weird Germany doesn't even appear in the ISU where to watch list. :unsure: Is it maybe possible that the final decision hasn't been made and they may still block it, depending on what Eurosport will decide on?

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Hm, but it's weird Germany doesn't even appear in the ISU where to watch list. :unsure: Is it maybe possible that the final decision hasn't been made and they may still block it, depending on what Eurosport will decide on?
Hmm :unsure: I took the "Pan-European" statement for Eurosport to mean all countries across Europe (that can receive Eurosport) and then interpreted the following countries just as an exemplary list. But then it really is weird that the ISU stream doesn't seem to be blocked in Germany or Austria... Let's see what happens on Friday, in the worst case I will just use a VPN and watch the ISU stream from virtual Canada.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have NordVPN. I like to think it’s smart enough to get around any Eurosport Player blocks. Not sure how I could check that, though....

When I got the new computer, I didn't install Hola because of all the dodgyness connected with it. And although I've thought about getting an alternative, I don't think it would be worth it. For the past few years, the only time I have used a VPN is for doing out the TV schedule posts. I haven't actually used it to watch anything for a long time.

I don’t think that’s the case, at least not for the Netherlands. I get a region-block message on the ISU website of the little youtube viewer.

edit: yup. German IP address is fine for the ISU stream, but when I use a Dutch address, bam, blocked. Just goes to show we cannot trust the ISU to know what they’re talking about. ;-)

So, the ISU has made mistakes. Quelle surprise! :sarcasm:

Hmm :unsure: I took the "Pan-European" statement for Eurosport to mean all countries across Europe (that can receive Eurosport) and then interpreted the following countries just as an exemplary list. But then it really is weird that the ISU stream doesn't seem to be blocked in Germany or Austria... Let's see what happens on Friday, in the worst case I will just use a VPN and watch the ISU stream from virtual Canada.

I wonder if the ISU are still in discussions with other broadcasters in the German speaking countries (say, ARD and ORF), and that Eurosport won't know if they can show it on ESP Deutschland until those discussions are concluded. And the YouTube stream is available as an emergency measure in the meantime just in case a decision is not reached by Friday.

It might be worth keeping an eye on this page to see if an "Upcoming" section appears:

https://www.eurosport.de/watch/eiskunstlauf/

CaroLiza_fan

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Setting my VPN to france got the ISU livestream to work (was originally blocked on my normal UK setting) so that location works if you want to watch the youtube stream.

1111bm

Final Flight
Hmm :unsure: I took the "Pan-European" statement for Eurosport to mean all countries across Europe (that can receive Eurosport) and then interpreted the following countries just as an exemplary list.

Oh, I didn't actually read that 😅 I just checked for 'Germany' by search function. 😬

I wonder if the ISU are still in discussions with other broadcasters in the German speaking countries (say, ARD and ORF), and that Eurosport won't know if they can show it on ESP Deutschland until those discussions are concluded. And the YouTube stream is available as an emergency measure in the meantime just in case a decision is not reached by Friday.

That's what I fear. :(

Also wondering if the ISU stream will be non-commentary, which would make it a 1000 times better than any TV or pay option.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I wonder if the ISU are still in discussions with other broadcasters in the German speaking countries (say, ARD and ORF), and that Eurosport won't know if they can show it on ESP Deutschland until those discussions are concluded.
You are giving the ISU far too much credit. They're not in discussions. They just haven't got the foggiest what it is they're doing. :jump: