How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I hope Javier finishes on the podium in 2018, would have to bite if one has 2 world championships and no Olympic medal!

Maybe it's 3 world champ :think:

Although Javi does rarely make a clean SP, he is pretty consistent in FS, so I can't imagine the 2018 podium without him. 3-time World champion is doable certainly depending on how he and other top contenders, especially Hanyu do at Worlds though.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
oops I should have said world championships.. There must be a few skaters out there to have 1 or more world championships only to never win an Olympic medal? Kurt Browning, Brian Joubert, Miki Ando and Kimmie Meissner come to mind.

mcq

Record Breaker
oops I should have said world championships.. There must be a few skaters out there to have 1 or more world championships only to never win an Olympic medal? Kurt Browning, Brian Joubert, Miki Ando and Kimmie Meissner come to mind.

If you are talking bout multiple WC then noone has it harder than Browning, being a 4x WC but no olympic medals. Miki also comes to mind. Kimmie and Joubert only win once, there are plenty who win once but doesn't have an olympic medal.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
This thread makes me so sad :(
Like great triumvirates of the ancient world, Patrick, Javi & Yuzuru ruled the men's skating for so long, it will be the end of the era!

Re Javi IMO he will not only win the medal he will be The winner. I am not a fan but it seems to me 1) he performs best when really matters 2) prudent with upping the tech thus is likely to make it to 2018 uninjured 3) not fixated on the OGM - medal of any colour would please him (unlike P. & Y.)

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Repeating others - Javi and Patrick are highly likely to retire after 2018, especially since they have fullfilled neaely all their goals. Patrick just need that OGM and Javi any OM.

However, Yuzuru's situation is more complicated. While he has all the titles anyone can win and has become a powerhouse, he suffers from numerous injuries and has only oné World title. That being said, I just don't see him competing until 2022. Not only has he stated in the past that he wanted to retire (although that's long ago), but he might struggle to find motivation and his injuries might not enable him to perform to his full potencial. I don't want him to suffer like Mao. Nevertheless, now that I know 2019 Worlds are in Japan, I think he'll aim to win his finále competition there and say goodbye in front of the home crowd.

sarama

Medalist
If you are talking bout multiple WC then noone has it harder than Browning, being a 4x WC but no olympic medals. Miki also comes to mind. Kimmie and Joubert only win once, there are plenty who win once but doesn't have an olympic medal.

I would also add that Browning was in a far superior league than the others mentioned (who were very good skaters, but not exactly "legends"). The Olympics can be really cruel:(

jaylee

Medalist
However, Yuzuru's situation is more complicated. While he has all the titles anyone can win and has become a powerhouse, he suffers from numerous injuries and has only oné World title.

Weirdly enough, for all his distinguished accomplishments, he hasn't won all the titles possible. He's never won Four Continents (which is an ISU championship) and he's only won 2 of the 6 Grand Prix events (and he's been invited to all, most more than once).

No worries, I'm sure he'll continue to collect more titles to add to his collection.

mcq

Record Breaker
I would also add that Browning was in a far superior league than the others mentioned (who were very good skaters, but not exactly "legends"). The Olympics can be really cruel:(

Indeed. Considering his achievements it is such a shame that he did not get any olympic medal. :(

Weirdly enough, for all his distinguished accomplishments, he hasn't won all the titles possible. He's never won Four Continents (which is an ISU championship) and he's only won 2 of the 6 Grand Prix events (and he's been invited to all, most more than once).

No worries, I'm sure he'll continue to collect more titles to add to his collection.

Only 4CC though and he won silver at the 2 times he compete there. Asians and North Americans did not care for 4CC as much as Europeans care for European Championships. Otherwise top skaters would not skip it from time to time.
Others have numerous nemesis competition as well. Lambiel has never won Europeans, Yagudin never won Nationals, and Olympic champion like Illa Kulik and Alexei Urmanov never won worlds. Considering he has won world and olympics, I doubt people actually care about him never winning 4CC.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

It would be nice but I don't think he cares about the getting the "set". Otherwise he wouldn't have skipped 4CC so many times...I think he's only gone to 4CC twice (his first two Sr seasons??) And the GP set is never happening lol. He'll always go to NHK (already won) and he has never had a good first GP. He always bombs at least one program there.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru would retire in 2020.

We would get the same layout from Yuzuru in the 2017-2018 Olympic season as now.

For the 2018-2019 post Olympic year, he would be tying up loose ends, meaning displaying all the residual skills that he has trained for the tail-end of his career. We would see the somewhat painful debut of the 4Lz and the 4Lo combo. (very much like the 4Lo this season). Then for the 2019-2020 season, he would do the highest ever pre-4A FS TES.

Jump layout SP
4Lz
4Lo + 3T
3A

Jump layout FS:
4Lz
4Lo
4S
4Lo + 2T
3A + 3T
3A +1Lo + 3S
3Lz
4T
(no space for even a 3Lo or 3F, and layout has tons of Miss Zayak's appearance for lutz and salchow)

This would surpass Nathan Chen's 5 quad + one 3A.

narcissa

Record Breaker

He's (probably) going to 4CC this year so we'll see :)

eta

Medalist

Yuzu doesn't win his first GP, and his second GP is usually NHK, so...

