How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan?

Lambari

Final Flight
oops I meant GP events this year.

Oh. LOL It's the hype for this season's GPF.

Still, he's has such a pattern in his GPs, he's doing the same that he has always done. He never won his first GPs.

And got first three times in his second GPs except at his first seniors year, 2014-2015 season which started as a disaster anyway for obvious reasons and at 2013-2014 TEB because Patrick.

So overall he's never that stellar at his GPS, 2015-2016 was an exception actually (and still he didn't win SC last year). Anyone that thought he would dominate at his GPS doesn't follow him at all, but I get why they would think that, it's just that it isn't likely to happen. If it did I would actually be worried. lmao

Last edited:

Lambari

Final Flight
This is what that would happen: (...)

I think you missed the Crazy Future Predictions thread. :laugh2:

Looking forward to Green Lantern and Aquaman Boyang because one can never run out of heroes.

i meant to edit my previous post, sorry. I'm a mess today. :dbana:

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
Patrick and Javi will retire after the Olympic season, and probably Denis Ten as well. Yuzuru is so "crazy" (I mean it in the best way possible) and so passionately committed, that I have no idea what he is going to do. It would be an honor to have him around for more seasons, but I hope he won't push his body to the breaking point.
I am very optimistic about the new generation of man: They are super inconsistent and their programs are a bit empty and sometimes soulless, but they have all the talent and time to grow on these aspects.
I think we are a bit spoiled right now because the majority of the top men of the last quad are still competing.

cherryncy

On the Ice
this is such a painful topic to discuss. I absolutely love the current trio. We always have heated debate here over who's the best but that's because the three of them are sooo different that everyone has their own preference.

It's obvious for Patrick and Javier that they will retire after 2018. Com'on we know not everyone will skate till 27 :laugh2: Hanyu has expressed thoughts to retire after 2018. Furthermore, in recent interview, he said he wished to display ALL his talents in the Olympics. And he has no intention to join 2022. That said, when he'll retire depends on health and his goal.

The future of Men's Figure Skating is bright as we see so many young talents. But so far, I still don't see one that "fit" my taste as well as Yuzuru Hanyu. I may be more invested in the ladies if he retires, as I have some favourites there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
somehow, people always forget Canadian skaters... Nam should make the list, but also Nicolas and Roman. Stephen Gogolev just placed first in Skate Canada Challenge's JUNIOR SP landing 3A, 3Lz-3T, 3Loop with StSq3 and 2 level4 spins.... scoring 76 and dust... and he is 12 years old... he also does a 4S in his LP.
So sad hoping Nam might make the list :( But he hasn't really progressed.

Lambari

Final Flight
this is such a painful topic to discuss. I absolutely love the current trio. We always have heated debate here over who's the best but that's because the three of them are sooo different that everyone has their own preference.

It's obvious for Patrick and Javier that they will retire after 2018. Com'on we know not everyone will skate till 27 :laugh2: Hanyu has expressed thoughts to retire after 2018. Furthermore, in recent interview, he said he wished to display ALL his talents in the Olympics. And he has no intention to join 2022. That said, when he'll retire depends on health and his goal.

The future of Men's Figure Skating is bright as we see so many young talents. But so far, I still don't see one that "fit" my taste as well as Yuzuru Hanyu. I may be more invested in the ladies if he retires, as I have some favourites there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine a world without Hanyu X Chan debates coming out of remotely anything. Can't relate. I'll miss the mess. :dev2:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Imagine a world without Hanyu X Chan debates coming out of remotely anything. Can't relate. I'll miss the mess. :dev2:

It will be replaced by some other debate, but I wonder who will the skaters be. Jin vs Chen? Uno vs Cha?

Last edited:

cherryncy

On the Ice

That'd be so boring...I mean all those popcorns! We may get some Nathan x Boyang debates in a few years time :think:

mcq

Record Breaker
Both Javier and Chan have clearly stated in interviews (Chan's was recent I think) that they would retire after Pyeongchang. At best, they would stretch it to 2018 worlds, but I don't see them staying longer after that.

