Is Rachael the one? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Is Rachael the one?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
silverlake22

thank you--i agree with the last sentence. there is a difference between not affording mistakes and can afford mistakes.
rachel has been gifted in technical calls this year by Not getting called on UR at skate america especially on her triple double double and the triple right after and not being called ur in the short on her triple triple.
rachel can be--but All the us skaters to me has to fight harder.
thank you for your answer--i loved it.

I'm glad :yes:. I feel like if someone says the only way a person can win is if other people mess up then it implies that the first skater is "inferior" or "bad". The US ladies may not be the strongest force as a team this year, but I think what is great about them is that each girl has her own strengths, most of them are superior to the other top skaters in at least one aspect.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Relocked & Reloaded

Quote:
Basically, I think it's simply an error to assume that just because someone makes jumping mistakes they belong in shows.
But that's NOT the reason why I suggest Alyssa would be better in shows. She has so-called "Wow" moves that I imagine could be shown off in a stage setting.

Quote:
Hmm, I saw Alissa in a show once and found her totally boring (to my surprise). I think she's much better in competition. Not as in error-free---as in interesting.
Interesting- I think a couple of others have said Alyssa was boring. But I've seen her do galas on TV and she seems to be ok. Maybe live it's different, I dunno.

I mean, I remember saying that Cohen would make a great show skater- this was around 2006 or so. Then I went to see SOI in 2008, and when Cohen skated I found myself to be completely underwhelmed. I found several skaters (hell, even a couple of the guys!!!) to be more enjoyable than her. She just didn't connect with the audience at all, was completely cold. OTOH, Kimmie, who I criticized around the same time to be completely boring and non-inspirational in her gala performance, was surprisingly enjoyable...her love and joy for skating just came through and it was infectious. In fact, she was one of my favorites that year.

Well, lol I guess you never know then.

You guys raise what for me is an interesting and frustrating point. I think the reason you find Alissa and Cohen boring in those shows is because they don't push the technical limit as much. That's fine when there's interesting choreography - for example that number Cohen does where she wears ballet shoes and never touches the ice - but if in shows they just choose to do a version of an LP or SP only with less technical content - of course it's going to be boring!
I have always and forever thought it is a great weakness in figure skating that professional skaters move on to shows where they are not expected to be as technically proficient as they are when competing. If there was a way to fix that figure skating would develop much faster ... essentially it hasn't changed at all in about 100 years. The jumps are more difficult and everything else but there hasn't been a revolution in the way that jazz or modern revolutionalized professional dance. Too bad. Figure skating could be much more. But maybe that come in detriment to figure skating as a sport, which would also be too bad ... I've always been torn on this issue.

ANW

On the Ice
nothing against Rachael but her skating put me into sleep. Mirai, Caroline or Ashley are far more interesting to watch.

life684

Final Flight
nothing against Rachael but her skating put me into sleep. Mirai, Caroline or Ashley are far more interesting to watch.

For me at least Rachael and Caaroline are equally boring, but Ashley and Mirai are very entertaining. If Mirai fixes her rotation she could be the real One.

So, Rachael finishes the Grand Prix season with the highest point total of the American ladies.

I think she's the one! :yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
So, Rachael finishes the Grand Prix season with the highest point total of the American ladies.

I think she's the one! :yes:

..and yet, it's Wagner that ends up making the GPF, and not her... Well...I guess the draws really do make a difference...

Interesting that Trophee Eric Bompard was supposed to be the big blockbuster. But only Kim qualified for the final from that competition.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting that Trophee Eric Bompard was supposed to be the big blockbuster. But only Kim qualified for the final from that competition.

That one really was a bust. Mainly because Mao Asada failed to give Kim the competition she needed to make the event as interesting as it looked on paper...

krenseby

Final Flight
That one really was a bust. Mainly because Mao Asada failed to give Kim the competition she needed to make the event as interesting as it looked on paper...

Well, no worries, now we've got Joannie to challenge Yuna! It has never happened before, of course, but I am pondering the possibility of Joannie beating her! Joannie has scored so high at Skate Canada, that maybe she has some chance of overcoming Yuna, but of course only if Yuna makes quite a few mistakes.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well, no worries, now we've got Joannie to challenge Yuna! It has never happened before, of course, but I am pondering the possibility of Joannie beating her! Joannie has scored so high at Skate Canada, that maybe she has some chance of overcoming Yuna, but of course only if Yuna makes quite a few mistakes.

