Hersh on Plushenko/Russian Natls Scoring | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hersh on Plushenko/Russian Natls Scoring

plushyta

On the Ice
So the war is on. Started from certain coach and the medias. So what?!:laugh: Bring them on, it's a great show on and off ice.:rofl:
Like you said: war in MEDIAS, not on ice ... and there does not "fair fight" :cool:

EDIT: I find this text right now... finally, one "normal" man ;)
http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/abbott-says-plushenko-is-just-another-competitor/
January 4, 2010, 8:06 pm, By JULIET MACUR

Abbott Says Plushenko is ‘Just Another Competitor’

Jeremy Abbott, the 2009 United States national figure skating champion, isn’t intimidated by the Russian skater Yevgeny Plushenko.

So what if Plushenko, 27, is headed for his third Olympics after winning a gold medal at the 2006 Turin Games and a silver medal at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games? And so what if Plushenko, in his first season after three years away from the sport, set world-best marks last month at the Russian national championship? Plushenko scored 271.59 points total, including 100.09 in his short program. Both marks are unofficial world records because the International Skating Union doesn’t count national events in its record books.

“Scores at nationals across the world are always inflated; it’s always kind of that way, it’s always kind of been that way,” Abbott said Monday, on a teleconference in advance of the United States figure skating national championships that start in Spokane, Wash., next week. The nationals will serve as the Olympic trials for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

“The judges are all from your country who all want to push you up and help you,” Abbott said of the scoring at nationals....

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
A lot of Europeans train in NA too, so what;s your point. Whatever they prefer, they never whine when things don't go their way. That's what makes me think.

Under dictionary definition of "sour grapes" it says: SEE Joubert, Brian. SEE Bonaly, Surya.

OK, technically Surya didn't whine about that silver medal...she went way beyond whining into High Drama.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The number of ridiculous posts in this thread is right up there with what you'd see some of the bot-driven threads. Guys, enough. Canada is not the source of all skating evil. Russia is not the source of all evil and politiks. French skaters/officials are not all a bunch of whiners and/or the cause of all skating corruption. NA is not some monolithic entity, and neither is Europe.

And finally, as Jeremy Abbott correctly pointed out, Plushenko's scores at Nats are absolutely meaningless. Hersh is wasting his time and ours with all this drama.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Under dictionary definition of "sour grapes" it says: SEE Joubert, Brian. SEE Bonaly, Surya.

OK, technically Surya didn't whine about that silver medal...she went way beyond whining into High Drama.

:laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Upon second thought, I couldn't leave this without a response. A browse through the GS archives yielded this from Brian Joubert:
"I think the new judging system is still not good for the quad... I think figure skaters must try it. The quad is very important for the future of figure skating. Maybe they are going to change something (in the value of the quad)."
Joubert just couldn't handle losing to a quadless guy, could he?

Except this statement was made right after 2007 Worlds, which as we all know - he won. Some people take Joubert's comments about the quad as evidence of an unsportsmanlike attitude and all sorts of moral failings, and it's nothing of the sort. I feel like I should have this is auto-text, but Joubert always goes on about the quad, regardless of whether he wins, loses to a guy with a quad, or loses to a guy without a quad. He believes it's important that skaters do quads, and while one is certainly free to disagree with this view, it shouldn't be dismissed as "sour grapes".

Brian is ambitious and competitive, like all elite skaters, but he doesn't make a spectacle of himself if things don't go well.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
What a load of crap. Every national championships is overscored...every single one. That's why nationals scores are meaningless. Add to that the fact that Russian nationals has it's own bonus points available eg men trying quads, ladies trying 3/3s. It's a such a pointless blog. Where was the outcry at stephane's marks at Swiss nationals?

Ant

Surya Bonaly rocks! :rock: So does Irina Slutskaya, for throwing her 2002 silver medal into the garbage can. And Shae-lynn Bourne for stomping and screaming until they finally gave her a world championship. :laugh:

Do not go gently into that dark night. :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Upon second thought, I couldn't leave this without a response. A browse through the GS archives yielded this from Brian Joubert:
Joubert just couldn't handle losing to a quadless guy, could he?

Except this statement was made right after 2007 Worlds, which as we all know - he won. Some people take Joubert's comments about the quad as evidence of an unsportsmanlike attitude and all sorts of moral failings, and it's nothing of the sort. I feel like I should have this is auto-text, but Joubert always goes on about the quad, regardless of whether he wins, loses to a guy with a quad, or loses to a guy without a quad. He believes it's important that skaters do quads, and while one is certainly free to disagree with this view, it shouldn't be dismissed as "sour grapes".

