Ideas for Davis & White | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ideas for Davis & White

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Thanks so much, doris! That was a lot of help. I watched the vid and I could see why it was scored low. I agree that the midline and the circular were Level 2s and the spin wasn't very fast and he wasn't in a difficult position, at least on the second position. I liked their step dancing part, I noticed he was holding onto her arm during the first part, then they let go. Not sure if that was marked down...I know from reading this season's dance requirements, you can't separate much during the OD, at least this coming season.

I don't know, they are a very nice couple and attractive together but they just don't seem to have much speed and they definitely don't have Meryl and Charlie's "it" factor, at least to me.

So, I'm wondering, do you think they were marked so low because of their skating or because the judges didn't like the choreography? Or both? I didn't care for the music but then I've never liked LOTD. I much preferred Riverdance for Irish dancing or traditional Irish music.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Wow, that was stunning. What a choice of music to skate to. What could go with it, though, for a faster section? This would give me chills, I swear.

Me too! I loved it too, and just downloaded an mp3 of it! what a stunning piece of music! Hope D/W would consider it at least!

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I was just thinking, we've come up with so many good ideas, I don't know what I want now and I swear, Igor better come up with something really good since we've given him so many to choose from! (Igor, Marina, hope you read this thread...ha, ha!)

I hope we won't be disappointed...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So, I'm wondering, do you think they were marked so low because of their skating or because the judges didn't like the choreography? Or both? I didn't care for the music but then I've never liked LOTD. I much preferred Riverdance for Irish dancing or traditional Irish music.

IIRC it seemed to be a bit of both for Melissa and Denis... however there was a lot of debate whether or not they deserved the low scores, it was pretty much 50/50 on here. I know some of their fans said they'd seen them skate better, but I know Melissa and Denis were a bit discouraged as I believe they had some CoP judges from the USFSA come in and tell them where they were level wise, and then they got much lower numbers at Skate Canada.

It was their first (and only :no: ) event of the season and I have no doubt that they would have really improved throughout each competition. They worked with Rene Roca on their choreography (with Denis) and Llyod Eisler helped them with lifts last summer...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For me, LOTD is neo-Irish dancing, rather than the real folk stuff, so I think Denis & Melissa were at a disadvantage right there.

I think the levels were quite fairly called, which means that US callers in dance need better training. If D&M paid the callers they consulted with, they should have their money refunded.

When levels are lower, PCS is often lower than it might be too. In their case 3 different elements were lower value out of 6, so it's not surprising they were somewhat dumped there too.

Toni, I'm sure they would have improved this dance massively over the season, and their accident was a horrible thing. I hope they come back strong this next season.

Last edited:

all that

Final Flight
Wow, that was stunning. What a choice of music to skate to. What could go with it, though, for a faster section? This would give me chills, I swear.

The music already has a slightly fast section -- I don't think you would need much more than that -- just use some clever editing, and clever choreography.

The best choreography I've ever seen to it is here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KlOJw17H65w
The boy represents a hummingbird, and the girl, a flower.

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
As an FD song choice -- maybe "The Chairman's Waltz" from Memoirs of a Geisha?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OmzrF-FyqjU&feature=related

Oh my, that's hauntingly beautiful. I would love to see them skate to this.

I was just thinking, we've come up with so many good ideas, I don't know what I want now and I swear, Igor better come up with something really good since we've given him so many to choose from! (Igor, Marina, hope you read this thread...ha, ha!)

I hope we won't be disappointed...

Oh I know tapdancer, we've come up with so many ideas and they're all amazing. It would be thrilling if theirs were even better.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Hey, doris, I forgot all about Zydeco! Actually, not being from Louisiana, I knew about Zydeco music but I didn't realize there was a specific type of dance to it. I guess I always thought Cajun and Zydeco were just forms of music.

That's fun dance, do you think it could work, though, with the opens? Course it is danced in hold a lot, too. The rules are so specific.

"Harem" doesn't thrill me, either. I got so sick of "Anytime, Anywhere" that anything Sarah Brightman now seems a little too safe. BTW, was their "Sarabande" really sung by Sarah B? Sounded like a choir to me. I could be wrong, though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The older couples dancing are almost completely in hold, plus there is a line dance version, so pretty much whatever the rules are in 2010, I think it could definitely work. Zydeco music would make anyone want to dance, IMO. Plus there is a real dance spin that is used. I think it would be excellent, actually :rock:

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
I think it depends on the skaters they choreograph for. For instance, they worked magic with V/M's FD, but for B/A and D/W? Not so much...I very much prefer the choreography of Muriel Zazoui and her partner (an Italian I think?) I think they're much more original....

Btw, just a quote from another site. This is how I would have summed up my feelings about D/W and Muriel Zazoui!

"Davis/White were technically wonderful in the "Eleanor Rigby" free dance, but the dance itself is lacking in depth, like much of the choreography that comes out of the Shpilband/Zoueva camp. (They are also third priority for their coaches, the favorite of neither.) They skated very, very well, and Meryl Davis' expression was particularly wonderful throughout the entire competition. They took a lot of flack after bursting on the senior scene last year, placing 7th, passing several teams their senior, some of whom had sub-par performances. (I noted the most animosity from Kerr fans I spoke to.) I think they will shine particularly in the next Olympic cycle. The class of this group was Pechalat/Bourzat. He has such extraordinary posture and presence and fully extended line. The unusual program was odd and strangely, eerily affecting. Their coach, Muriel Zazoui, is extraordinary in the way that she finds and encourages choreography that is so different for each of her teams. There is no cookie-cutter in the Zazoui stable, and I did read that she had a hand in Silna/Matsjuk's "Saturday Night Fever" program."

from: http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=26856&st=15&start=15

lmarie086

Medalist
Btw, just a quote from another site. This is how I would have summed up my feelings about D/W and Muriel Zazoui!

"Davis/White were technically wonderful in the "Eleanor Rigby" free dance, but the dance itself is lacking in depth, like much of the choreography that comes out of the Shpilband/Zoueva camp. (They are also third priority for their coaches, the favorite of neither.) They skated very, very well, and Meryl Davis' expression was particularly wonderful throughout the entire competition. They took a lot of flack after bursting on the senior scene last year, placing 7th, passing several teams their senior, some of whom had sub-par performances. (I noted the most animosity from Kerr fans I spoke to.) I think they will shine particularly in the next Olympic cycle. from: http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=26856&st=15&start=15

Great quote, thanks for sharing. That's exactly the impression I've gotten of the situation in the Shpilband/Zoueva camp. Tanith and Ben have been Igor's darlings forever and obviously now we see that Tessa and Scott are Marina's darlings. So where do Meryl and Charlie fit in? I don't think that even now when Tanith and Ben have left that they'll all of a sudden become Igor's favorites/darlings. That's why so many times I've thought it would be best for them to go elsewhere, for coaching or choreography, or both.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Really? You don't think Igor will pay more attention to them this season? I think he will. They will be his number one team for the US title. And I think they have the goods to take the title. It's going to be so exciting for dance this year in the US. Especially if G/P come back and with B/A having a new coach.

I think Igor knows what he has in Meryl and Charlie, at least, I hope he does. The international judges have sent a message that they like what they see, now, they need to take that and run with it. They've got to step it up and really look like a Senior team all the time. Igor had better give them 100%, that's all I can say.