Frank Carroll to Assist with Team USA Mentoring Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Frank Carroll to Assist with Team USA Mentoring Program

humbaba

Final Flight
Golden, loving all these links, but loving mostly the photo of Chase profiling with the Gold twins. It doesn't look like Gracie resents his presence.

Wow...Carly and Gracie look fantastic in that photo. And Chase is a handsome guy too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Junior lady Paige Rydberg worked with Frank Carroll today. (She is based in Illinois.)

paigeyskates12
Had an amazing time today working with Frank Carroll!! Thank so much @usfigureskating for the amazing opportunityđź’•
http://instagram.com/p/ujYP3HJ9xb/ (Oct 24)​

She was the 2014 bronze medalist among junior ladies at the U.S. Challenge Skate in SLC. No international experience yet.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I wish the USFSA would do a bit more to promote Denney and Frazier. They were the Silver Medalists at Skate America and are certainly as deserving as the other medalists to have a feature written about them.

I'm guessing that Haven Denney is related to Caydee Denney in some way. Are they sisters ? Forgive me for not knowing if that's old news but, as the highest placing US Pair at Skate America, you'd think they'd have pictures and features everywhere.

rosacotton

Final Flight
I'm guessing that Haven Denney is related to Caydee Denney in some way. Are they sisters ? Forgive me for not knowing if that's old news but, as the highest placing US Pair at Skate America, you'd think they'd have pictures and features everywhere.

Yes, Haven is Caydee's sister.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wish the USFSA would do a bit more to promote Denney and Frazier. They were the Silver Medalists at Skate America and are certainly as deserving as the other medalists to have a feature written about them.

The fact that Haven is Caydee's younger sister has been much discussed in skating coverage over the years.

And I don't think Haven and Brandon are being ignored. They have been recognized as rising stars for years as well. The recent addition of Steuer to their coaching team has gotten lots of attention, for example.

During his commentary for one of IceNetwork's backstage shows at Skate America, Coughlin spoke very enthusiastically about the special excitement that Caydee and he naturally were feeling as Haven/Brandon competed so well.

Etc., etc.

BTW, Golden Skate itself recently published an article about Haven and Brandon, IIRC.

No law says that any skater has to be active on social media, but to draw a contrast:

I think one of the reasons Carly and Gracie Gold receive a lot of attention as twins is that they share lots of photos and messages about their activities together. Carly tweeted at least several times about Gracie competing at Skate America -- cheering her on, and even showing Frank Carroll's reaction to Gracie's SP spin, for example.

Caydee tweets very rarely in general, and I don't think she posted anything at all about Haven competing at Skate America. Haven does not have a Twitter account, AFAIK.

Max Aaron is not a super-frequent tweeter either, but he did give a shout-out to his sister Maddie on the occasion of Skate America -- making her GP debut with Max Settlage in pairs.

The Denneys seem to like to keep a low profile. Nothing wrong with that. But it means that they are not giving the media any family "color" to latch onto.​

mrrice

Record Breaker
The fact that Haven is Caydee's younger sister has been much discussed in skating coverage over the years.

And I don't think Haven and Brandon are being ignored. They have been recognized as rising stars for years as well. The recent addition of Steuer to their coaching team has gotten lots of attention, for example.

During his commentary for one of IceNetwork's backstage shows at Skate American, Coughlin spoke very enthusiastically about the special excitement that Caydee and he naturally were feeling as Haven/Brandon competed so well.

Etc., etc.

BTW, Golden Skate itself recently published an article about Haven and Brandon, IIRC.

No law says that any skater has to be active on social media, but to draw a contrast:

I think one of the reasons Carly and Gracie Gold receive a lot of attention as twins is that they share lots of photos and messages about their activities together. Carly tweeted at least several times about Gracie competing at Skate America -- cheering her on, and even showing Frank Carroll's reaction to Gracie's SP spin, for example.

Caydee tweets very rarely in general, and I don't think she posted anything at all about Haven competing at Skate America. Haven does not have a Twitter account, AFAIK.

Max Aaron is not a super-frequent tweeter either, but he did give a shout-out to his sister Maddie on the occasion of Skate America -- making her GP debut with Max Settlage in pairs.

The Denneys seem to like to keep a low profile. Nothing wrong with that. But it means that they are not giving the media any family "color" to latch onto.​

Thanks for the info Golden411. I truly appreciate it when someone with knowledge about the situation is so nice and helpful. You'd think after being around as long as I have that I would know the Denney's were sisters. Hello Google...... I guess I just like hearing it from the people on this site as they always give interesting and more in depth information.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... You'd think after being around as long as I have that I would know the Denney's were sisters. ...

FYI, mrrice :):

I added a post to the Haven/Brandon fan thread with a nice quote from Caydee about cheering for her sister at Skate America.

And see post #3 of the fan thread for the USOC website's feature about Haven/Brandon's success at Skate America. Not too shabby. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
While in twilight of career, Carroll still going strong
Sage coach now lends time to other skaters as part of mentor program

Posted 11/3/14
by Nick McCarvel
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/11/03/99975756

Mini-excerpt:
[Carroll has] committed to both the U.S. ladies champion and Ten this spring for another four years and the Pyeongchang Olympics -- where he'll be closing in on 79.
"I certainly have no intention of stopping as long as [Gracie and Denis] want to go on," Carroll said. "I wouldn't abandon them. I made the commitment, and I will stick with it."

ETA, take #2 on the mini-excerpt (now quoting the first sentence in entirety, and adding emphasis) -- in order to be crystal clear that Carroll is referring specifically to Gracie Gold, and not to anyone else who might become U.S. ladies champion. "Ten" of course refers to Denis Ten.
He picked up Gracie Gold at the 11th hour, just a few months before the 2014 Olympic Games, and committed to both the U.S. ladies champion and Ten this spring for another four years and the Pyeongchang Olympics -- where he'll be closing in on 79.
"I certainly have no intention of stopping as long as [Gracie and Denis] want to go on," Carroll said. "I wouldn't abandon them. I made the commitment, and I will stick with it."

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"committed to both the "US Ladies Champion" ? and Ten......"??????

The quote above means that Carroll is committed specifically to Gold. (It does NOT mean that he would be committed to anyone else who might happen to become U.S. ladies champion.)

"U.S. ladies champion" was being used as a synonym for Gold. The first part of the sentence (which I originally did not quote) refers to Gold by name, so McCarvel was avoiding repetition and used a synonym for her later in the same sentence.
I will go back and edit my post to include the full sentence to avoid confusion. (Did not anticipate any confusion.)

Hope this post answers your first question, Icey.

Can't tell what (if anything) you are questioning about Ten.

Icey

Record Breaker
I figured that, but still found it odd, as posted, that they used Ten's name but not Gold's. Stated that way left it open to other interpretations.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Add Sean Rabbitt and Leah Keiser to the list of those who have worked with Carroll, per the photo they tweeted today.

Shotaro Omori also is the photo, so presumably he too belongs on the list.
ETA: sho_omori definitely belongs on the list. I hadn't seen his own Instagram with Carroll a few days earlier.

Stupid question:
Who is the second young lady in the photo?? Karen Chen??​
ETA, update: According to responses in another thread, she is not Karen Chen. Anyone know who the fourth skater with Carroll is?​

Last edited: