Injuries and Ills: 2014-15 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Injuries and Ills: 2014-15

Meoima

Match Penalty
He is trying to follow in his cyborg idol's footsteps and be like Plushenko. He likely feels that until he has screws holding him together, he is not training nearly hard enough.
Eh... For sure I think no ones like screws on their body, including Plushy.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
People are still going on about CoC? God, get over it. That was months ago...

No, people are actually going on about upcoming Worlds.

And I don't think people will get over CoC before Hanyu retires, and some won't even then. It was kinda a big thing. It'd be advisable to start getting used to it now, just to save oneself frustration.

noskates

Record Breaker
Yup - I won't get over it anytime soon.

Hanyu is seemingly too fragile to have a long and successful career. Time will tell, but getting back on the ice too soon because of stubbornness is just foolish.

HanDomi

Record Breaker

Hanyu is seemingly too fragile to have a long and successful career. Time will tell, but getting back on the ice too soon because of stubbornness is just foolish.

It depends what you mean by long career. He already stated he is going to retire after next olympics

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It depends what you mean by long career. He already stated he is going to retire after next olympics

If he keeps doing as he is doing, he's not going to make the next Olympics. That's the primary concern.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If he keeps doing as he is doing, he's not going to make the next Olympics. That's the primary concern.
:cry: I dare not think about the next Olympic at this point, I just want this season to be over soon so he can take a rest with just a few ice shows (as if JSF might allow him to do no ice shows, their sponsors will get angry) :cry:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
If only the Japanese skaters don't have to skates the 50+ ice shows during off-season like the US, Canadian and other countries, they will be better rested and recuperate. I have full respect for them to endure the pressure of the media, the JSF, the pack ice shows schedule in summer etc.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No, people are actually going on about upcoming Worlds.

And I don't think people will get over CoC before Hanyu retires, and some won't even then. It was kinda a big thing. It'd be advisable to start getting used to it now, just to save oneself frustration.

This is true. CoC was a disaster in terms of the collision, Hanyu's decision to continue and the disastrous FS that resulted, and the scoring travesty that still kept him in 2nd place with 5 falls. It was certainly not a defining moment of his otherwise illustrious career, but people tend to remember things like that. e.g. a lot of people remember Midori for jumping out of the boards, or Fusar-Poli's glare.

It's really unfortunate though that people are painting this picture of Hanyu being fragile, when clearly he's a strong competitor. Yes, he's susceptible to injuries and ills... but so is the rest of the field. I hate that people look at the top skaters doing poorly and saying "it must be injury-related", when lower tier skaters also have to compete in spite of injuries, and when they falter when dealing with injuries people chalk it up to them being a poor competitor.

hb2010

Rinkside
If only the Japanese skaters don't have to skates the 50+ ice shows during off-season

:unsure:I don’t get where this idea comes from.
Japanese skaters such as Mao and Dai haven’t appeared in so many ice shows like Yuzu has.
It’s all up to skaters themselves.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

He's already won all the major medals already despite his constant injuries. Boy's a PHENOM.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He's already won all the major medals already despite his constant injuries. Boy's a PHENOM.

Well, he was healthy at the time when he won his major medals (essentially, last season). And I assume he was healthy at the time of the GPF or are people still going to say his CoC injury was affecting him there (sure didn't look like it!).

alia jackson

Record Breaker
I doubt a decade from now people will highly remember the CoC incident or even Patrick Chan gold travesty at Worlds 2012 & 2013. People will remember Chan as 3 times worlds champion, and Yuzu as olympic champion and winner of olympic/worlds/gpf in same year.

Yuzu's mentality, competitiveness and fighting spirit.....that's why the British Eurosport commentator said he is inspirational.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I doubt a decade from now people will highly remember the CoC incident or even Patrick Chan gold travesty at Worlds 2012 & 2013. People will remember Chan as 3 times worlds champion, and Yuzu as olympic champion and winner of olympic/worlds/gpf in same year.
Yuzu's mentality, competitiveness and fighting spirit.....that's why the British Eurosport commentator said he is inspirational.
:clap::clap:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Well, he was healthy at the time when he won his major medals (essentially, last season). And I assume he was healthy at the time of the GPF or are people still going to say his CoC injury was affecting him there (sure didn't look like it!).