And 4CC doesn't seem to be as important as Euros, top skaters don't go to 4CC that often. That said, it seems Yuzu will be at 2017 4CC.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Yeah. Not sure if Patrick/Shoma are going to 4CC but unless Yuzu has another meltdown like at Skate Canada, I can't imagine him not winning it.

Yuna hasn't won all the GPs (she's missing Skate Canada) but I think most people consider her to have won "everything." I guess 4 is a lot more than 2, though? :laugh:

mcq

Record Breaker
Yeah. Not sure if Patrick/Shoma are going to 4CC but unless Yuzu has another meltdown like at Skate Canada, I can't imagine him not winning it.

Yuna hasn't won all the GPs (she's missing Skate Canada) but I think most people consider her to have won "everything." I guess 4 is a lot more than 2, though? :laugh:

Everyone who can go will go. Including Patrick, Shoma and Boyang Jin. Nathan, Jason and/or Adam might go too depending on who qualifies. It is an olympic test event, noone would want to skip it. It's basically going to be as competitive as GPF/worlds minus Fernandez, he's not going to run away with gold unless he skates lights out.

eta

Medalist
Everyone who can go will go. Including Patrick, Shoma and Boyang Jin. Nathan, Jason and/or Adam might go too depending on who qualifies. It is an olympic test event, noone would want to skip it. It's basically going to be as competitive as GPF/worlds minus Fernandez, he's not going to run away with gold unless he skates lights out.

:hijacked: So I read somewhere that the Chinese fed values Asian Winter Games more than 4CC so I'm not sure where Boyang will be sent... anyone have more info about this?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:hijacked: So I read somewhere that the Chinese fed values Asian Winter Games more than 4CC so I'm not sure where Boyang will be sent... anyone have more info about this?

2017 Four Continents is the test event for the 2018 Olympic venue in Korea ... so not sending Boyang would be a big missed opportunity for a potential OWG medal contender to get acquainted there.

eta

Medalist
2017 Four Continents is the test event for the 2018 Olympic venue in Korea ... so not sending Boyang would be a big missed opportunity for a potential OWG medal contender to get acquainted there.

That's what I think as well. But Sui/Han will start their season at Asian Winter Games, which makes me worried for Boyang...

To stay on topic, I hope Hanyu will retire on home ice at 2019 WC~

mcq

Record Breaker

Off topic answer. It makes sense for the Chinese fed since winning Asian Winter games would be more prestigious domestically than winning 4CC, especially with a weak field. The possibility to win is just much better. Winning AWG probably will lead to more funding and more national exposure for FS in China too than winning 4CC which is a competition only familiar to those in the FS niche. Even in the FS niche, we know many top skaters skip this competition too. If it was not held in the olympic venue, probably many would have skipped it. But I think we would likely at least see Chan, Hanyu and Uno + whoever among American Men qualified for this.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Off topic answer. It makes sense for the Chinese fed since winning Asian Winter games would be more prestigious domestically than winning 4CC, especially with a weak field. The possibility to win is just much better. Winning AWG probably will lead to more funding and more national exposure for FS in China too than winning 4CC which is a competition only familiar to those in the FS niche. Even in the FS niche, we know many top skaters skip this competition too. If it was not held in the olympic venue, probably many would have skipped it. But I think we would likely at least see Chan, Hanyu and Uno + whoever among American Men qualified for this.

Theoretically, he could be sent to both. The 4CCs and the figure skating event at AWG are a week apart, and it's not a big trip from Korea/China to Japan.

Hanyu will face even a bigger problem: he has expressed desire to attend the 4CCs because it will be a in the Olympic venue and he makes no secret what his aim is regarding Olympics, he probably really wants to go. However, apparently the winner of Japanese Nationals is obliged to take part in AWG - and given that they will take place in Japan, it's doubtful that the Japanese fed would release him from the obligation. Of course Shoma is no chopped liver and he could defeat Hanyu at Nationals, but I think Hanyu cares for his Japanese Champion titles and will fight for it. If he does win, where will he be sent? Theoretically, like Boyang, he could do both...

mcq

Record Breaker
Theoretically, he could be sent to both. The 4CCs and the figure skating event at AWG are a week apart, and it's not a big trip from Korea/China to Japan.

Hanyu will face even a bigger problem: he has expressed desire to attend the 4CCs because it will be a in the Olympic venue and he makes no secret what his aim is regarding Olympics, he probably really wants to go. However, apparently the winner of Japanese Nationals is obliged to take part in AWG - and given that they will take place in Japan, it's doubtful that the Japanese fed would release him from the obligation. Of course Shoma is no chopped liver and he could defeat Hanyu at Nationals, but I think Hanyu cares for his Japanese Champion titles and will fight for it. If he does win, where will he be sent? Theoretically, like Boyang, he could do both...

Kobayashi-san from JSF has already stated that the skaters' wishes will be respected, this is a bit of old news. Likely they won't send their top skaters to both events. Worlds are within a month and why would JSF want to burn their skater out for worlds, especially considering it will decide their Olympics spot. Yuzuru has stated he wanted to go to 4CC this year, not AWG. I don't know about Shoma but my guess is he will be the same. They may or may not go to AWG depending on their physical condition but I don't think it is 4CC that they will skip.