How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan?

Pamigena

Record Breaker
However, apparently the winner of Japanese Nationals is obliged to take part in AWG - and given that they will take place in Japan, it's doubtful that the Japanese fed would release him from the obligation.
:shrug:

This article says that Ms. Kobayashi said the skaters' intentions will also be considered.

kobayashi confirmed the assignment will be based on skaters' willingness as well. I think there is nothing to worry about.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Kobayashi-san from JSF has already stated that the skaters' wishes will be respected, this is a bit of old news. Likely they won't send their top skaters to both events. Worlds are within a month and why would JSF want to burn their skater out for worlds, especially considering it will decide their Olympics spot. Yuzuru has stated he wanted to go to 4CC this year, not AWG. I don't know about Shoma but my guess is he will be the same. They may or may not go to AWG depending on their physical condition but I don't think it is 4CC that they will skip.

Ah, sorry, I missed this piece of information.

The Japanese fed is more decent about it than I would expect, then. I really thought that since the AWG are in Japan they'd want their stars there. If Boyang goes, and Yuzu and Shoma don't, the Gold is as good as his. :biggrin: It's a shame the situation is what it is with the 4CCs and Asian Games this year, because AWG could be an intersting competition with Yuzu, Shoma, Boyang, Han Yan, Jun Hwan Cha, Denis and Misha Ge. It makes me wonder which skaters will appear at AWG.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These 3 are on top again at GPF holding off the flood of young ones for the moment.
:cool2:

Not so fast. :hap10:

Yuzuru GPF gold; Nathan Chen :luv17:silver:luv17:; Shoma Uno bronze.

I adore Javier, love Yuzu, and like Patrick. But it seemed to me that so many (judges? federations? fans?) were starting to assume that their PCS marks built up over the years would keep them in the top 3. I like the unpredictability. And I'm very impressed by Nathan, winning the free skate at his first Grand Prix Final.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Not so fast. :hap10:

Yuzuru GPF gold; Nathan Chen :luv17:silver:luv17:; Shoma Uno bronze.

I adore Javier, love Yuzu, and like Patrick. But it seemed to me that so many (judges? federations? fans?) were starting to assume that their PCS marks built up over the years would keep them in the top 3. I like the unpredictability. And I'm very impressed by Nathan, winning the free skate at his first Grand Prix Final.

I did say 'for the moment'.
Yuzu is on top still partly because he never takes juniors (or younger skaters) for granted. He keeps an eye out for them, and learns from them as well as his seniors and contemporaries.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did say 'for the moment'.
Yuzu is on top still partly because he never takes juniors (or younger skaters) for granted. He keeps an eye out for them, and learns from them as well as his seniors and contemporaries.

This is true. I read a couple days ago that he used US junior skater Alexei K. (I think I have the right skater?) landing the 4Loop as extra motivation to work hard on his own 4loop. This is a very focused and driven man.

It's interesting, to hear how that sort of focus on what others are doing works great for some skaters. Others say it has the reverse effect on them; they've learned the hard way to set their sights in other ways.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This is true. I read a couple days ago that he used US junior skater Alexei K. (I think I have the right skater?) landing the 4Loop as extra motivation to work hard on his own 4loop. This is a very focused and driven man.

It's interesting, to hear how that sort of focus on what others are doing works great for some skaters. Others say it has the reverse effect on them; they've learned the hard way to set their sights in other ways.

Yes, it's different for each athlete. Yuzu seems to love watching others skate and jump. In the GPF practices you can see him clapping for Nathan and Shoma and Javi when they do a good jump.
When he was younger, he got too into watching Patrick that he bombed his skate at COR 2011. He's more focused now though.

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I'm starting to worry about Javier Fernandez. The Malaguena doesn't work as well as last season - ok he admitted he didn't practise it that much, but still.
The Elvis long program looks also less interesting than his previous programs, it's just full of clichés. The judges try to keep him high in the program components department but if he makes more than one mistakes in a program then it won't help him either. Today he finished off the podium for the first time since 2013 NHK.

I don't think that anyone can close to him at Europeans if he skates cleanish (unless Bychenko or Samohin skate their programs of their lives and Javi makes several mistakes).
But there could be problems for the Worlds.
And the problem is that 4CC will be a test skate for the Olympic venue an he can't be there, unlike Yuzuru, Boyang, Shoma, Nathan etc.:(

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seemed to me that Nathan rattled the vets a bit with his huge technical score but maybe it was all just a coincidence that they all struggled. Still landing 4 quads right at the start of his LP has to get some attention even from these grizzled veterans.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it different for each athlete. Yuzu seems to love watching others skate and jump. In the GPF practices you can see him clapping for Nathan and Shoma and Javi when the do a good jump.
When he was younger, he got too into watching Patrick that he bombed his skate at COR 2011. He's more focused now though.

I love that about Yuzuru. :)

reneerose

Final Flight
Can't really opine on this until this season and until the Olympics are over. I love seeing the Big 3 for as long as they want to compete and they are able to! A huge artistic void would happen for me if all of them decided to leave right after the 2018 Olympics. :( The younguns' are always nipping at their heels! Who knows if we could see another upset by a youngun (i.e. Nathan) at the 2018 Olympics!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seemed to me that Nathan rattled the vets a bit with his huge technical score but maybe it was all just a coincidence that they all struggled. Still landing 4 quads right at the start of his LP has to get some attention even from these grizzled veterans.

:rofl: Grizzled!!

But I agree with you, it felt like they were all a wee bit worried. Who wouldn't be? they're all gritty competitors ... if not grizzled. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rofl: Grizzled!!

But I agree with you, it felt like they were all a wee bit worried. Who wouldn't be? they're all gritty competitors ... if not grizzled. :)

Yeah grizzled is a bad word for guys in their 20's. That word is for someone like Menshov. :laugh:

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
These trio is my favourite and I consider this past years their era so it's very sad to see what happened with their skate here. But it happened sometimes so I hope the ice jinx will reverse from last year and they will have stellar performance at world! :hap10:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I'm starting to worry about Javier Fernandez. The Malague doesn't work as well as last season - ok he admitted he didn't practise it that much, but still.
The Elvis long program looks also less interesting than his previous programs, it's just full of clichés. The judges try to keep him high in the program components department but if he makes more than one mistakes in a program then it won't help him either. Today he finished off the podium for the first time since 2013 NHK.

It's actually since Sochi :(