Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2021-22 Announced

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Interesting that Japan didn’t seem to mind putting their very top skaters (minus Yuma) together in NHK for both men and ladies (Yuzuru and Shoma, Kaori and Rika). Even without NHK, they would’ve been guaranteed a second spot elsewhere and one of the host spots for each could’ve been used for skaters who needed them more.

I guess for ladies they just really wanted their national champion to be there but since Kaori was the only seeded skater they wanted her too? But for mens, I really can’t understand…:confused: Yes, Yuzuru and Shoma were not in the same seeds but surely they could have still separated the two? Since they needed to have either Yuma or Yuzuru at NHK, they could’ve had Shoma elsewhere and I don’t think there would’ve been a problem with that.
Because Nathan picked SCI as one of his two events, Shoma doubling up with either Yuma or Yuzuru at one of his events was unavoidable, as Keegan was host-picked as the second-tier seed for SCI. So that being the case, they went for the biggest show for the home crowd.

The only way for the JSF to completely separate its three seeded men would have involved Nathan not picking SCI or Rostelecom.

MaHa75

On the Ice
They have obviously taken the SB list from season 2019-2020 into account. My guess is that they merged last season with 19-20 season. That would explain why both Samsonov and Sinitsyna got 2 assignments as they were both high on that list, and they didn't compete at all last season.
Yes you are right! Also Kurakowa got 2 assigments thanks to this 24 sb list. She is not in best 24 ws. But i dont think its fare enough to take 2 years old result. And Kurakowa earn this season best in home challenger Warssaw cup. And this was the only successful comp in last years. She didnt qualified even to WC free skate.

And i am dissapointed that ISU has not changed the host spot system.

In Canada, france and Cihina these athletes otherwise never got assigments and its not fare for stronger athletes.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And i am dissapointed that ISU has not changed the host spot system.

In Canada, france and Cihina these athletes otherwise never got assigments and its not fare for stronger athletes.
He who pays the piper calls the tune. If federations are going to pay to host these events, that comes with benefits for their athletes.

MaHa75

On the Ice
He who pays the piper calls the tune. If federations are going to pay to host these events, that comes with benefits for their athletes.
Yes i know that money talks and stronger skaters from small federation never get the same attention and experience! This is sad!

But at least there should be some criteria for using host spot. In World Standings or SB list at least in 50 place.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Samsonov's PB is 250.01, which is above Mozalev and Gumennik's, so it's totally fair that he got 2 assignments. Petr is my fav so I'm so sad he didn't get 2 assignments but there's nothing to be done about it, unless he has a great outing at CoC and gets the Rostelecom host spot. Daniil is also my fav so I'm so happy he got 2 events! I can't believe he is senior already. I hope he is able to perform the best he can at both events <3

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Samsonov's PB is 250.01, which is above Mozalev and Gumennik's, so it's totally fair that he got 2 assignments. Petr is my fav so I'm so sad he didn't get 2 assignments but there's nothing to be done about it, unless he has a great outing at CoC and gets the Rostelecom host spot. Daniil is also my fav so I'm so happy he got 2 events! I can't believe he is senior already. I hope he is able to perform the best he can at both events <3
If Mozalev and Gumennik compete and do well at the early Challengers before the GPs, they will climb the Replacement List and get a 2nd spot in case of any wd at SA.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes i know that money talks and stronger skaters from small federation never get the same attention and experience! This is sad!

But at least there should be some criteria for using host spot. In World Standings or SB list at least in 50 place.
Why?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Random thoughts:

I think it'll be very hard for Sinitsyna to show up that ready after a year out from competitions, we'll see at the test skate what's her shape. Other than that, Russia is still looking very strong in Ladies, they can once again win all GP events.

Rino Matsuike really has to hope for that third spot at NHK, she's very good but Rostelecom is not the competition where they'll throw gifts to her. While to me Kaori should have aimed at that Skate Canada spot more than Skate America, but she can medal in that field in US.

Interestingly enough Alysa Liu has Skate Canada and NHK just like Gracie Gold in her senior debut season.

With the Men assignments, everything is set for Kagiyama to become the new star of figure skating, he can win both GP events without Hanyu and Chen, Kolyada could be his big threat at Cup of China but only if he adds a new quad (either Lutz or Salchow), maybe even Aliev if he gets back in shape for real, that's a big if tho. Gumennik could be a big surprise, he can medal at Cup of China and then get that third spot at Rostelecom.

Samsonov in seniors feels like a quick cash-in, pretending it's happening even when it isn't. I think this could be a costly mistake for him and for the Federation, they won't give him the components immediately in seniors, and if you fall on a 3A and a quad (especially when you don't have many quads) you'll pay the price higher in seniors as a newcomer. Could end up being an Erokhov 2.0 situation, WD from anything after the first failed competition. Potentially a make or break for his career that early, to me it feels like yet another giant waste.

Skate America judging is usually very conservative, partially because it's the first competition so i'm not sure if that was the best choice for Grassl either. Danielian also has been a late bloomer in the past season, so i'm not expecting much from him there.

Messing could get that silver medal at Skate Canada again, i can see him, Chen and Brown on the podium at that event.

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I feel like the JSF decided to just have one big, epic competition at NHK Trophy after learning that Shoma would have to skate with Yuzuru/Yuma at one event. I mean, Dai/Kana, Riku/Ryuichi, Kaori, and Rika? Plus three more spots? That will certainly be competition to behold. But it's possible for Japan to get a lot of medals here: Yuzu and Shoma can go 1-2, in ladies, the real competition for Rika/Kaori will be Daria, Sasha Trusova, and Young You, which isn't nearly as bad as SC or some of the other events, and in pairs, Riku/Ryuichi could take a medal, especially if they keep on improving. Plus, I have a feeling the ice dance event will be packed just because of Dai. I would love to go... I'm sure the atmosphere would be just incredible.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Yes, they definitely knew where P/C were going. S/K originally wanted China as their first event, but aren't there because P/C are.
I’m not surprised they put S/B against P/C rather than S/K but I wonder if they knew that C/B would be there too? Just seems a strange choice to not give your 2nd best team a shot at the Grand Prix final when it’s an Olympic year. It’s not like Z/G are on S/B’s heels or anything!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting that Aliona and TJ; that other American pirs team who won nats and then seemed to pull out and Gabby Daleman have no gp spots. Gracie Gold still has a shot. Stepanova and Bukin seemed to have got the short end of the stick. If body of work is a criteria Gabby in particular seems to be in trouble if she hopes of going to Beiing.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I had hoped for Lindsay van Zundert and Josefin Taljegard to have gotten assignments, but although I don't know about Josefin, I do know that Lindsay was in Juniors in 2019-2020, and her break through came in that strange last season so probably not applicable at this time.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If Mozalev and Gumennik compete and do well at the early Challengers before the GPs, they will climb the Replacement List and get a 2nd spot in case of any wd at SA.
Still my heart!!! Not that I would want any withdrawals. SkAm men line up is a dream.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The host makes the choice from the replacement list. If there were a vacancy at SA, there's no guarantee Mozalev or Gumennik would be picked to fill the spot. 17 spots have already been filled by Russian men, more than any other fed (13 for JPN, 12 for US).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The host makes the choice from the replacement list. If there were a vacancy at SA, there's no guarantee Mozalev or Gumennik would be picked to fill the spot. 17 spots have already been filled by Russian men, more than any other fed (13 for JPN, 12 for US).
Yes, there is no guarantee. The host can pick anyone of the top 10 from the list (I think?). But if the host federation is fair they would pick the one highest on the replacement list.