I think Ashley Wagner's going to become the biggest rival to Yu-na and/or Mao in 2010 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

I think Ashley Wagner's going to become the biggest rival to Yu-na and/or Mao in 2010

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that 4CC is not going to be shown on TV until March for those in the US and we do have spoiler rules :)

With so many chances to see LIVE figure skating through different coverage, it's hard to believe that some Board fans are waiting for the American TV showing. which is very limited before knowing the results of the competitions.

I can't help but think that the Spoiler concept is outdated.

Fans who do want to wait for the American version of a Championship should not really go into any of the championship threads. Most fans, apparently, want to know the results before any american TV showing.

Hoping those fans waiting for the American TV showing will reply to this post.

Joe

fourclover

On the Ice
Agree that Ashley Wagner is like Sarah Hughes...except with rotated jumps. Something about Sarah always struck me as clumsy, which I don't get from Ashley.

I don't see the remotest resemblance between Ashley and Sarah. Sarah skated like she carried weight on her feet: heavy and slow jumps and spins. Ashley is more bouncy and resilient on her feet. I think she has just the right balance of strength and fluffyness; when she jumps she looks like she's the lightest skater in the world.

Mirai's skating doesn't really remind me of any of the Japanese ladies. Her spinning is much better than Shizuka or Mao, her jumps sort of have the "stalky" quality of Butyrskaya rather than Shizuka and Mao's super-smooth landings, and she's a much better "actress" on ice than any of the Japanese girls. If Mao or Shizuka tried to do "I Got Rhythm", it would fall flat, although I could see Mao doing Coppelia. Maybe Fumie, acutally?

I agree with you there in general.

Still don't get the hype about Caroline Zhang's presentation. Her skating in general is very similar to Sasha.

I agree with you there again. I think Alyssa Czisny, Caroline Zhang, and ro some extent Sasha have similar presentation style: REAL slow, low and heavy jumps just enough to escape tripping. I don't think their basic skating is secure; whenever I see them skate it looks like they are struggling to get from point A to point B on ice.

I can see why people would compare Rachael Flatt to Fumie and Yu-Na, she simply doesn't have the body type to present an elegant picture on the ice. Fumie and Yu-Na's oft-berated lack of stretch is offset by their thin, long limbs, but Rachael, who has better stretch, still doesn't have as much grace as the Asian girls. Her spins are also a lot slower. I think the Fumie/Yu-Na comparison is spot-on, though. Relative lack of stretch, fast spins, great toe jumps, iffy edge jumps, and a great deal of facial expressions and drama.

I can't see how Fumie who has THE shortest legs (shorter than Miki's) out there among the ladies skateres could be in the same category as Yu-na. Yeah, she's thin but her limbs are hardly long.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Fans who do want to wait for the American version of a Championship should not really go into any of the championship threads. Most fans, apparently, want to know the results before any american TV showing.

This isn't a championship thread, and those that don't want to be spoiled don't need to explain anything. Not everyone has high speed internet, or access to the live stuff. Some want to see it on TV. I think the least those of us who have the net capabilities can do is be courteous enough to allow that.

Besides, most talk belongs in the event folders anyway...

I think any further discussion belongs in the feedback folder.

Yellow Cat

Rinkside
This isn't a championship thread, and those that don't want to be spoiled don't need to explain anything. Not everyone has high speed internet, or access to the live stuff. Some want to see it on TV. I think the least those of us who have the net capabilities can do is be courteous enough to allow that.

Besides, most talk belongs in the event folders anyway...

*applauds*

I don't think it has anything to do with hi speed. It has to do with those posters who do not want to know results before competitions are shown on Amercian tv. In various countries, competitions are shown if not LIVE, then the next day. American TV has to consider its committments to other sports as a priority so discssions even in the event folders has already ceased.

There is another thread in The Edge on Mira Leung which would be relevant to mention her skating from the event page. One can tactfully say something about her skating and not about the competition..

I suppose that would be horrendous. So, I'll just forget I mentioned this.

I would like to know from those who still want to wait until NBC shows something.

Joe