Ice Problem @ Skate Canada | Golden Skate

Ice Problem @ Skate Canada

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It seems like in every event except the dance skaters are dropping like flies. Do you think there could be an issue with the ice or some other technical condition? I think it was in China last year when the GP event was a spatfest....but Canada is a ice-loving country... you think they would have good ice.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
No, I would say Cup of China last year had a legitimate ice problem, but not at Skate Canada this year.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
No, it was not the ice. The skaters were rushing their moves. Kurt commented on that more than once.

Kypma

Final Flight
During Vahamma's LP, it looked to me more wet as usual.

There was one spot that just seemed to refuse to dry, even up to the second group of Ladies Long Programs. However, several of the ladies who were falling during their programs were quite solid in practice, so I think it might have been nerves more than ice conditions. As for the men... I found several to have borderline wonky landings / technique, so the stress of competition possibly threw them off a little. Then again, I don't know what happened with Patrick Chan's Lutz-which-never-took-off. It was awesome to be in the stands for Jessica and Bryce, Patrick, and Joannie today! :)

-kypma

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Ice was dry at all times. And there weren't enough people to cause the ice to melt.
Jenni was super nervous and it showed. I really loved her speed and flow though. I think she has solid basic skills, and it is the case of her finding the way to control her nerves.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Ice was dry at all times. And there weren't enough people to cause the ice to melt.
Jenni was super nervous and it showed. I really loved her speed and flow though. I think she has solid basic skills, and it is the case of her finding the way to control her nerves.

I thought her outfit was distracting and did not do her any favours.........

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jenni seems to have had a huge growth spurt and it has badly affected her jumps. She had a similar outing at Finlandia. This is just not going to be her year. Better luck next season.

gsrossano

Final Flight
... you think they would have good ice.

They did have good ice. It set up nicely even when they laid a bit too much water during the cuts. There were no wet spots during any of the events, and I didn't notice any chipping like you get when it is too cold. It looked to me like the ice was pretty much just right.

Kypma

Final Flight
They did have good ice. It set up nicely even when they laid a bit too much water during the cuts. There were no wet spots during any of the events, and I didn't notice any chipping like you get when it is too cold. It looked to me like the ice was pretty much just right.

Actually, there was a wet spot during the Ladies' LP. It was at the opposite end to the kiss'n'cry, along the short side, and right in its centre. It's noticeable on Cynthia Phaneuf and Jenni Vähämäa, because they fell right around there and their tights were consequently wet.

Other than that, though, the ice did seem quite nice.

-Kypma

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Actually, there was a wet spot during the Ladies' LP. It was at the opposite end to the kiss'n'cry, along the short side, and right in its centre. It's noticeable on Cynthia Phaneuf and Jenni Vähämäa, because they fell right around there and their tights were consequently wet.

-Kypma

And honestly, a wet spot doesn't really make it any more difficult to land jumps. I think it was the quality of the skaters jump technique and not the quality of the ice that caused problems.

Kypma

Final Flight
There was one spot that just seemed to refuse to dry, even up to the second group of Ladies Long Programs. However, several of the ladies who were falling during their programs were quite solid in practice, so I think it might have been nerves more than ice conditions. As for the men... I found several to have borderline wonky landings / technique, so the stress of competition possibly threw them off a little. Then again, I don't know what happened with Patrick Chan's Lutz-which-never-took-off. It was awesome to be in the stands for Jessica and Bryce, Patrick, and Joannie today! :)

-kypma

-Kypma

And honestly, a wet spot doesn't really make it any more difficult to land jumps. I think it was the quality of the skaters jump technique and not the quality of the ice that caused problems.

I wasn't saying that was the problem, I was just stating a fact; as I said earlier, those skaters seemed better in practice...;)

-Kypma

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I wasn't saying that was the problem, I was just stating a fact; as I said earlier, those skaters seemed better in practice...;)

-Kypma

I wasn't saying that you said it was a problem! I was just pointing out to others, who maybe don't skate and therefore wouldn't know that wet spots on the ice aren't really a big problem.

Kypma

Final Flight
I wasn't saying that you said it was a problem! I was just pointing out to others, who maybe don't skate and therefore wouldn't know that wet spots on the ice aren't really a big problem.

Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding...

-Kypma