Foot injury knocks Gold out of Grand Prix Final | Golden Skate

Foot injury knocks Gold out of Grand Prix Final

NaVi

Medalist
Gracie Gold, who won her first Grand Prix gold medal last week at the NHK Trophy, has withdrawn from next week's Grand Prix Final because of a stress fracture in her left foot.
"Obviously, I am very disappointed that I have to withdraw from the Grand Prix Final," Gold said. "I'm proud that I qualified for the event, and I was so excited to visit Barcelona."
According to a U.S. Figure Skating press release, Gold will "continue training appropriately" while she recovers from her injury.
"My ultimate goals for this year are to win another U.S. title and make the podium at worlds," Gold said. "These are the factors that my team and I used to make this very difficult decision."
In addition to winning the title in Osaka, Japan, last week, Gold also took the bronze at 2014 Skate America in October.
She is expected to be replaced by Japan's Rika Hongo, who won the gold at the Rostelecom Cup and finished fifth at Skate Canada.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/12/04/103145112

This makes the ladies final a little less interesting...

tulosai

Record Breaker
oh, I am so sorry to hear this! It sounds like she is taking a sensible approach to recovery though, which is a very good thing.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Oh man, sad for her. :/ She definitely made the right call; I hope she recovers well.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh my... Who could have thought... Get well soon, Gracie!
Now that Japan has a lady in GPF. :drama: wow...

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Oh no :no: And I finally started to like her. Just a little bit...:no:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I think maybe she doesn't want to compete and lose to Russians? Because a stress fracture doesn't develop suddenly.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think maybe she doesn't want to compete and lose to Russians? Because a stress fracture doesn't develop suddenly.

You can't withdraw from GPF unless you have a valid injury. I'm sure Gracie had to show proof. Plus by WD she loses out on prize money.

Or perhaps it didn't develop suddenly.

Alba

Record Breaker

I don't think so. Gracie is very talented and very good skater.
The way I see it she is the only serious threat to the russian girls and I could see her very well get a medal here.

Meoima

Match Penalty
You can't withdraw from GPF unless you have a valid injury. I'm sure Gracie had to show proof. Plus by WD she loses out on prize money.
Or perhaps it didn't develop suddenly.
Agree. I don't think Gracie is afraid of competing, even though she's often nervous in competition. not to mention prize money for GPF is not small. I do think her leg is injured.
Get well soon, Gracie! And defend the national title.

noskates

Record Breaker

Oh please! That's a load of ####. And it's demeaning and disrespectful to imply that a skater will develop an injury to avoid competition. And if I remember correctly she just BEAT a Russian last weekend. Do you also think if she wins US Nats that she'll withdraw from Worlds as well? Thinking like this just makes me angry that people can attack someone on the internet anonymously!!!

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I didn't claim that she is not injured. But the girl competed a week ago at NHK, if there is a stress fracture she must have pain there too. She still went to the ice, competed and actually won the competition. Mine was just a hypothesis that this time competition is bigger and she doesn't want to risk the results. Of course she might be withdrawn not to cause the fracture to get bigger.

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh gee. Do ya think? That maybe, just maybe she isn't competing because she doesn't want to make the injury worse? What a concept!

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Oh please! That's a load of ####. And it's demeaning and disrespectful to imply that a skater will develop an injury to avoid competition. And if I remember correctly she just BEAT a Russian last weekend. Do you also think if she wins US Nats that she'll withdraw from Worlds as well? Thinking like this just makes me angry that people can attack someone on the internet anonymously!!!

Calm down there. I don't attack her anyway.
If she wants to be the number one at World Championships, she has the right to behave strategically. It's not a bad thing, I'm not blaming anyone. And I don't claim that Gracie can not beat all the Russians. She lost to Radionova and Tuktamysheva on home ice. Considering her inconsistency and nerves, probably would lose to them at GPF too. This would make Elena and Liza more of a favorite to win Worlds, right?