I agree that Joannie is great, but I think her scores at Canada were a little inflated. I think she should be in podium contention for sure. I predict Yuna, Joannie, and Miki for the GPF podium

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Anybody have thoughts on whether Rachael could benefit by making a move after this season from Tom Z to somebody else? I've thought all season that Alexe Gilles needed to move on from him, but now I'm wondering about Ms Flatt also...

mandykane21

Rinkside
Anybody have thoughts on whether Rachael could benefit by making a move after this season from Tom Z to somebody else? I've thought all season that Alexe Gilles needed to move on from him, but now I'm wondering about Ms Flatt also...

You know what, I don't think she needs a new coach. I think she needs a new choreographer. I would rather judge her staying at the end of the season because Rachael is notorious getting better as the season goes on. I'd like to see where she is in at Nationals and so on. Plus, I think she's in a really good enviorment for her. It's a very supportive place for her, that also naturally encourages her competitivness. Also, her coach seems to think she's made of amazingness. When she was in the KnC at Skate America after the long, she was sitting next to him and he looked right at the camera and held up the number one sign and pointed at her. He's really confident in her and that's just gonna make her confident in herself. So will see if she improves, hopefully she will.

I do think she needs to get rid of Lori. She works with too many of her rivals and she dosen't really create things that work for Rachael. I've always thought that Rachael needed someone around her who could think outside the box. Create things that bring out her strengths. I think she needs more theatrical cheoreography. She dosen't have the great posture, but she moves well. I also think she has great musicality, but they almost never give her things that quite fit her. People think there's nothing really special about her skating but I don't think that's true. I think she needs someone who can bring that out. So, that's just where I'm at.

janetfan

Match Penalty
a little??? :rofl: :rofl: :chorus: :chorus:

Is it not a logical assumption to consider that when Caroline is given low scores the judges are saying they don't like her skating and program?

The answer to that could be yes.

And what about Joannie and Yuna?

Is it some wild theory to come to the conclusion that the judges are letting them know they very much approve of their skating and programs?

Or is it another conspiracy theory?
What was the makeup of those darned biased judges last night anyway?

janetfan

Match Penalty
You know what, I don't think she needs a new coach. I think she needs a new choreographer. I would rather judge her staying at the end of the season because Rachael is notorious getting better as the season goes on. I'd like to see where she is in at Nationals and so on. Plus, I think she's in a really good enviorment for her. It's a very supportive place for her, that also naturally encourages her competitivness. Also, her coach seems to think she's made of amazingness. When she was in the KnC at Skate America after the long, she was sitting next to him and he looked right at the camera and held up the number one sign and pointed at her. He's really confident in her and that's just gonna make her confident in herself. So will see if she improves, hopefully she will.

I do think she needs to get rid of Lori. She works with too many of her rivals and she dosen't really create things that work for Rachael. I've always thought that Rachael needed someone around her who could think outside the box. Create things that bring out her strengths. I think she needs more theatrical cheoreography. She dosen't have the great posture, but she moves well. I also think she has great musicality, but they almost never give her things that quite fit her. People think there's nothing really special about her skating but I don't think that's true. I think she needs someone who can bring that out. So, that's just where I'm at.

Morozov seems to have done a good job of giving Oda a winning personality this year. All he really does is smile on cue and it seems almost magical in the Chaplin routine.

Same with Miki. All of that arm flapping takes the place of real transitions and does a great job of disguising some less than stellar positions and posture.

Rachael does not have the best posture, positions, extenstions, flexibilty and her spins are not top flight either.

So we have another Miki of sorts. A strong jumper who could really use some polishing up.

Why not try Dickson? I think his programs look a little different at times.
I do agree Rachael could benefit greatly from some choreo designed to show her strength and hide her weaknesses.

It is too late for this season though....

mandykane21

Rinkside
Morozov seems to have done a good job of giving Oda a winning personality this year. All he really does is smile on cue and it seems almost magical in the Chaplin routine.

Same with Miki. All of that arm flapping takes the place of real transitions and does a great job of disguising some less than stellar positions and posture.

Rachael does not have the best posture, positions, extenstions, flexibilty and her spins are not top flight either.

So we have another Miki of sorts. A strong jumper who could really use some polishing up.

Why not try Dickson? I think his programs look a little different at times.
I do agree Rachael could benefit greatly from some choreo designed to show her strength and hide her weaknesses.

It is too late for this season though....

Funny you should mention it, I was thinking exactly of Miki but thought no one would agree. :agree:

I think she's alright for the season, as she really seems to like her programs. SHe really seemed to be enjoying them at Skate America so hopefully she can grow with that. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would love to see what Morozov would do with Rachael since I think she has the ability to be quite theatrical and would enjoy all that flailing and drama.