Yes he was 1000% healthy. Yes he had the bladder surgery on Dec 30th and he suffered a sprain ankle at end of Jan. No, he does not need rest and recuperate from all that because he is Yuzu, a superhuman. He must have started training the day after the surgery, so he must have fully trained for 3 months...and he will be 1000% healthy and ready next week. Nobody dare think otherwise :rolleye::rolleye:

Seriously....if you think he was 100% healthy at GPF go ahead and if people think he did not fully recovered at GPF so what. What matters is that he will fight till the end and never make excuses for poor performance becoz of injury/collision/illness let alone a zipping overhead camera.

Last edited:

Nemorml

On the Ice
Yes he was 1000% healthy. Yes he had the bladder surgery on Dec 30th and he suffered a sprain ankle at end of Jan. No, he does not need rest and recuperate from all that because he is Yuzu. He must have started training the day after the surgery, so he must have fully trained for 3 months...and he will be 1000% healthy and ready next week. Nobody dare think otherwise :laugh:

According to the recent article by Beverley Smith based on information from Brian Orser he was 5 weeks off-ice, mostly at the hospital because he needed monitoring due to several medication allergies. so the correct span of training time is probably almost 2 months. No need for speculation about his physical condition nor more added pressure and/or expectation. We will see his condition at the actual competition.

unico

Final Flight
It's really unfortunate though that people are painting this picture of Hanyu being fragile, when clearly he's a strong competitor. Yes, he's susceptible to injuries and ills... but so is the rest of the field. I hate that people look at the top skaters doing poorly and saying "it must be injury-related", when lower tier skaters also have to compete in spite of injuries, and when they falter when dealing with injuries people chalk it up to them being a poor competitor.
So what, whenever a "lower tier skater" performs poorly we assume they're injured even if they don't show/say so? Or conversely whenever a "higher tier skater" performs poorly we should say it's because they're a bad competitor? It's beyond obtuse to assume either of those things; regardless of "higher/lower tier", if there are signs or news about an injury (and information is extremely accessible to the public if the skater wishes to reveal it because, you know, the Internet exists), then people are more understanding and sympathetic towards poor performances. If a skater says they are healthy, they are practicing well, and they are confident, then if they underperform it's fair to assume it's because they had a bad competition. And if a skater chooses not to reveal an injury, perhaps they feel it will/should not play a significant factor in how they will compete and be perceived.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I hate that people look at the top skaters doing poorly and saying "it must be injury-related", when lower tier skaters also have to compete in spite of injuries, and when they falter when dealing with injuries people chalk it up to them being a poor competitor.

Actually, it's a pretty reasonable assumption. Higher tier skaters are supposed to skate better so if we know they're capable of good skates, "huh is he injured?" is often the first question that comes to mind. Like when Javi at the Europeans performed even below his inconsistent standards, or when Machida had a meltdown at the GPF.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The season is not over and we have another update, gosh, this thread is dominated by Yuzuru and it's such a terrible sight.

From the other forum:
Mii9000 said:
================
Sponichi Annex through Yahoo News (4/1/2015)
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20150401-00000038-spnannex-spo
Only the 3rd paragraph
=================
He underwent surgery for the first time in his life and received a 4cm long cut. They used a thread that would dissolve in the body after a time, but the part of the thread has not dissolved and came out of his body. He now has an infection around the affected area. To remove the part, he needs a simple surgery, but considering the lack of time before WTT, he decided not to have the surgery ((before WTT??)). He will train and condition himself and go into the competition with the problem in his abdomen, those muscles are required contracted during jumps.
Seriously it's just WTT!!! :unsure:

Last edited: