Golden Globes | Golden Skate

Golden Globes

Lcp88

On the Ice
"Somewhere in this favored land stars are shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout
But there is no joy in the GS Forum (at least from this poster), for "Big Fish" and Tim Burton have struck out..."

:( Disapointed for Big Fish/Danny Elfman/Tim Burton, but O well, the remake of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is due out in 2005...

Other Random comments:

1. Sarah Jessica Parkers dress was hideous, IMO. She needs a better designer.

2. YAY LOST IN TRANSLATION!!!! I was really happy that won all that it did. It was one of Bill Murrays best.

3. Johnny Depp and Jude Law are hot. <fans herself> I wasn't expecting Johnny to look as good as he did tonight but...wow. Same with Jude...vvvveeeeerrrrrrryyyyy handsome....

4. Gwen Stafani and Scarlett Johansen look very similar.

Okay, those were all over the place, more later :)....
Laura

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Great to see "Angels In America" recognized, and Frances Conroy for "Six Feet Under".

Bad fashion choices, IMO:

Was Nicole Kidman dressed by an ice dancer? Fake flesh brought to a new low.

Diane Keaton looked like she had joined the clergy.

Gwen Stefani stole the bride of Frankenstein's hair.

Not one of JLo's best looks.

Agree with you Lcp88 about Sarah Jessica, looked like something Carrie would wear. The other gals from the city looked much better than her tonight.

Loved the green dress the lady from NBC who did the pre and post show had on.

Brittany Murphy looked great

nysk8r

Rinkside
I'm just glad that 24 won for best drama series... I was just dying for Kiefer Sutherland to get on that stage somehow!

I'm kinda sad that Scarlett Johannsen didn't win- she went in with two noms, left with nuthin' :( . But this was really a breakthrough year for her, and if she keeps doing these great films she bound to get recognized by winning one of them funny-shaped statues.

Other side notes:
- Jim Carrey's bald head: :eek:
- Jude Law: :love:
- Bill Murray's speech: :D (How come there are so many funny Canadians?)

That is all- I'm sleepy.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I only saw a little bit of it... how ironic that Nicole almost had to give Tom Cruise an award! :rolleye: :laugh:

I was also bummed that Big Fish didn't get a lot of recognition, but I figured LOTR would win for Best Picture

Ewan so deserved some recognition for his part in that movie... he was awesome LOL

Rixis

On the Ice
I didn't watch it, I was watching "Mask of Zorro", but I was reading the highlights this morning, and the British guy seemed to have said something pretty funny like "I come from Britain...we ruled the world first" or something like that, also, Jim Carrey looked fun-kay! I haven't seen any of the movies that won the big awards so I can't comment.

guinevere

Final Flight
I was so happy about Lost in Translation's awards, although I would not have called it a 'comedy', myself (but if that's what it took to get them Best Picture ({b/c NOTR was definitely gonna win Best Drama}, and Best Actor, I'm ok with it).

I really wish Holly Hunter had won Best Supporting Actress for Thirteen. Both she and Evan Rachel Wood were simply amazing in that movie. And I despise Renee Zellweger. I'm hoping that things will go as usual, and her Golden Globe win will ensure that she does NOT win an Oscar (though I'm sure she'll be nominated, sigh).

Yea for '24' finally winning Best Drama series!! I also wish that Keifer would get recognized, but I am glad that the series finally won. Anyone notice how incredibly short Elisha Cuthbert is?

Yea for The Office winning as well - I haven't seen it, but heard it's hilarious. 2 great speeches from Rick Gervais (Rixis - he said "I come from a small island called England - a long time ago, we ruled the world for a year").

Lookin' Good: Christina Ricci, Meryl Streep (cute cocktail dress!), Brittany Murphy, Uma Thurman, Sharon Stone, Jude Law (incapable of looking anything but perfect IMO)

Yikes: Nicole Kidman, Mary Louise-Parker (she thanked her 1 month old son for 'making her boobs look so good' in her dress right after I commented on how terrible and tacky she looked), Gwen Stefani's hair (dress looked ok). I'm sure there are many more, but I have blocked them out at present.....

guinevere

jenny12

Rinkside
Highlight of the night for me was Bill Murray's speech. It was
refreshing to hear an actor who knew expressions other than
"thank you".

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I watched it and loved it! What's up with Renee Z. She looked like her girdle was too tight and she couldn't breathe. (I know she had to gain weight for her next movie, something I think is beyond the call of duty for an actress or actor.) I felt badly for her, she looked so uncomfortable........

Very glad that LOTR won four very deserving awards, a tribute to all three movies.......

I missed Bill Murray's speech........the phone rang and I was pulled away.........can anyone give the gist of it? Thanks.....42

Bill was typicallyt laid back. Sometimes his humor doesn't hit you till a week later and you suddenly burst out laughing.

It was a good show. Less intense than the Oscars. I think the tables are more fun than the rows of seats. That's the big difference. They are not exactly sipping water at those tables.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was very happy for Bill Murray - he did a fine acting job in "Lost in Translation." He was very entertaining in his acceptance speech as well!

I was also thrilled for Tim Robbins - I saw "Mystic River" his performance was awesome. Well deserved!!!!