Ice Diaries on TLC | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Diaries on TLC

Lanie

On the Ice
I'm missing it since my dad is on the computer in the living room with the TV playing his MMORPG (heh)...hopefully some kind soul will upload it! Danielle used to skate out at my rink; so did Bebe. It was nice to watch 'em in person. It sounds like a nifty TV show!

Jasper

Final Flight
Rerun tomorrow at 3 pm EST, and at other times throughout the week.

Great show! I simply cannot believe how busy their schedules are with school, skating, family, and trying to have a semi-regular social life at the same time! Do they sleep?

CDMM1991 said:
My mom, whose a doctor, spent the whole time worrying about Sandra Rucker's back. She really doesn't think that they are handling it well, and she thinks that Sandy is going to end up with severe back problems for the rest of her life.
I was interested i the doctor's comments on the show. He said that playing sports is inherently unhealthy, especially figure skating, and that all skaters had chronic back pain -- it's just part of the deal. Also, that they don't really treat it, just try to "manage" the pain (without drugs).

This gives some perspective to the ailments of some of the top skaters who continue to compete year after year (Jenny Kirk, for instance).

So, when Alissa retires from skating, she can have a career as a competitive rock climber! :cool: :love:

MM :)

I nominate Alissa (and Evan) as having the longest legs in Skateland.:yes: I'm beginning to wonder if Bebe is faster than Carolina.

I actually found the show intersting to watch but it had so many commercials. However, I would prefer this kind of show than the usual holiday ones.

Who will be the next featured skater

Joe

Joesitz said:
I actually found the show intersting to watch but it had so many commercials.
Mostly about bull-riding! Isn't rodeo the sister sport of figure skating?

MM :)

nicole_l

Final Flight
Joe, I think Alissa's next, preparing for Skate Canada at short notice.
Of course we all know how that went! ;)

Jhar55

Medalist
Enjoyed the show, it show us skaters other than the usuall group we normally get to see.

Jerseygirl

Spectator
They are doing a wonderful job with promoting the sport and these girls. This is just an excellent series before the Olympics.

Thanks to TLC!!!

Jerseygirl, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Post often, post long. :)

Mathman :)

Last edited:

sk8rta8r

Spectator
I loved the show, I can't wait to tape the whole series and show it to my students and their parents. It really shows what hard work, dedication and commitment it takes to be an elite skater. My skaters and their folks just don't have a clue. Skating is very new in our area and our young skaters just don't have the high level skaters to look up to and try to emulate. It was great to see Cindy Bortz, I havn't seen her since we were kids and she used to wipe up the ice with the rest of us. :laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Sk8rta8r,

Welcome to GS. You're just in time for the nationals feeding frenzy!

I'm with everyone who've enjoyed the first installment of Ice Diaries. I was exhausted just hearing what all those young ladies do daily for their sport! I also couldn't believe how grown up Danielle is now. She was another jumping bean that Dick raved about 2 yrs ago and then we didn't get to see again until now.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I loved the first installment of the show!!!

Now to some clarifications/corrections on the early p.r. about this show:

1. No one show is devoted to one girl! - It seems that no one show will be devoted to any one skater, as the p.r. had us believe. All four girls are followed in every show. They devoted equal time to each girl in the first show.

2. Number of shows: Is it TEN installments??? Wasn't the early publicity telling us that there would be four installments? If it's ten - What a bonanza! Between te Olympics, Natls, other competitions, Dick Button's show, Skating with Stars & this, we'll be burning lots of DVDs (or recording onto lots of VHS tapes) this winter!

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Friday's at 9pm...At least on the east coast.

A few things I noted....

Of all the girls featured last week, can you pick out the ones who (1) are skating well (2) enjoying themselves (3) seem really down to earth?........

The skaters who's parents are still involved with their skating EVERY DAY.

I don't think that that's a fluke either. Take BeBe, her mom works out with her at the gym and presumably, BeBe is still living at home. I would bet that her mom provides a great deal of structure, stability and peace of mind for BeBe.

Now, Allisa...The most well-adjusted one. She still lives at home, has the support of her family, continues to pursue things outside of skating that are important to her and recognizes that their is life after skating.

Now, Danielle. Yes, her parents are divorced and her mom is raising 5 kids, so perhaps Danielle is a bit more independent than most her age, but it seems that her mom is involved in her life and with the skating.

Sandy. She's what 17 or 18 and has moved away from her family to train. She is injured and does not appear to be getting better. Struggles in practice and I think, has a really lousy attitude. Her coach is new and he doesn't know what to make of her. Now, if she was at home would things be any different, I don't know - but I'd wager that Sandy's parents might have a positive affect on her.

I've seen this a thousand times. Kids leave home at an early age or even after 18 (just because your legally an adult, doesn't mean you can function as one) and train. They are in my opinion, more likely to develop injuries, eating disorders, behavioral issues and suffer negatively from the sport.

This insight into the skaters, esp. Allisa, makes me hope she makes the Olympic Team with Kwan and Cohen.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the following episodes.

Darby

Kwan101

Rinkside
I think Sandy's biggest problem is that she's too heavy. She's not fat by normal standards, but she's too heavy to be competitive in skating. Skating is hard enough on the back as it is- carrying extra weight only makes it worse.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
You know, I noticed that too. She is thin by almost anyones standards, but in skating, unfortunatly, super thin is what you need.

I've seen pics of Kwan and seen her in person and while she is slender, she does have a bit of meat on her and even in person, she is very thin. Sasha in person is scary thin....

Darby

IDLERACER

Medalist
I don't have cable, so I can't watch this program. I'm curious to know if they ever show Beatrisa and Danielle practicing together (I see them both at the healthsouth center all the time).

IDLERACER

Medalist
My cable company is having a free promotional thingy this week (perfect timing) so suddenly I'm getting more than just basic cable, and I'm able to watch a little of this (it's on at the same time as the ice dancing on ESPN, and I've been going back and forth). Well, now you folks all have an idea of where my vantage point is, whenever I pay a visit to the rink. You can see the balcony windows in the upper background every now and then.:cool:

Lanie

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
My cable company is having a free promotional thingy this week (perfect timing) so suddenly I'm getting more than just basic cable, and I'm able to watch a little of this (it's on at the same time as the ice dancing on ESPN, and I've been going back and forth). Well, now you folks all have an idea of where my vantage point is, whenever I pay a visit to the rink. You can see the balcony windows in the upper background every now and then.:cool:

Idleracer, do you ever go to Easy Street Ice Arena in Simi (where Danielle trains)? I know you go to Healthsouth and stuff. Just wondering, since that's where I skate. :D

I missed it if it was on tonight...Nats are my priority...haha.