About Hanyu, he said in his past interviews that he would retire after 2018. BUT on his most recent official interview with ANA, his endorser, when asked about his plan after Pyeongchang, he clearly stated that "he wants to get more". I think this is more than enough as a confirmation that he intends to and willing to continue after 2018. In his recent interview after NHK trophy, he also hinted that he plans to add 4Lz later, but not necessarily on the Olympic season. So I interpret that as his Post-pyeongchang plan lol. :biggrin:
The question left is whether his health would allow him or not. Or if he change his mind.

I will truly miss these 3 though. Although one is more of a favorite than the others, I think these 3 really give so much to the sport. Each of them are really great and talented skaters with very different style, providing a choice for everyone's palate. The 3 also put different emphasis on their skating; Chan with his superb skating skills, Hanyu with his insane transition and jumps, and Javi with his fun and entertaining performance. Their rivalry pushes and enriches the sport. :luv17:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
This is what that would happen:

Yuzuru Hanyu: He would only retire after he performs the 4Lz and 4Lo combo in the Long Program. Upon retiring, he would become the head coach of Japan and only allows skaters to join the national team if they can do at least 4 different types of quadruples.

Javier Fernandez: He would retire after Olympics 2018. He will pull Miki Ando into the ice after the Olympics FS and propose to her. They would get married in the summer. After one year of domestic life, Javier would miss figure skating and start to train pairs skating with Miki Ando. Ando-Fernandez would the first couple to do side by side Quadruple Salchow and wins the Olympic gold in 2022.

Patrick Chan: He would retire after Olympics 2018. He would get a lucrative contract with ISU to supply ice wine to all medallist in all ISU events for the next 50 years.

Shoma Uno: He would skate for another 20 seasons and he would never age. His would retire suddenly when the Japanese authorities forbid him and his fur coat wearing coach from stealing water from the Fountain of Youth Temple in Nagoya.

Boyang Jin: He would be skating to Superman next season, Batman the season after and would retire when he runs out of Superheroes characters to skate to.

Nathan Chen: He would never do another 3A in his career but for some weird reason was able to acquire the 4A and 4Lo. He would be the first skater to do 8 quadruples in the FS. However because ISU does not want to change the rule of compulsory 3A or 2A in SP, his jump layout in SP is always 4A+3T, 4Lz, 2A.

:laugh2: :rofl::cool2:

Lambari

Final Flight
It will be replaced by some other debate, but I wonder who will the skaters be. Jin vs Chen? Uno vs Cha?

That'd be so boring...I mean all those popcorns! We may get some Nathan x Boyang debates in a few years time :think:

I have no idea, I think all of them will happen, especially Uno X Chen because it brings the same old "PCS" X "TES" that we all learned to love and loathe. However they are already in the path of being complete skaters like Patrick and Yuzuru are. I will be ready with my :popcorn: :popcorn: It just won't be as tasty because it would not be my favourites. But who knows? I might become ultra fond of some of them in years to come. I am already Boyangmanized so hopefully the same will happen for others.

I'm expecting messes like these, hopefully next generation won't let me down.

Last edited:

eta

Medalist
This is what that would happen:

Yuzuru Hanyu: He would only retire after he performs the 4Lz and 4Lo combo in the Long Program. Upon retiring, he would become the head coach of Japan and only allows skaters to join the national team if they can do at least 4 different types of quadruples.

I would feel sorry for his students, since he jumps a quad with a shuu and lands with a paa. :rofl:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
What? They're not only jumps.

Shoma Uno has unbelievable charisma, perhaps stronger than Yuzuru and Javier. There's incredible focus and intensity to his skating when his programs go well, that you can feel from nosebleed seats, he projects really strongly.

Boyang Jin has that great vibe of fun when he skates. I think he will end up sort of Javi-like type of skater.

Nathan, as I said, has potential rather than accomplishments - in his exhibition he displayed great musicality and ability to smoothly perform fairly complicated choreo - je's got the jumps, he's got the moves, he needs to combine them. Given that he's 17 and already has learnt all the jumps, he will focus on stabilizing them and working on the widely-understood "artistry".

I maybe one of those few who don't find Shoma charismatic, but I do like him :). Preference wise, I am more interested in Boyang than Shoma, but I wouldn't want him to become a Javi-type of skater :laugh: but more of a type who can challenge various genres like Yuzuru does. :) On Nathan, I too would like to think he's going to continue to grow. In the future we might see more of a Nathan vs.Boyang.

Back on the topic, there's a very very high probability Patrick and Javi will be closing up their competitive careers in the 2018 season :( . As for Yuzuru, I'd love to see him continue competing but that's up to him. Then again, should he decide to retire, I'll be following suit :laugh:

Tahuu

On the Ice
Nathan Chen: He would never do another 3A in his career but for some weird reason was able to acquire the 4A and 4Lo. He would be the first skater to do 8 quadruples in the FS. However because ISU does not want to change the rule of compulsory 3A or 2A in SP, his jump layout in SP is always 4A+3T, 4Lz, 2A.

Nathan has super fast rotation in the air and his 3A entry and rotation look good, but he can't land it. So maybe he could try 4A someday. However, I think Yuzu could be the one to land a 4A first as 3A is so easy to him. Maybe Yuzu will do 4T, 4S, 4Lo, 4Lz and 4A before he hangs up skates.

Raomina

On the Ice
I have no idea, I think all of them will happen, especially Uno X Chen because it brings the same old "PCS" X "TES" that we all learned to love and loathe. However they are already in the path of being complete skaters like Patrick and Yuzuru are. I will be ready with my :popcorn: :popcorn: It just won't be as tasty because it would not be my favourites. But who knows? I might become ultra fond of some of them in years to come. I am already Boyangmanized so hopefully the same will happen for others.

I'm expecting messes like these, hopefully next generation won't let me down.

Thanks for linking those threads! I was only here for the last one but it seems like nothing has changed still. These threads always start out somewhat civil and then just derail into fanwars and nitpicking, but it is amazing how much and how fast the landscape has changed. The rise of the 2 quad SPs, 3 quad FSs... these seem to be the new baselines, which were almost unthinkable, or even unnecessary according to some, even one year ago. It's very impressive how much the top skaters have pushed the boundaries of the sport, both in TES and PCS, and how easily the new generation is handling and even advancing the technical content. The advancement in the Ladies pales in comparison to the Men's. The Men build on legacies while the Ladies just tinker with them.

I maybe one of those few who don't find Shoma charismatic, but I do like him :). Preference wise, I am more interested in Boyang than Shoma, but I wouldn't want him to become a Javi-type of skater :laugh: but more of a type who can challenge various genres like Yuzuru does. :) On Nathan, I too would like to think he's going to continue to grow. In the future we might see more of a Nathan vs.Boyang.

Back on the topic, there's a very very high probability Patrick and Javi will be closing up their competitive careers in the 2018 season :( . As for Yuzuru, I'd love to see him continue competing but that's up to him. Then again, should he decide to retire, I'll be following suit :laugh:

I think all 3 (Chen, Uno and Jin) have their own brand of charisma, just like how Hanyu, Fernandez and Chan have their own as well. They appeal to different people and it's great that there would still be so many skating styles to choose from and appreciate after 2018 still. I do think that Yuzuru would continue after 2018, regardless of results, if he's physically still capable of doing it. IMO, he still has so much more he can offer to the skating world and experiment with regards to his skating style.

Nathan has super fast rotation in the air and his 3A entry and rotation look good, but he can't land it. So maybe he could try 4A someday. However, I think Yuzu could be the one to land a 4A first as 3A is so easy to him. Maybe Yuzu will do 4T, 4S, 4Lo, 4Lz and 4A before he hangs up skates.

I think Nathan has problems with the axel jump specifically (due to his injuries?) rather than the fact that it's a 3A? I'm not sure why people are saying he should go for 4A, when I don't think it's the 'triple' in 'triple axel' that is the problem.

Last edited:

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I hope Javier finishes on the podium in 2018, would have to bite if one has 2 world championships and no Olympic medal!