Brian is ambitious and competitive, like all elite skaters, but he doesn't make a spectacle of himself if things don't go well.

Than what did he say after 2008 worlds? Because if that quote is from 2007, much of my disdain is misplaced. Which would suck, because it fuels my self righteousness.

janetfan

Match Penalty
. So the war is on. Started from certain coach and the medias. So what?!:laugh: Bring them on, it's a great show on and off ice.:rofl:

I agree that Lysacek's outragous PCS at GPF should be a much bigger concern than Plushenko's Nationals scores.

Well according to the Plushy, Evan has invented a new jump :cool:

I am sure this new jump is why Evan is receiving such good scores :laugh:

The judges have no choice but to listen to Plushy - since he is not only a skater but also a self-proclaimed judge and tech caller :clap: :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Well according to the Plushy, Evan has invented a new jump :cool:

I am sure this new jump is why Evan is receiving such good scores :laugh:

The judges have no choice but to listen to Plushy - since he is not only a skater but also a self-proclaimed judge and tech caller :clap: :bow:

If you are so forgetful, I have no choice but copy my post from GPF Men's LP thread:

Here is the result from GPF FS:

1 Evan LYSACEK 159.60 75.60 84.00 8.40 8.10 8.50 8.55 8.45 0.00 #5
2 Jeremy ABBOTT 158.73 82.13 77.60 7.75 7.60 7.75 7.65 8.05 1.00 #2

Please help me out. It seems to me that Evan is milking it for every possible point. The maximum he milked was TES 75.60. But Jeremy got TES 82.13. How did Evan milk it for PCS 84.00?

Just how good Evan's tech score was that made him the first in LP and get the season's best with that 159.60?!:cool: I asked you to help me out with the explanation of Evan's 84.00 on his PCS. You never did.

More power to Plushenko! I see that you are a self-proclaimed, better than Plushy, jumping analyist.:biggrin:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Than what did he say after 2008 worlds? Because if that quote is from 2007, much of my disdain is misplaced. Which would suck, because it fuels my self righteousness.

Your disdain is not misplaced, feel free to keep it. Your memory and mine jive--read this from 2008 Worlds--widely reported in other sources as well. Joubert's thoughts are in the middle of the piece.

Sorry Buttercup, but I'm going to exercise that freedom to disagree with your view, and say that Joubert comes off as sour grapes to me. As always.

One thing you can say about Joubert's position in 2007 was that the ISU agreed with it. They upped the value of quads the next year.

I don't think Brian has anything to apologize for. He is just saying to his quadless competitors, are you a man or a punky twerp? :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker

well Plushenko has been announced here the best jumper ever and not skater, so if the best jumper says that this is a salcow take off, you rightfully need to bow to the master.:p
If he says pigs fly, i look outside the window.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well Plushenko has been announced here the best jumper ever and not skater, so if the best jumper says that this is a salcow take off, you rightfully need to bow to the master.:p

PIGS CAN FLY!!! ;):love::rock::clap::yes:

janetfan

Match Penalty

Yes, Plushy says Evan has invented a new jump so I believe him. The judges believe him too and decided Evan must receive very good scores for such originality. Evan should remember to thank Plushy for his kind words. :biggrin:

As Hersh noted, Plushy has also invented something new.
It is a new style of Tango - with steps and movements no one has ever seen before ;)

schiele

Final Flight
Your disdain is not misplaced, feel free to keep it. Your memory and mine jive--read this from 2008 Worlds--widely reported in other sources as well. Joubert's thoughts are in the middle of the piece.

Sorry Buttercup, but I'm going to exercise that freedom to disagree with your view, and say that Joubert comes off as sour grapes to me. As always.

You're right, he did complain loudly about a quadless win after his loss of the 2008 world title.
Nevertheless, I don't see how it's such a big whoop, he consistently kept saying I wanna be beaten by a guy daring to do quads. Of course it's a shame that the quad is virtually disappeared because of its still unfairly low base value and I feel it should be addressed more often.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You're right, he did complain loudly about a quadless win after his loss of the 2008 world title.
Nevertheless, I don't see how it's such a big whoop, he consistently kept saying I wanna be beaten by a guy daring to do quads. Of course it's a shame that the quad is virtually disappeared because of its still unfairly low base value and I feel it should be addressed more often.

I recall Buttle skated circles around Joubert, Weir and the others at '08 Worlds.

Some of these skaters have to realize that Cop is about scoring the most points and not only about one jump.

Doing a quad doesn't mean you automatically win anything. You have to score the most points to win. What part of that is so hard for Joubert to understand :scratch: